PDA

View Full Version : Help with Variant Human Palificer build

zhdarkstar
2015-02-05, 08:30 PM
After seeing the UA pdf, I came up with an interesting multiclass build. It still needs refinement in gear/spell/feat selection, but this is what I have so far.

Str 16 Dex 8 Con 14 Int 13 Wis 10 Cha 14
Racial bumps to Str/Int
Feat: Resilient(Con)
1st: Pal 1
2nd: Pal 2
3rd: Wiz 1
4th: Wiz 2(Artificer)
5th: Pal 3(Vengeance)
6th: Pal 4 Str+2
7th: Pal 5
8th: Wiz 3
9th: Wiz 4 Str+2
10th: Wiz 5
11th: Wiz 6
12th: Pal 6
13th: Pal 7
14th: Pal 8 War Caster(?)
15th: Pal 9
16th: Wiz 7
17th: Wiz 8 Cha+2
18th: Wiz 9
19th: Wiz 10
20th: Wiz 11

It's more combat-oriented than a Clerificer, but can eventually pop out some decent support scrolls. Granted it does take 50% longer to print Revivify scrolls, 15 instead of 10 levels. Let me know how I can improve this build.

Felvion
2015-02-06, 08:08 AM
I'm no expert in such builds but i can't see the reason for strength increase rush. You could definatelly bump your con at lvl 9 or even 6 because you are supposed to spend a lot of time in melee and your hp already hurt from the wiz dips. For the same reason you should probably consider picking warcaster earlier.
That's all i had to add, as i said i'm no expert on op lvl20 builds. Also i can't help but mention the really mad class combination, an EK could possibly better fit the martial role although the fluff is different. You get rid of the cha dependency, you lose some slots in overall and all the nice pally stuff but you also get action surge and more attacks... It's a matter of build perspective obviously.

Person_Man
2015-02-06, 08:21 AM
My 2 cp:

I'm not seeing any synergy between the Paladin and Wizard. Is there some particular combo I'm missing?

I assume you're going to be relying on melee attacks for your at-will damage, or your wouldn't be taking levels of Paladin. If that's the case, I suggest your first 5 levels be strait Paladin so that you can get Extra Attack at level 5 and not fall 50% behind your allies for a couple of levels.

The main benefit of playing a Paladin is the Auras. (Not Smite. Every non-full caster gets respectable bonus damage sources). But your Charisma is 14, so the benefit from your Auras is minimal. You might want to consider Eldritch Knight Fighter instead, or Bard in place of Wizard.

The bonus from Resilient isn't particularly useful at low levels. You may wish to consider another Feat instead, like one of the Master Feats.

zhdarkstar
2015-02-06, 03:44 PM
This build was conceived as part of an experiment in multiclassing various casters with the Artificer subclass. I know that Eldritch Knight works better for pure combat. This build was trying to find a balance between Knightificer's combat prowess with Clerificer's support abilities.

Lore Bardificer is what I call the Universal Remote Controller. Closest thing to the 3.5 artificer's MacGyver-esque flexibility. Tomelockificers are a close second.