PDA

View Full Version : The World of Geilinor! Adaption of Runescape into 3.5 Campaign

MesiDoomstalker
2015-02-05, 07:37 PM
So I've been wanting to run a game in Geilinor, the world from the MMO Runescape. I've been putting thought into it. Adapting the world to 3.5 shouldn't be too hard, and I mostly want second (or 20) pair of eyes (since my player have never played, so they can't really help in that regard). I'm aiming on adapting it specifically for my players (since I know them). One big thing I want to do is have the 6th Age quest, The World Wakes, be the climatic end to the campaign. Which means that all quests leading up to it must end in such a fashion as in the game (if not exactly, close enough) though the actual ending can be anything. I've got some word vomit that I need to work on. I'm mainly looking if theres anything I missed that I need to address, I'm sure there is. Secondary the order of quests I should do. I know I won't be able to do ALL quests (cause that take forever), but the main quests leading to World Wakes; Ritual Of the Mahjaraat, The Firemaker's Curse, The Chosen Commander, The Void Stares Back and Branches of Darkmeyer. Ritual of the Mahjaraat is the trickiest, because the insane number of quest lines related to (and IG required) to complete it.

Heres some word vomit on ideas to adapt 3.5 to the world:
Alterations to Rules, Feats, and Classes

Alterations:
No Eschew Materials
No Divination specialization
Remove “ask your god” variety of Divinations\
Arcane Casters gains periodic Warlock-like SLA’s in the flavour of Elemental spells
Add Ancient/Lunar Magick spells as normal (but not normally accessible) spells
Alter Teleport: Level 2, CL based location list
Add Ancient Teleport: Level 3, also CL based location
Make Domain’s for All Dieties
Zamorak banned (due to story than anything else)
Ban Summon X Y lines (most critters don’t exist)

Potential Races: As is, Geilinor lacks a lot of variety in typical PC races. I compiled a list of possible PC-able races. I'll brew up some LA 0 varieties of them (since a fair number won't be), but I'm not sure if I should include all of them.
Human
Elf**
Gnome
Dwarf
TzHaar***
Troll*
Ogre*
Goblin*
Fairies? *
Werewolves?*
Monkey?*
Penguin?*
Siren?*
*Needs homebrew made
**Needs reason to be in Human lands/disguise
***4 subraces needing homebrew

And a list of quest series I'm planning on running (though in no specific order):
Desert Series
Dragonkin Series
Gnome Series
Monkey Series
Myrque Series
Pirate Series
Temple Knight Series
Dorgeshunn Series
Elf Series
Fairy Tale Series
Fremennik Series
Mahjarrat Series
Lucian Series
Zaros Return
Curse of Arrav
Rise of the Red Axe

6th Age Series/Edler Gods (end game)

Side Quest Series
Penguin Series
Elemental Workshop Series
Sea Slug Series
Void Knight Series
Camelot Series
Troll Series
TzHaar Series

Troacctid
2015-02-05, 09:22 PM
I love the setting for D&D because there are so many memorable locations and quest lines that you can drop into your game if the players wander that way--the map has no blank spaces! However, I wouldn't go too deep on emulating it. You want the major races laid out, including their languages (http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Languages) (which your players should be aware of for the Speak Language skill), but otherwise, for a group that's not familiar with RuneScape, there's not much to gain by homebrewing a bunch of changes to the magic system or whatnot.

