PDA

View Full Version : NInja spellwarp sniper gestalt

Nosta
2015-02-05, 06:47 PM
so i've been building a few characters to have in reserves since my current might not last to long

and this time i've want to try to build a ninja spellwarp sniper build

I just have a few questions

1st: what race:
2nd what base spell casting class
3 out of 7 feats including point blank shot what should i take

and what else should i do to make the build strong?

(Un)Inspired
2015-02-05, 06:54 PM
See if your DM will let you use the PF ninja instead of the 3.5 one. It's leaps and/or bounds better.

Nosta
2015-02-05, 07:11 PM
See if your DM will let you use the PF ninja instead of the 3.5 one. It's leaps and/or bounds better.

sorry forgot to say only 3.0 3.5 and DRM allowed

(Un)Inspired
2015-02-05, 07:15 PM
Do you think you could get your DM to let spellwarp sniper advance a scout's skirmish damage?

Nosta
2015-02-05, 07:18 PM
Do you think you could get your DM to let spellwarp sniper advance a scout's skirmish damage?

ya more than likely

(Un)Inspired
2015-02-05, 07:30 PM
I would go with scout instead of ninja then. If you're using spells to deliver damage then it's a hullova lot easier to get Skirmish damage at range than it is to get Sneak Attack or Sudden Strike.

Nosta
2015-02-05, 07:33 PM
I would go with scout instead of ninja then. If you're using spells to deliver damage then it's a hullova lot easier to get Skirmish damage at range than it is to get Sneak Attack or Sudden Strike.

I've heard that there is an alternate to skirmish that gets extra damage from shooting far away is that any good?

DMVerdandi
2015-02-05, 07:41 PM
1. Human
2.Evoker Wizard with Spontaneous Divination ACF
3.Improved Initiative, Practiced spellcaster (wizard), Invisible spell

Invisible spell is FANTASTIC. Definite sleeper. For example, Using different types of fog (stinking cloud or solid fog or cloud kill for example), as a barrier for when you are sniping to keep enemies out is a great idea.

Also making invisible walls or summons. Now you can use the rest of your spells to keep on sniping.

If you have the capability to use a spell point wizard. DO IT.

(Un)Inspired
2015-02-05, 07:45 PM
I've heard that there is an alternate to skirmish that gets extra damage from shooting far away is that any good?

I'm unfamiliar with that.

I would go with something like Scout 1/Wizard 5/Unseen Seer 10/Wizard 4//Rogue 1/Wu Jen 5/Spellwarp Sniper 5/Arcane Trickster 9

With this Gestalt you'll have spell out the wazoo (which is exactly where you want spells to come out) huge sneak attack, huge skirmish damage, huge skills (take able learner at lvl 1) and oriental flavor from Wu Jen instead of ninja.

Nosta
2015-02-05, 07:48 PM
I'm unfamiliar with that.

I would go with something like Scout 1/Wizard 5/Unseen Seer 10/Wizard 4//Rogue 1/Wu Jen 5/Spellwarp Sniper 5/Arcane Trickster 9

With this Gestalt you'll have spell out the wazoo (which is exactly where you want spells to come out) huge sneak attack, huge skirmish damage, huge skills (take able learner at lvl 1) and oriental flavor from Wu Jen instead of ninja.

what 8 feats should i take. the theme here is magical assassin

(Un)Inspired
2015-02-05, 07:57 PM
what 8 feats should i take. the theme here is magical assassin

Craven (which I think should be titled Pragmatic) from Champions of a Ruin adds your level to the damage for all sneak attacks.

Quicken meta magic is great for getting more spells out each turn to sneak attack with

Twin Spell for the exact same reason as above.

Extend spell is great for keeping you buffs up longer.

Able learner is absolutely fantastic with Rogue and Scout as your lvl 1 classes especially with your huge int.

