PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Expanding the Noble Scion

LordErebus12
2015-02-05, 09:56 PM
How might someone convert the noble scion prestige class (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/n-r/noble-scion) into a base class?

(Un)Inspired
2015-02-05, 10:14 PM
Can you explain what it is that speaks to you about the prestige class ? What would you like retained for a base class?

It seems really really weak( other than free leadership).

I'd let someone play on as if it was a base class if they wanted, even letting them take the dilettante stuff without prerequisites if the really wanted.

LordErebus12
2015-02-05, 10:52 PM
Can you explain what it is that speaks to you about the prestige class ? What would you like retained for a base class?

It seems really really weak( other than free leadership).

I'd let someone play on as if it was a base class if they wanted, even letting them take the dilettante stuff without prerequisites if the really wanted.

Well, i was reading an article about building Tyrion Lannister from Game of Thrones. I started looking at the prestige class and realized that there is potential with a base class version of it.

I think a lot of very interesting concepts could be better done with a true class.

Skill based, with a huge variety of skill choices based on the class features that vary based on chosen background options.
Increased wealth to share with their allies.
access to a cohort that brings further assistance and expertise to the party.
Connections with groups that allow for increased item purchasing access and the ability to gather more information.
Unique education, with expert training from a young age with the best teachers.
higher access to magical equipment and maybe even artifacts.
Greater renown, with political and social influence.
Brings versatility to the group in unique ways, with decent skills and class features that make them useful without directly stepping on any other classes 'toes' too much.
Could have useful ways of contributing with a low magic game.

I could think of more, but I want to see what others think or suggest.

Almarck
2015-02-06, 01:53 AM
Not a GoT fan myself, but I am interested in the concept. I might be willing to think about developing a "Scion" class.

I can envision a modified caviler/rogue cross would work as a good base. Not thematically, but ability wise and to make the class more flexible.

A modified/streamlined version of leadership would be ideal.
I'm thinking that you either get one really big follower, or a small rabble of lots of little guys so weak that they have to be treated as a single massive mass. Regardless, they don't get a "class" the same way normal PCs play. They get heavily modified warrior/fighter. There probably should be an option to have non humanoid companions some how (but not a nonhumanoid militia.)

I do not like the idea of playing with wealth and money as that's something very campaign dependant. Perhaps "a disposable" which may be used to acquire things like transport, supplies, and consumables. Like money, but more limited on what it can be spent on.

I can also see perhaps a upgradable legacy weapon or armor being folded in as a class features. It satisfies the requirement of being an artifact and magic item that the character and only the character has access to, and is a very big boon in a low magic game.

Oh, and all knowledges, to represent higher education. Pretty standard.