PDA

View Full Version : DC of scroll in Pathfinder

JackRackham
2015-02-05, 03:21 PM
Obviously, the caster level of the creator of the spell is relevant, but whose casting attribute affects DC, the creator of the scrool, or the person casting it?

Bonus questions: would feats that increase effective caster level apply to scroll? Also, if I summon a creature using Summon Monster I as a cleric, can it act in the round I cast it?

Deophaun
2015-02-05, 03:39 PM
Obviously, the caster level of the creator of the spell is relevant, but whose casting attribute affects DC, the creator of the scrool, or the person casting it?
Neither. The DC for a scroll is always 10 + Spell Level + Minimum Ability Modifier to cast.

And you always use the scroll's CL, not yours, and not any feats or abilities that boost your CL. You would need a feat that specifically applied to scrolls/spell completion items.

Psyren
2015-02-05, 04:02 PM

Neither - it's the DC of the minimum ability score needed to cast a spell of that level. So if I have a wizard scroll of sleep, the DC is 11: 10 + 1 (the level of the spell) + 0 (Int score of 11 needed for 1st level spell = +0 modifier). But a scroll of Fireball would be DC 14: 10 + 3 (the level of the spell) + 1 (Int score of 13 needed for 3rd-level spell = +1 modifier.)

Bonus questions: would feats that increase effective caster level apply to scroll? Also, if I summon a creature using Summon Monster I as a cleric, can it act in the round I cast it?

No, none of your feats can be used with scrolls unless otherwise specified. And no, casting a spell from a scroll takes as long as the spell, so the round you cast a summoning spell would be taken up with the full casting time.