Reserves of Strength from the Drsgonlance Campaign Setting is unbelievably strong, especially for getting out unreal numbers of objects thrown with the telekinesis spell (sneak attack and skirmish on all of them)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-02-05, 10:52 PM
Absolutely go with a spontaneous spellcasting class, such as Sorcerer or Warmage, and get Invisible Spell. Whenever you cast as spell that makes multiple attacks, such as Scorching Ray, you normally only get to add precision damage, such as sneak attack or sudden strike, to the first attack it makes. However, due to a clarification in the Rules Compendium p42 (last bullet point), you get to add precision damage to every attack if it takes a full-round action to cast, such as a spontaneous caster using a metamagic feat. So an Invisible Scorching Ray still takes a 2nd level spell slot, and adds sneak attack, sudden strike, and every other type of precision damage to every attack you make. You can also use Split Ray to make an additional attack with it, and you can get Easy Metamagic or Practical Metamagic so it's only a +1 metamagic cost.

A Scout's skirmish damage is also precision damage, and since you have to move before you can benefit from it, you can't use it with a spell that makes multiple attacks. You should have access to Greater Invisibility, and with Invisible Spell hiding the direction the spell came from as well, you're better off using either sneak attack or sudden strike (or both).

What level are you starting play at?

Nosta
2015-02-06, 01:21 AM
Absolutely go with a spontaneous spellcasting class, such as Sorcerer or Warmage, and get Invisible Spell. Whenever you cast as spell that makes multiple attacks, such as Scorching Ray, you normally only get to add precision damage, such as sneak attack or sudden strike, to the first attack it makes. However, due to a clarification in the Rules Compendium p42 (last bullet point), you get to add precision damage to every attack if it takes a full-round action to cast, such as a spontaneous caster using a metamagic feat. So an Invisible Scorching Ray still takes a 2nd level spell slot, and adds sneak attack, sudden strike, and every other type of precision damage to every attack you make. You can also use Split Ray to make an additional attack with it, and you can get Easy Metamagic or Practical Metamagic so it's only a +1 metamagic cost.

A Scout's skirmish damage is also precision damage, and since you have to move before you can benefit from it, you can't use it with a spell that makes multiple attacks. You should have access to Greater Invisibility, and with Invisible Spell hiding the direction the spell came from as well, you're better off using either sneak attack or sudden strike (or both).

What level are you starting play at?

level 8 the game started us at level 4 and the gm says it'll end around 10 or 12

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-02-06, 10:21 AM
So assuming this character would begin play at the party's current level of 8th, you should have access to Greater Invisibility immediately. Even if you don't, you can UMD a Wand of Swift Invisibility, which per Rules Compendium has an activation time identical to the spell's casting time, and use that to disappear before casting your full-round scorching ray.

I would go Psychic Rogue (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b) 1/ Ninja 7+// Sorcerer 5/ Unseen Seer 1/ Spellwarp Sniper 2+, use the Dragonblood Sorcerer 1 substitution level or otherwise trade out your familiar for something, and use free class features (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20061013a). Get two flaws (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm) (more here (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?258440-The-quot-Best-quot-Flaws#30)) for two extra feats. take Craven, Darkstalker, any metamagic feat, Invisible Spell, Split Ray, and Easy Metamagic or Practical Metamagic: Split Ray. Consider taking Ancestral Relic for a custom Runestaff (www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?267805-Sorcerer-Handbook#4), and consider picking up Obtain Familiar and Improved Familiar for an Imp, Quasit, or Pseudodragon. That one level of Psychic Rogue allows you to use Dorjes (psionic wands) of any power on their class list. Unseen Seer increases your sneak attack by 1d6, so you have 2d6 sneak attack and 4d6 sudden strike, so your Invisible Scorching Ray hits twice for 10d6 per hit, or an Invisible Split Ray Scorching Ray from a 3rd level spell slot hits three times for 10d6 per hit. That's all within 30 ft., but with Greater Invisibility you should be fairly safe.