Aviantese: Don't forget Armadyl's people! Raptorans fit perfectly for all your Aviansie needs.
Cats: They are sentient in this world, so it could technically work! Think tibbits, but always in cat form.
Dwarves: Dwarves in Gielinor have the odd quirk of being unable to use magic. I'm not sure how you'd want to deal with that.
Fairies: Probably not a playable race. Or if they are, they'd have a level adjustment--pixies could work.
Gnomes: Use the forest gnome (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/gnome.htm#forestGnome) instead of the default version.
Goblins: You'll want stats for both standard goblins and Dorgeshuun goblins.
Golems: Golems could be playable using warforged stats.
Gorajo: These guys are a thing! Could totally be playable, and they come in multiple varieties. I'm not sure how I'd stat them up, though.
Monkeys: Only the little monkeys should be playable, not the gorillas or ninjas. I would give them +4 Dex, -2 Int, a climb speed, and low-light vision.
Ogres: I don't think they work at LA 0 since they really want to be large sized.
Sirens: Yeah, that could work. Swim speed, maybe +2 Cha, -2 Dex, some sort of singing-based spell-like ability.
TzHaar: I would not make them a playable race, as they don't really leave the volcano, so they don't make sense as adventurers. However, you might brew something up for Ga'al.
Trolls: Like ogres, they probably don't work well at LA 0.
Werewolves: There are stats out there for various forms of werewolves, most of which have level adjustments. If you want them to be LA 0, you could use shifters, or homebrew something. However, I'd be more inclined to just give them a level adjustment, since they are quite strong.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-02-05, 09:49 PM
I love the setting for D&D because there are so many memorable locations and quest lines that you can drop into your game if the players wander that way--the map has no blank spaces! However, I wouldn't go too deep on emulating it. You want the major races laid out, including their languages (http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Languages) (which your players should be aware of for the Speak Language skill), but otherwise, for a group that's not familiar with RuneScape, there's not much to gain by homebrewing a bunch of changes to the magic system or whatnot.

Aviantese: Don't forget Armadyl's people! Raptorans fit perfectly for all your Aviansie needs.
Cats: They are sentient in this world, so it could technically work! Think tibbits, but always in cat form.
Dwarves: Dwarves in Gielinor have the odd quirk of being unable to use magic. I'm not sure how you'd want to deal with that.
Fairies: Probably not a playable race. Or if they are, they'd have a level adjustment--pixies could work.
Gnomes: Use the forest gnome (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/gnome.htm#forestGnome) instead of the default version.
Goblins: You'll want stats for both standard goblins and Dorgeshuun goblins.
Golems: Golems could be playable using warforged stats.
Gorajo: These guys are a thing! Could totally be playable, and they come in multiple varieties. I'm not sure how I'd stat them up, though.
Monkeys: Only the little monkeys should be playable, not the gorillas or ninjas. I would give them +4 Dex, -2 Int, a climb speed, and low-light vision.
Ogres: I don't think they work at LA 0 since they really want to be large sized.
Sirens: Yeah, that could work. Swim speed, maybe +2 Cha, -2 Dex, some sort of singing-based spell-like ability.
TzHaar: I would not make them a playable race, as they don't really leave the volcano, so they don't make sense as adventurers. However, you might brew something up for Ga'al.
Trolls: Like ogres, they probably don't work well at LA 0.
Werewolves: There are stats out there for various forms of werewolves, most of which have level adjustments. If you want them to be LA 0, you could use shifters, or homebrew something. However, I'd be more inclined to just give them a level adjustment, since they are quite strong.

I plan on starting at level 2 or 3, so anything with LA or RHD will pretty much never be played (since it only be if someone re-rolls later). I probably won't make ALL Bandosian races playable, but Trolls, at the very least, have a definite Age=Strength/Size, so a LA 0 could be a young adult Troll instead of an older one.
Dwarves I'd probably ban from Arcane Classes (Prayer IE Divine Magic is different than Magic, so it be fine)
Honestly, Fairies don't have much if any of the Pixie Racials, so you can strip most of them off without much issue and trim that LA down to 1 or 0.
Golems are presented as non-sentient and ancient. The only one's we've seen that are capable of some kind of indepedent thought (off-hand at least) are the ones you find in World Wakes which is likely because Guthix created them.
Gorajo I honestly don't want to touch because there is so little we really know about them. I know my players they'll be curious and theres too much blank for me to work off of (even mechanically).
I want TzHaar mainly because A) Ga'al are a thing and B) I know one of my players would love to play one.
On second thought, Werewolves is bad idea. I don't have access to Shifters and in general they are too Zamarok focused (which I'm trying to avoid simply because Zamorak and his followers are more often than not the villain).

