PDA

View Full Version : Wizard/Factotum build

Mr.Kraken
2015-02-05, 10:22 PM
So, my friend's playing as a wizard//factotum gestalt and he hasn't made his mind yet as to how his build should be. His character fluff is that he is a gifted, notably intelligent, but carefree elf wizard apprentice who lived most of his life in a isolated mountain in the middle of the cold north, resulting in not having much social skills. Due to that, he will specialize in ice-based spells, and a class that he is set to take is Frost Mage, as soon as he can.

Other than that, he's still unsure. So far, some classes we've been discussing are Archmage, Incantatrix, Savant, Loremaster and Olin Gisir. And the Magister template is probably going to be his life-long goal and defining moment in his character's career.

Can the playground help us with his build? He has a high Intelligence, which plays to his gestalt abilities, and anything similar (for example, something that would replace his Strength bonus to attack rolls for Intelligence) would be appreciated.

Rebel7284
2015-02-05, 11:58 PM
Martial Wizard 5/Swiftblade 1/Spelldancer 1/Swiftblade +8/X 5
//
Factotum 5/Wizard 1/Factotum 3/Wizard 1/Y 2/Wizard 1/Y +7

This is the template I usually start with. Factotum 8 gives you extra actions and Int to everything. Swiftblade is amazing and also gives you extra actions when hasted. Spelldancer gives you some free metamagic.

Lots of options about what to finish with, as long as one side progresses casting.

- Arcane Archer 2 is amusing, if suboptimal, for shooting antimagic fields at people.
- Factotum to 11 allows you to always bypass SR.
- Swashbuckler 3 adds Int to damage.
- Warblade gives you a bunch of great maneuvers.
- Incantatix for metamagic effect is always good

You can also check out a X Stat to Y Bonus thread to see other ways to add Int to stuff. Faerie Mysteries initiate is a fun one. :)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-02-06, 12:41 AM
I'm going to agree that Swiftblade (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327) is a superb choice. This Wizard variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wizard) that he mentioned can get you the feat prerequisites for that. Consider getting Font of Inspiration (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070606) three or more times, particularly if you're able to take flaws (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm).

Frost Mage is really only good for four levels, and only because it gives you an improved version of Piercing Cold. I would recommend considering Paragnostic Apostle before Archmage, it's often more useful, available sooner, and has no feat prerequisites.

He can cast Thunderlance and even use Persistent Spell with it to use Int instead of Str for attack and damage rolls. If using Persistent Spell with that (preferably via Incantatrix or Spelldancer), he should also put (Lesser Rod of Extended) Greater Magic Weapon on it. Be sure to get Combat Reflexes, it's sure to be useful with the 20 ft. reach that gives him.

EugeneVoid
2015-02-06, 01:29 AM
I don't recommend Incantatrix, unless you are playing some ridiculous high-op, as it makes the game trivially easy to break (or more so for some of the Playground). Spelldancer is probably also a no-no, as its easy to become immune to the downsides of Spelldancing, unless you are willingly handicapping yourself, which then it becomes fine, but still a ridiculous source of free metamagic.

Going straight Factotum on one side of the gestalt is pretty fun, and still very strong.

Mindbender 1 + Mindsight is 100 feet vision, but often breaks dungeons, so I don't recommend it in practice.

Emissaries of Barachiel is awesome, as you become a Druid Wizard that can summon and become bears.
Check out the Tier List for Prestige Classes. (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1573.0)All of the ones +1 or +2 are cool, though +2 ones can become ridiculously broken. See: Planar Shepherd, Incantatrix.

Mr.Kraken
2015-02-06, 03:39 AM
His character is highly educated, and theorical knowledge is his thing, hence why we've considered Loremaster and Olin Gisir. He's maxing knowledge and has Knowledge Devotion and Collector of Stories. Are there any interesting PrCs based on knowledge?

Mr.Kraken
2015-02-06, 07:47 AM
Oh, also a class that could boost his cold spells even more would be good as well.

Andion Isurand
2015-02-06, 09:56 AM
If not already decided, I would recommend making him a Sun Elf (-2 Con, +2 Int), given that they have an Int bonus, live longer than typical elves and are typically more reserved and aloof.

I would also give this character the Arctic template from Dragon 306... which among other things, gives a creature (+2 Con, -2 Cha) and a +2 racial bonus on Survival checks. This could represent self reliance and a lack of social graces.

For your 1st-level only feat, I would look at taking Keen Intellect (Dragon 318) which allows you to use Intelligence instead of Wisdom for Will saves as well as Heal, Sense Motive, Spot and Survival checks.

If you you go with both Factotum and Swiftblade... and want to add your Intelligence modifier to your Initiative for a third time, check out the "Way of the Scorpion" feat (Oriental Adventures - Rokugan Campaign Setting 57).

I would also look at taking the 3rd-level Elven Wizard Subtituion level (Races of the Wild 157)... if you want to double the bonus your familiar gives you when nearby... remembering that Hummingbird familiar (Dragon 323) normally provides a +4 bonus to initiative.

If you decide you want a Hummingbird or some other kind of bird as a familiar, I would then point you to an old thread I started (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?159125-What-is-the-Average-Airspeed-Velocity-of-an-Unladen-Swallow).

Mr.Kraken
2015-02-06, 11:07 AM
He chose Gray Elf, which also provides an Int bonus. He also chose an Elven Wizard substitution level, don't recall which one. He chose a snow owl as a familiar. I don't think Oriental Adventures will be allowed in your campaign, but we'll see.

He's really been looking forward to obtaining the Magister template. We've been having this discussion back and forth if the Magister template would be game breaking. We both agree that it's pretty much OP, but what do you guys think? Also, is there something he can do right away to play to the template's strengths? :smallbiggrin:

Rebel7284
2015-02-06, 11:30 AM
He chose Gray Elf, which also provides an Int bonus. He also chose an Elven Wizard substitution level, don't recall which one. He chose a snow owl as a familiar. I don't think Oriental Adventures will be allowed in your campaign, but we'll see.

He's really been looking forward to obtaining the Magister template. We've been having this discussion back and forth if the Magister template would be game breaking. We both agree that it's pretty much OP, but what do you guys think? Also, is there something he can do right away to play to the template's strengths? :smallbiggrin:

The template doesn't seem to have a LA, so it's not suitable for player characters.

Mr.Kraken
2015-02-06, 12:00 PM
The template doesn't seem to have a LA, so it's not suitable for player characters.

As RAW, true. But reading its description, there's absolutely nothing that impedes a player character on acquiring such a template, except being the chosen one for it. Why shouldn't a PC be considered among the possible choices? The case is, let's say he acquires the template as a campaign reward around level 20. Would that make him too OP for the rest of the world?