PDA

View Full Version : Valor bard + assassin rogue skill monkey build

Spacehamster
2015-02-06, 11:41 AM
A new player in my group is pondering mixing valor bard and assassin rogue to excel at skill monkeyness and be decently good in combat. Would 6 assassin 14 valor bard be best since that gives maximum expertise 2 attacks and lvl 7 spells, seems legit to me, starting bard going straight for lvl 6 to get two attacks, then go for unlocking assassin?

Spacehamster
2015-02-06, 01:17 PM
Guess I could also suggest to him to drop 1 lvl bard and take one level of fighter for archery fighting style since that would not make him loose any spell level or feat?

Easy_Lee
2015-02-06, 01:37 PM
Honestly, I think a pure rogue thief or tome warlock 3 / lore bard X would make for the best skill monkey without having to give up combat ability.

Thief rogue can use fast hands for just about anything, including a lot of skills. You could pick a lock, pick a pocket, use a healers kit, dash up a rope (using dash to offset the penalty to movement speed for climbing), drop caltrops or oil, hide somewhere, and all kinds of other things as a bonus action. Plus you get reliable talent, meaning that the skills you focus in will almost never fail. Notably, this being a pure rogue, there is never a slow level and you get bonus feats to play with.

If you just want the maximum number of skills and utility, the warlock 3 / lore bard X gets access to all ritual casting, full CHA damage progression on Eldritch blast, Jack of all trades, and several expertise skills. It's probably the best utility character one can make.

Spacehamster
2015-02-06, 01:52 PM
Honestly, I think a pure rogue thief or tome warlock 3 / lore bard X would make for the best skill monkey without having to give up combat ability.

Thief rogue can use fast hands for just about anything, including a lot of skills. You could pick a lock, pick a pocket, use a healers kit, dash up a rope (using dash to offset the penalty to movement speed for climbing), drop caltrops or oil, hide somewhere, and all kinds of other things as a bonus action. Plus you get reliable talent, meaning that the skills you focus in will almost never fail. Notably, this being a pure rogue, there is never a slow level and you get bonus feats to play with.

If you just want the maximum number of skills and utility, the warlock 3 / lore bard X gets access to all ritual casting, full CHA damage progression on Eldritch blast, Jack of all trades, and several expertise skills. It's probably the best utility character one can make.

Interesting points but agree to disagree about reliable talent, always found that skill a bit overrated. :)