On Aviantese: I'm conflicted on this. The only ones still alive are in the God Wars Dungeon. They don't venture out of there till World Wakes and the 6th Age. The game will start in the 5th Age and end with the turning of the 6th Age (unless the players want more), so the only Aviantese they could play are thousands of years old and with years of war experience and be completely lost in the 'modern' Geilinor. And also be a defector because I doubt Kee'arra would allow one to leave the battlefield. However, bird people!

kellbyb
2015-02-05, 10:40 PM
I wouldn't ban Zamorak. Players in Runescape can openly worship him, so I don't feel that there's a story conflict with that.

On Aviantese: I'm conflicted on this. The only ones still alive are in the God Wars Dungeon. They don't venture out of there till World Wakes and the 6th Age. The game will start in the 5th Age and end with the turning of the 6th Age (unless the players want more), so the only Aviantese they could play are thousands of years old and with years of war experience and be completely lost in the 'modern' Geilinor. And also be a defector because I doubt Kee'arra would allow one to leave the battlefield. However, bird people!

Yeah, aviansie should definitely not be a PC race.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-02-05, 10:48 PM
I wouldn't ban Zamorak. Players in Runescape can openly worship him, so I don't feel that there's a story conflict with that.

Yeah, aviansie should definitely not be a PC race.

Yes players. In-game, your given one, or maybe 2 choices (more in more recent content) but ultimately, quests playout through a pre-determined storyline. Many of those story lines feature Zamorak or his followers as antagonist. If one or more of my players are Zamorakian, then it strains suspension of disbelief (and their character motives) to be against their fellows. Some quests feature Saradominist or Bandosian antagonist, but they are typically of the "mis-understanding the message" variety (or in Bandos case, his whole philosophy is pretty inclusive of in-fighting), so that won't cause as much issue. That, and I know my players. When given a CN Diety whose whole shtick is "Chaos and lots of it" I'll end up with tons of Chaotic Stupid.

Edit: The point I'm getting at is I'd rather players follow the plot by choice, not because "I said so." I guess you could say that is semantics, since I'm not given them the option and still "I say so" but they know I prefer a more Good-oriented game. The only ones I really need to worry about is our token Minionmancer and the one who tends to be Chaotic something regardless.

Troacctid
2015-02-05, 11:33 PM
I don't think Zamorak is CN. He's pretty unambiguously CE, by the D&D definitions of Evil. He just doesn't think there's anything wrong with that.

Aviantese should be allowed because they're cool and fun and they exist in canon.

kellbyb
2015-02-05, 11:37 PM
Yes players. In-game, your given one, or maybe 2 choices (more in more recent content) but ultimately, quests playout through a pre-determined storyline. Many of those story lines feature Zamorak or his followers as antagonist. If one or more of my players are Zamorakian, then it strains suspension of disbelief (and their character motives) to be against their fellows. Some quests feature Saradominist or Bandosian antagonist, but they are typically of the "mis-understanding the message" variety (or in Bandos case, his whole philosophy is pretty inclusive of in-fighting), so that won't cause as much issue. That, and I know my players. When given a CN Diety whose whole shtick is "Chaos and lots of it" I'll end up with tons of Chaotic Stupid.

Edit: The point I'm getting at is I'd rather players follow the plot by choice, not because "I said so." I guess you could say that is semantics, since I'm not given them the option and still "I say so" but they know I prefer a more Good-oriented game. The only ones I really need to worry about is our token Minionmancer and the one who tends to be Chaotic something regardless.

Zamorakian philosophy is not as exclusively chaotic stupid as you might think. That said, it's at your discretion to determine if your players are capable of handling it maturely. That's all I have to say.

I don't think Zamorak is CN. He's pretty unambiguously CE, by the D&D definitions of Evil. He just doesn't think there's anything wrong with that.

Aviantese should be allowed because they're cool and fun and they exist in canon.

Yes, Zamorak's definitely CE. I still think he's a pretty cool guy, most things considered.

