PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Suitable substitute for leadership as a class feature? [Character Concept Help!]

lycantrope
2015-02-05, 09:17 AM
I've been developing a character concept for a future/possibly current campaign, as one does, and I've run into a problem: the prestige class, Noble Scion (PCS: Paths of Prestige), grants leadership at the second level.

Because of the headaches often associated with it, our group has consistently banned leadership and leadership-like abilities. This is not a big deal, except for my inability to think of an alternative feature to pitch to the GM (Hi, Alex! If you're reading this, please feel free to respond!). Even if it's just (Bonus Feat), I'm having trouble coming up with something that would be true to concept and maintain, to some degree, the viability of the build.

Note: the problem with Leadership as far as our group is concerned is two-fold: action-economy breaking and serious potential for game-breaking shenanigans. Though Noble Scion does get a "cohort" at a higher level, the inherent limitations of that class feature render it useful, but without the glaring potential for abuse that Leadership proper suffers from.

The Concept: a first-born bastard of a powerful noble house. He is taken care of financially, but largely as a way of keeping him occupied and away from courtly affairs. His driving goal is to lay claim to his family's lands and fortunes, by any means necessary. Fighting style: duelist. Alignment: Lawful Evil.

The build (generally speaking): Human, 1-5 Warlord (Path of War), 6-15 Noble Scion.

Potential tradeoffs: 1. Instead of leadership, every second and third level counts as warlord level for determining maneuvers known, readied, and stances, and every level counts as a warlord level for determining initiator level. While a powerful alternative, it is paid for not only by the loss of leadership, but also a less than ideal BAB. This is the absolute high end of alternatives I'd be willing to pitch.

2. Instead of level 7, the noble scion gains a servitor at level 2. At level 7, the scion gains an additional servitor that follows the same limitations and conditions.

Unfortunately, that's all I've got so far, and I am eager to read what you all think.