PDA

View Full Version : Intelligent Items

Rakeesh
2007-04-05, 11:57 AM
Playgrounders,

I'm looking at the rules for prices on intelligent items, and I'm having some difficulty in making sure I understand them correctly. Mostly because they seem to offer some pretty inexpensive ways to access some pretty darn good things.

So, let's start with something simple, then. An intelligent item must first be magical in and of itself. Let's say a +1 Ring of Protection. 2000gp base price.

To then calculate what it takes for it to be intelligent, you've got to assign an alignment, get its languages spoken and mental ability scores, determine what its lesser and greater powers (or purpose) is, and then figure its ego score, is that right?

So, with this +1 Ring of Protection, you start out at 2000gp. Let's say you want to go with the lowest tier of abilities. 12,12,10, Empathy, one lesser power, 30' vision & hearing, this costs an extra 1000gp.

Now the price is 3000gp for the now-intelligent Ring of Protection +1.

Then you pick a lesser power. Say, Zone of Truth 3/day. 6500gp. Now the intelligent Ring of Protection +1 costs 9500gp It can speak no languages, communicate empathically with its wearer, and see and hear within a 30' radius.

It would have an Ego score of 5. Am I getting all that right? Thanks for the help anyone can provide :)

JackMage666
2007-04-05, 12:04 PM
Zone of Truth 3/day for 7500 gp? I don't know, that doesn't seem cheap.

Kultrum
2007-04-05, 01:47 PM
I think thats right (has problems w/ Intelligent Items himself)

Jasdoif
2007-04-05, 02:21 PM
The cost is right...but how do you get an ego score of 5? Looks like 3 to me....+1 for each of the two ability bonuses for the two 12 ability scores, and +1 for the lesser power. A ring of protection doesn't have an enhancement bonus, and I'm pretty sure the "+1 of bonus" refers to special abilities that are the cost equivalent of an enhancement bonus. As fair as I'm aware only weapons, armor and shields have those.

Don't forget that an intelligent item has an alignment as well. Barring any consideration other then its lesser power I'd say it's likely Lawful Neutral, but in theory it could be any alignment.