MesiDoomstalker
2015-02-05, 11:38 PM

Zamorakian followers are typically CE. Zamorak himself and his ideologies are closer to Chaos than Evil. At the very least, the way I'll be running it, none of the main 3 dieties will have anything but Neutral on the Moral axis. Bandos may run into CE. Zaros I'm intentionally not giving an alignment because he's kind of hard to pin down in my opinion.

Troacctid
2015-02-06, 01:32 AM
Bandos is the very picture of Lawful Evil. He's all about domination. Just look at his memories from The Mighty Fall. This guy would totally be best buds with Hextor. Domains: Competition, Destruction, Domination, Evil, Law, Strength, Tyranny, War

Saradomin believes that his power gives him the responsibility to use it to protect the people of Gielinor. He doesn't always live up to his own ideal, but he tries. Neutral Good. Domains: Glory, Good, Healing, Inquisition, Knowledge, Pride, Protection.

Guthix represents nature and balance and letting people live their lives without interference from the gods. True Neutral. Domains: Animal, Balance, Healing, Liberation, Life, Plant, Renewal

Armadyl wants to empower his followers to coexist with the gods and self-govern and stuff. He is self-proclaimed Lawful, so I guess Lawful Good. Domains: Air, Community, Courage, Good, Law, Liberation, Sky

Zaros is still banished at this point in the timeline, but he's True Neutral (AKA Unaligned). Domains: Fate, Darkness, Destiny, Knowledge, Planning, Shadow

Seren is probably also True Neutral/Unaligned. Domains: Balance, Community, Elf, Life, Magic, Renewal

Marimbo is very hedonistic and probably Chaotic Neutral. Domains: Animal, Feast, Gluttony, Lust, Madness, Passion, Sloth, Trickery

Baxter Konrad
2015-02-06, 04:15 AM
Questmaster here! I've beaten them all, so I help some on lore!

Zamorak may be Chaotic Evil, but his followers aren't always evil. "Strength through Chaos!" is their mantra, and one of the wizard quests showed how that can be turned towards a greater good. Zamorak's followers can be anyone Evil, but also anyone who values personal accomplishment and individual skill over the group.

Likewise, Saradomin is NOT Neutral Good. He is Lawful Neutral. The most important thing to Saradomin is Order. He wants peace and stability, but he is more than willing to claim it by the sword and will not hesitate to destroy anything that stands in his way. He aspires to do Good, but he is fundamentally flawed. If he is Lawful Good, then it is LAWFUL good.

Armadyl I would consider to be a Good deity. Lawful or Neutral I'm not sure, but definitely Good. Wise, compassionate, always seeking a peaceful solution; Armadyl will fight, but he will not SEEK to fight the way Saradomin does.

Seren... not enough is known. But based on what I know of Zaros, I'd say Chaotic Good.

Zaros is not True Neutral. Not at all. GUTHIX is True Neutral, seeking balance in all things. Zaros is Lawful Evil. Reasons why in spoilers, just in case.
Zaros is a being of darkness. I know, Darkness =/= Evil, but he is also a very distant entity. He has a purpose, a goal to accomplish, and he is willing to tolerate a great deal to accomplish that goal. Zaros as Lawful Evil is much like Saradomin - LAWFUL is the important part. Zaros has a code of honour, of sorts. He is not cruel, nor malicious, but he is ordered.

And he IS Evil! He robs people of their free will without even trying to. It is an innate power of his; all who look upon him are compelled to serve. You cannot be anything but Evil if the very presence of you robs people of their free will!

So yeah, Zaros is Lawful Evil. He doesn't commit Evil that often, but because of his innate abilities, and because of what he has done in the past, or allowed to be done in his name; because power is a means to an end for him, and because of that power; he is Evil. Just not your typical, D&D Evil.
If Zaros is still banished, then he should be a Lawful / Neutral Evil deity. Think about what is associated with him and his empire; Demons, Dark Magic, Vampires, insane Mahjarrat who will happily wipe out entire civilizations - Zaros' followers may not be as overtly Evil as Zamorak's mob, but they wear all the trimmings and there is definitely something amiss about them.