PDA

View Full Version : Can't Find an Answer

b4ndito
2015-02-05, 09:26 PM
Does Wall of Smoke (SpC) prompt a fort save each round a target is inside the effect, or just one save per creature affected?

Thanks!

Crake
2015-02-05, 09:47 PM
Does Wall of Smoke (SpC) prompt a fort save each round a target is inside the effect, or just one save per creature affected?

Thanks!

Since it's a thin wall, rather than, say, a 5 ft thick wall, I'd say that simply standing in a square the wall passes through (if it's diagonal, or if you're large) does not prompt a fortitude save, however the creature must decide which side of the wall he is on for the purposes of the concealment. If the creature wants to pass to the other side of the wall, that would require a fortitude save.

That's not RAW by any means, as RAW looks to be rather silent on the matter, as the writers didn't care to make a mention on the matter, despite every other wall spell seemingly mentioning something on it.

jedipotter
2015-02-05, 10:43 PM

Thanks!

The default is one save a round for any effect, unless the description says otherwise. You will note a lot of spells say something like ''make a save and they can't be effect by this spell again for 24 hours''.

Crake
2015-02-06, 12:18 AM
The default is one save a round for any effect, unless the description says otherwise. You will note a lot of spells say something like ''make a save and they can't be effect by this spell again for 24 hours''.

I know of many monster abilities that say that, but I've never come across a spell that says that, care to share an example?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-02-06, 12:32 AM
"A creature can pass through a wall of smoke, but it must make a Fortitude save to avoid being nauseated for 1 round."

I take that to indicate that every time the creature wants to pass through the wall, it has to make a Fort save. It does not say that a creature only has to make the save the first time it passes through the wall. If the spell is cast at a diagonal and a creature stays in a 'passing through' state for multiple rounds, it may only need to make one save per pass through, regardless of how many rounds it takes. However, plenty of spells that create a lingering hazard require a save every round that a creature spends in it, for example Stinking Cloud, so it's ultimately up to your DM. Regardless, a creature should be forced to make the save each time it passes through the wall, rather than making the save once and being able to cross through it without consequence for the remainder of its duration.