PDA

View Full Version : Stymphalian Bird [Creature, MitP]

PhantomBread
2007-04-05, 12:16 PM
Stymphalian Bird
Small Magical Beast
HD 3d10+6 HD (21 hp)
Speed 10 ft. (2 squares); fly 80 ft. (average)
Init: +4
AC 18 (+1 size, +4 Dex, +3 natural); touch 15; flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple +3/+1
Attack Talon +7 melee (1d4+2) or razor feathers +7 ranged (1d3)
Full-Attack 2 talons +7 melee (1d4+2) and bite +2 (1d4+1) or 2 razor feathers +7 ranged (1d3)
Space/Reach 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks Razor feathers
Special Qualities Darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision
Saves Fort +5 Ref +7 Will +3
Abilities Str 14, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 6, Wis 16, Cha 4
Skills Listen +7, Spot +13
Feats Weapon Finesse, Hover*, Flyby Attack*
Environment Temperate forests
Organization Solitary, pair, or flock (4-12)
Challenge Rating 3
Treasure None
Alignment Usually neutral evil
Advancement 4-5 (Small);
Level Adjustment --

You see a grey bird, similar to an eagle or a hawk. Hovering in place amongst the trees, it's claws glint with unnatural sharpness, and feathers look sharp enough to rend through flesh.

Stymphalian Birds are magical flying creatures known for the fierce tempers and razor-sharp feathers. Although their origin is not known, stories abound of their ability to ravage small hamlets and harass travelers from afar, and their approach is rarely seen. In fact, they themselves are rarely seen at all due to habit of remaining out of sight in trees, hovering and letting off hailstorms of slicing feathers to weaken down whatever prey they have set their eyes on.

Combat
Stymphalian Birds perfer to use the cover of trees to reign razor-sharp feathers down at their opponents whenever possible, often choosing to flee rather then persue if an opponent is able to evade their attacks. They will only move in to finish off their opponents after they have weakened them with their ranged attacks.

Razor feathers (Ex): The range increment is 60 ft. for a stymphalian birds razor feathers. They deal slashing damage, and have a critical range of 18-20/x2.

Skills
Stymphalian Birds have a +8 racial bonus on Spot checks.

Icewalker
2007-04-05, 02:07 PM
Cool. Sounds good. The talon damage seems a bit high for a small creature.

Other than that, sounds like it works, although might be a bit of a challenge for most third level parties what with the flying and shooting down strategy.

PhantomBread
2007-04-05, 02:45 PM
Talon damage is based upon the eagle damage, actually. And yes, while challenging, that was the point. Tried to be decently true to the mythology of it all as I made it, and I see it being decent for a random encounter while on a road or with a caravan, or the like.

Icewalker
2007-04-05, 03:06 PM
I though eagle damage was like 1d4-2. That could be hawk though. I could be wrong, I don't actually have an MM.

PhantomBread
2007-04-05, 03:39 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/eagle.htm

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-05, 04:13 PM
The skills are off. This beastie may only be getting 1 skill point per HD, but that's still 6 skill points in all, 5 of which are unaccounted for. Furthermore, the Spot modifier is off. With a +3 Wisdom and a +8 racial mod, it should be at least +11 - and that's without any ranks in it at all.

PhantomBread
2007-04-05, 05:27 PM
1 per HD, x4 at the first HD if I remember correctly.

Edit: Yep
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#magicalBeastType

I simply forgot to add in Wis mod, xD

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-05, 05:34 PM
Well, Magical Beasts get 2 + Int mod per HD, x4 at 1st HD, with a minimum of 1 skill point per HD. With the penalty from it's Int, that puts it at the minimum. So that's 4 points for the 1st HD, +1 for the 2nd, and +1 again for the 3rd. 4+1+1=6. As far as I can tell, you've only spent 1 skill point out of those 6.

edit: Oh, so that's what it was.

Danu
2007-04-25, 09:29 PM
It's HP should be 22, actually. ^_^ 5.5 x3 +6.

And I'm wondering if one of those three feats is a bonus feat. With 3 HD it only qualifies for two feats.

Finally, to account for the creature's proclivity towards hiding, you might want to give a racial bonus on Hide checks. Nothing major... it already has a +6 from it's size and Dex. So, a +4 racial bonus on Hide checks would be pretty decent.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-05-11, 02:49 PM
Bump. Keep voting, people!

Zherog
2007-05-16, 04:04 PM
Comments and general feedback; I haven't read the comments of others, so as to avoid being influenced by their opinions. My apologies if I duplicate what they've said.

HD 3d10+6 HD (21 hp)

This should be 22 hp. 5.5 X 3 = 16.5. 16.5 + 6 = 22.5.

Attack Talon +7 melee (1d4+2) or razor feathers +7 ranged (1d3)

It's certainly reasonable to treat the razor feathers as a thrown weapon, which would allow you to add Strength to the damage.

Saves Fort +5 Ref +7 Will +3

I get +4 for the Will save. A 3 HD magical beast has a base Will save of +1, and these little guys have a +3 Wisdom mod.

Abilities Str 14, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 6, Wis 16, Cha 4

I'd consider dropping the Strength a little. 14 seems a bit high for a Small sized bird that relies upon finesse.

Skills Listen +7, Spot +13

You might want to list Hide, because they have a size bonus to the skill. It makes it easier for the GM if they don't have to calculate it on the fly.

Feats Weapon Finesse, Hover*, Flyby Attack*

What's the asterisks for, bonus feats? If so, those should be marked with a superscript "B" after the feat name.

And, if those are bonus feats, you need one more feat.

You see a grey bird, similar to an eagle or a hawk. Hovering in place amongst the trees, it's claws glint with unnatural sharpness, and feathers look sharp enough to rend through flesh.

Very good descriptive flavor text.

Stymphalian Birds are magical flying creatures known for the fierce tempers and razor-sharp feathers.

I think the underlined word is supposed to be "their."

Combat
Stymphalian Birds perfer to use the cover of trees to reign razor-sharp feathers down at their opponents whenever possible, often choosing to flee rather then persue if an opponent is able to evade their attacks

You want "rain" not "reign."

Razor feathers (Ex): The range increment is 60 ft. for a stymphalian birds razor feathers. They deal slashing damage, and have a critical range of 18-20/x2.

The word "bird's" needs an apostrophe - it's a possessive word.

The increased crit range should be noted up on the attack and full attack lines as well as here. Basically, any time an attack has a crit entry other than 20/x2 it gets mentioned on the attack; this is to help the GM out during combat - you don't want him/her to have to remember it, or go hunting for it.

Skills
Stymphalian Birds have a +8 racial bonus on Spot checks.

A racial bonus on Hide checks might also make sense, since they prefer to remain in the folliage while attacking.

Nice little critter.

DracoDei
2007-05-19, 12:35 AM
As a reference to well known classical literature this deserves to make the cut. Thus it gets my vote.