PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Coming up with artifacts(semi Eberron related, and 3.p)

Togath
2015-02-06, 01:56 AM
So after three of my party embers met with The Traveler(an Eberron deity of trickery, chaos, travel, and, oddly, invention), and another stole an artifact of a legendary thief...
The system is a mix of 3.5 and pathfinder, and we use the pathfinder skill system, as well as most rulebooks(including 3rd party ones by dreamscarred press). Firearms are allowed, and gunpowder does exist, and systems such as ToB and psionics are allowed.

I now need to come up with stats :P
While one of the Traveler's gifts was relatively easy(the ability to turn into a human, halfling, or mongrelfolk at will for the dragon character), I'm a bit stuck on the last two;

(for the mystic devoted to the Traveler): A gold coin bearing his symbol, it currently acts as a holy symbol and when flipped always land son the side it didn't start on. I feel like I should add more.

(for the swifthunter[3.5]/stalker[pf, from path of war] catfolk): a worn bracelet of braided leather strips. I haven't come up with anything yet.

In addition, one of the players(the catfolk mentioned above) also looted a relic of a legendary thief, boots made of red silk and leather. They negate fall damage(as well as the impact from falling), but I don't have any specific stats beyond that.
I was thinking of having them quiet footfalls, and maybe make them less likely to activate pressure plates.

Almarck
2015-02-06, 02:03 AM
The boots shouldn't activate tremorsense, has a 50% chance to ignore traps triggered by stepping (wires, plates, bear traps), and maybe has spiderclimb or waterwalking built right in?

The coin should every now and again be used to foretell an omen. Weal or Woe style. When you ask a simple question while its in the air, it gives an answer 100% of the time over the question based on what side it lands on instead of the usual effects. Heads its bad, tails its good. If the coin lands on its side, it's unknown.

Alternatively, it may be used to give the character an idea "Penny for your thoughts?". You give someone else the coin and it has an effect. The coin returns back to you when used in this manner.

Also, I am jealous of that setting you run. Sounds awesome. You running the Rite Publishing book, since you have a dragon in the party?

Xerlith
2015-02-06, 04:50 AM
(for the mystic devoted to the Traveler): A gold coin bearing his symbol, it currently acts as a holy symbol and when flipped always land son the side it didn't start on. I feel like I should add more.

That's actually... Very orderly. I mean, if it ALWAYS lands on that side. I think that the Traveller's gift would be something more like "it lands on the edge sometimes, sometimes not, and when it does, it creates a small animal of random type depending on what decimal digit of Pi you rolled on a 3d100." And that's if he/she/it actually was in a good (and non-threatening) mood.

The thing is, all the Travelers gifts are mean to either educate or prank you. He's (let's say it's a he) something between Prometheus and Loki so the gift, while helpful, it should be helpful in a way that the player character doesn't expect.

Belial_the_Leveler
2015-02-06, 04:54 AM
Don't you mean 1d∞ for the Pi digit?

Togath
2015-02-07, 07:25 PM
Here's what I have so far;
Thieving Boots(not a Traveler gift)
Immunity to fall damage, and your impact on things you fall on is greatly reduced.
5+ hd: you count as half your weight when determining what can support your weight, carry you, and if a pressure plate with activate. you also apply your wisdom modifier as a dodge bonus to ac against ranged attacks and to reflex saves.
10+ hd: you can now walk and things such as thin ropes or tree branches with ease. balance checks to move across thin surfaces are halved, and you are treated as only a tenth of your weight for pressure plates and what can support your weight. Your footsteps also create no noise just from walking.
15+ hd:
20+ hd:

Traveler's Bracelet
1/encounter as a swift action, you can turn invisible or become hasted until the start of your next turn
8+ hd: this now works 2/encounter, and you can instead turn ethereal if you wish
16+ hd: this now works 3/encounter, and you can instead turn ethereal or gain a fly speed if you wish.

[the coin]
Acts as holy symbol of the Traveler.

[the enchantment]
Can allows the user to shapeshift into a human or mongrelfolk(maybe more?).
Possible malfunction chance for humans.

I want to keep them at least decently useful, especially the coin, since it's recipient is one of the weakest members of the party. The random summoning, while funny, seems like it could get annoying rather than useful.
(the Traveler also ended up mostly a wise wanderer sort in this appearance, with a minor touch of Sheogorath, and the party members are going against a cause which seems fairly opposed to the Traveler[the current main villains are trying to complete a plan that may very well plunge the material plane into an eternal time loop, or just freeze it, both of which seemed like something a deity of chaos would oppose])