PDA

View Full Version : Looking for PrC's that Require Neutral Spellcasting

DurionArcanis
2015-02-05, 04:53 PM
As the title states, I'm looking for spellcasting PrC's that require spellcasting ability but not specified as Arcane or Divine. Particularly due to classes such as Shadowcaster and Warlock that can potentially satisfy those neutral spellcasting requirements. Is there a list of them anywhere? If not, which do you know of off the top of your head? All I can think of are those that were specifically designed for the Shadowcaster or Warlock in particular, those being in the Tome of Magic and Complete Arcane/Complete Mage.

j_spencer93
2015-02-05, 05:02 PM
As the title states, I'm looking for spellcasting PrC's that require spellcasting ability but not specified as Arcane or Divine. Particularly due to classes such as Shadowcaster and Warlock that can potentially satisfy those neutral spellcasting requirements. Is there a list of them anywhere? If not, which do you know of off the top of your head? All I can think of are those that were specifically designed for the Shadowcaster or Warlock in particular, those being in the Tome of Magic and Complete Arcane/Complete Mage.

If i am not mistaked warlocks count as arcane actually...maybe shadowcasters too. Actually yes

Troacctid
2015-02-05, 05:02 PM
Paragnostic Apostle. Ruathar. Sentinel of Bharrai. Urban Savant. Divine Oracle, Earth Dreamer, and Shadowcraft Mage, for Shadowcasters. Blood Magus, Demonbinder, and Arachnomancer, for Warlocks.

There are some that you can get into by taking a 1-level dip in another class (effectively making them 10/11 casting advancement), like Stormsinger with a Bard dip, or Winterhaunt of Iborighu with a Cleric dip.

These are just off the top of my head. I don't know of a list.

gorfnab
2015-02-05, 06:12 PM
The Warlock Informaton Compilation (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2997.0) and the Compiled Shadowcaster Handbook (in my signature) have listings for prestige classes they qualify for.

DurionArcanis
2015-02-06, 12:02 AM
If i am not mistaked warlocks count as arcane actually...maybe shadowcasters too. Actually yes

Neither Warlocks nor Shadowcasters count as casting arcane spells for the purposes of qualifying for prestige classes. It states as directly in the books, under the prestige class entry in Tome of Magic and Complete Arcane.

And thankyou Gorfnab I will definitely look at those links.

j_spencer93
2015-02-06, 03:33 PM
I was about to argue but realized i miss read your post actually.

Troacctid
2015-02-06, 03:38 PM
Warlocks do count as arcane, they just don't count as having spells. So they can get into, like, Blood Magus (requires arcane caster level 5) where Shadowcasters can't.

Psyren
2015-02-06, 03:40 PM
As others have said, Warlocks do count as arcane - it's the "spellcaster" part that they generally have trouble with.

DurionArcanis
2015-02-06, 03:47 PM
Right. It's part of the problem with trying to make a build of a dual Shadowcaster/Warlock, there's no PrC to enter that will benefit them both. The closest you can get is probably the Eldritch Theurge which would still require a minor houseruling to let the Shadowcaster qualify for it and benefit from it's abilities.

Hence looking into PrC's that each class can enter and trying to see if I can possibly build a viable character with a balanced focus on both Shadow Magic and Eldritch.

j_spencer93
2015-02-06, 03:49 PM
actually i have done this sir. Warlock/shadowcaster

start off wizard/shadowcaster until you get into mystic therurge (think that arcane heriphant might do it to), take 1 shadowcaster trading all wizard levels for it, and now you can advance both.

Troacctid
2015-02-06, 03:51 PM
actually i have done this sir. Warlock/shadowcaster

start off wizard/shadowcaster until you get into mystic therurge (think that arcane heriphant might do it to), take 1 shadowcaster trading all wizard levels for it, and now you can advance both.

Both Noctumancer and Mystic Theurge can give you dual progression in Shadowcaster and Warlock, but the problem is if you trade away your Wizard levels, you no longer qualify to take more levels in the prestige class.

j_spencer93
2015-02-06, 03:57 PM
Both Noctumancer and Mystic Theurge can give you dual progression in Shadowcaster and Warlock, but the problem is if you trade away your Wizard levels, you no longer qualify to take more levels in the prestige class.

that was it noctumancer! and ya keep that 1 level of wizard are trade it out at the very end (or simply take that questionable feat everyone mentions that gives warlock cantrip or something like that). Personally it is a cool build and really worth it. Also don't forget shadowcaster counts their weakest mysteries as arcane spells, but that might take some DM to count.

Psyren
2015-02-06, 03:57 PM
Just ask your DM to houserule you something existing or homebrew a theurge just for those two. They are close enough thematically and weak enough mechanically that this shouldn't be a big issue.

DurionArcanis
2015-02-06, 04:13 PM
A couple things about that creeping darkness feature.

When a multiclass sorcerer or wizard gains a new shadowcaster
level, she can choose to sacrifice a preexisting level of sorcerer
or wizard, in exchange for an additional shadowcaster level. For
instance, a 3rd-level wizard/4th-level shadowcaster who attains
a new shadowcaster level becomes either a 3rd-level wizard/5thlevel
shadowcaster, or a 2nd-level wizard/6th-level shadowcaster.
A character can exchange only one such level at a time.

You can’t lose a feat or class ability that would make you ineligible
for any other feat or prestige class you already have,
even if this means you can no longer take advantage of the
creeping darkness feature.

Emphasis mine.

Also, while a longstanding debate, by RAW you only need to meet the requirements to enter the prestige class, not advance within it (otherwise classes like the Dragon Disciple actually disqualify themselves at a certain point lol). Unless of course it states otherwise in the PrC itself. Thus, while you can technically rid yourself of all your Wizard levels somehow and still progress in the class, the Creeping Darkness feature wouldn't allow you to get rid of everything anyway.

Also, you never said anything about Warlock levels anywhere in there j_spencer93 :P

Psyren, I agree that the possibility of a homebrew like that isn't too big of a deal due to the power of the entry classes, however not all DM's would agree to a homebrew anything, let alone a homebrew theurge. (I've actually known DM's to ban Theurge type PrC's, or if not some heavily restrict building into them.)

j_spencer93
2015-02-06, 05:06 PM
A couple things about that creeping darkness feature.

Emphasis mine.

Also, while a longstanding debate, by RAW you only need to meet the requirements to enter the prestige class, not advance within it (otherwise classes like the Dragon Disciple actually disqualify themselves at a certain point lol). Unless of course it states otherwise in the PrC itself. Thus, while you can technically rid yourself of all your Wizard levels somehow and still progress in the class, the Creeping Darkness feature wouldn't allow you to get rid of everything anyway.

Also, you never said anything about Warlock levels anywhere in there j_spencer93 :P

Psyren, I agree that the possibility of a homebrew like that isn't too big of a deal due to the power of the entry classes, however not all DM's would agree to a homebrew anything, let alone a homebrew theurge. (I've actually known DM's to ban Theurge type PrC's, or if not some heavily restrict building into them.)

I am confused. What you mean i didn't say anything about warlock levels?
EDIT: NVM i assume you were mentioning my example which didn't have warock levels lol.

Precocious apprentice wizard 1, shadowcaster 1, and Warlock 3? i think works to get you into noctumancer (i am not referencing my character at the moment so trying to go by memory)

As to the OP i have a not so old post myself about mixing these two, a little browsing might find it.