PDA

View Full Version : Project Feedback Requested

Olethros
2007-04-05, 10:54 AM
I need some feedback on a world building idea bouncing around my skull. I am thinking of creating a world where magic only exists in the form of magical items, inherently magic abilities, and the spells of dragons. A world where clerics, sorceres and wizards can't conceave of channaling a spell directly through themselves for fear (real) of the magic ripping them appart. Instead they are forced to work there magics into items (craft magic item feats).

The inspiration behind this was a combination of my love of arthurian legends and modern writings of middle/low fantacy, and a desire to showcase melee/skill classes up through the higher levels. I anticipate pure arcane casters to be primarily NPC's unless the alternative gestalt rules are used. Magical healing would mainly be in the form of potions, and lay-on-hands like abilities. Players would be forced to solve problems with more pedestrian tactics and outside the D&D box thinking.

So is this a playable world for D&D? Should I allow all item creation feats, including scrolls and wands, or would this result in placing the emphasis back on the casters, especially at higher levels? What do people think of lowering or possible elliminating the xp expendature for item creation? Any stile idwas or critiques.

Thanks for the feedback.

Olethros
2007-04-06, 10:02 AM
Forgot one more question. Has anybody had problems/success stories with running gestalt campaigns, the idea intregues me, but I am liery.

Umarth
2007-04-06, 11:19 AM
It could work but I think your going to have some challanges.

I'd probably scrap the casting classes all together and come up with new magic item creation rules. Maybe anyone with high enough skill checks and the right magical ingrediants, rituals, or whatever can make magical items.

Olethros
2007-04-06, 03:21 PM
I'd probably scrap the casting classes all together and come up with new magic item creation rules. Maybe anyone with high enough skill checks and the right magical ingrediants, rituals, or whatever can make magical items.

I was considering this also, but the idea was that "someday" the races of the world would be able to cast spells, this was sort of to represent the "early days of magic." But Ill look at it again and try some skill based crafting ideas.

Umarth
2007-04-06, 04:27 PM
Post what you come up with I'd like to see it.

Matthew
2007-04-06, 09:54 PM
Isn't Iron Heroes pretty much this?