PDA

View Full Version : How to make Cole from Dragon Age Inquisition

Reprimand
2015-02-06, 04:44 PM
So I have a player that just got recruited Cole in dragon age inquisition and is super hyped up and wants to change his character to Cole in our D&D game.

Thing is Cole is basically an outsider that can teleport at will and read peoples minds WITHOUT being any sort of caster. Cole in the game is a rogue with the assassin specialization.

Main abilities:

Can make people forget he exists and not be seen at will. Sort of obfuscation.

Can demension hop(door?).

rogue and/or assassin

Can tap into others thoughts occasionally when they are hurt or sad (he is a spirit of compassion) and tries to help them. (possible forced code of conduct?)

Does anyone know a creature or template that can do this? or if I were to create a template what some of this abilities would be priced at in terms of LA or even a class combination?

EDIT: now have a build but need feat and power suggestions

LoyalPaladin
2015-02-06, 04:48 PM
This could be really hard... I mean... you could try a mix between Beguiler/Mindbender/Rogue?

Forrestfire
2015-02-06, 04:51 PM
Without casting, I'd model it with a Changeling Cabinet Trickster/Mindspy, with use-activated items of dimension hop and (greater) invisibility.

Hiro Quester
2015-02-06, 04:54 PM
I don't know much about psionics, but I do know that psychoportation and telepathy are psionic disciplines.

So perhaps a soulknife could be part of the build?

Edit: psychic warrior would probably be better.

Reprimand
2015-02-06, 04:56 PM
Well lets just say it's a race Cole gets all those powers by virtue of being a spirit what would you say the LA on that is? He can just take rogue levels after.

T.G. Oskar
2015-02-06, 05:03 PM
So I have a player that just got recruited Cole in dragon age inquisition and is super hyped up and wants to change his character to Cole in our D&D game.

Thing is Cole is basically an outsider that can teleport at will and read peoples minds WITHOUT being any sort of caster. Cole in the game is a rogue with the assassin specialization.

Main abilities:

rogue and/or assassin

Can tap into others thoughts occasionally when they are hurt or sad (he is a spirit of compassion) and tries to help them. (possible forced code of conduct?)

Does anyone know a creature or template that can do this? or if I were to create a template what some of this abilities would be priced at in terms of LA or even a class combination?

The ability of Obfuscation is mostly Cloud Mind. I believe Shadowmind works with that.

I'd say, just for fluff, Psychic Rogue/Avenging Executioner, since the concept of Cole fits perfectly with the PrC, while the latter has nearly all the powers required for it to work. If necessary, plug Shadowmind levels wherever applicable. Probably tap into the Ghostwalk rules to play as a ghost (with the Manifestation ability) and go from it.

So...Human Ghost Psychic Rogue X/Avenging Executioner Y/Shadowmind Z?

Reprimand
2015-02-06, 05:05 PM
The ability of Obfuscation is mostly Cloud Mind. I believe Shadowmind works with that.

I'd say, just for fluff, Psychic Rogue/Avenging Executioner, since the concept of Cole fits perfectly with the PrC, while the latter has nearly all the powers required for it to work. If necessary, plug Shadowmind levels wherever applicable. Probably tap into the Ghostwalk rules to play as a ghost (with the Manifestation ability) and go from it.

So...Human Ghost Psychic Rogue X/Avenging Executioner Y/Shadowmind Z?

huh that was pretty fast... What books are all of those from though I've heard of psychic rogue but can't remember.

If I wanted to roll all of those abilities up into a race/template what would that LA be?

T.G. Oskar
2015-02-06, 05:10 PM
huh that was pretty fast... What books are all of those from though I've heard of psychic rogue but can't remember.

Psychic Rogue is from the Mind's Eye supplements in the 3.5 Archives at the Wizards' site. Avenging Executioner is on the Complete Scoundrel book, while Shadowmind is on Complete Adventurer. At most, all you'll need is potentially Expanded Knowledge (XPH) to net the teleportation powers. And, of course, the Ghost template is on the Monster Manual (hence, the SRD), but expanded rules to play a ghost as a PC are on the Ghostwalk supplement, which is sorta like Oriental Adventures in that it's part campaign setting, part supplement (you can play on the setting provided by the book, but most of the information is honestly setting-independent). Also 3.0, so check up what crossed over (spells are a big one, feats not so much).

Reprimand
2015-02-06, 05:15 PM
What are the major capstones of each class or what would that look like in terms of levels without the ghost LA?

Karl Aegis
2015-02-06, 05:18 PM
You might want to look into Lurk and Ebon Saint classes, both from Complete Psionic. Finish it up with Elocater levels for teleportation shenanigans or psion for Expanded Knowledge as a bonus feat.

Hiro Quester
2015-02-06, 05:24 PM
:

Concealing Amorpha, Greater (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/concealingAmorphaGreater.htm)

Also for a psion, psionic modify memory and false sensory input are telepathy discipline powers.

:

Dimension Slide (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/dimensionSlide.htm)

:

For a psion, Mind link, mind probe, are telepathy discipline powers.

Edit: ninjad. To the extent that psychic rogue does look perfect.

Reprimand
2015-02-06, 05:44 PM
For the ghostwalk book what would I actually want to be looking at in terms of rules?

and what would the standard level build look like for this psychic rogue so I can have a sense what to expect.

Belial_the_Leveler
2015-02-07, 12:11 AM
Sans psionics, just make him an Incubus (use succubus base stats, but male) with the Shadow Creature template.

Total concealment except in broad daylight? Check.
Stealth/Perception bonuses? Check.
Mind reading? Check.
Mind control stuff? Check.
Teleportation? Check.
Is actually a physical manifestation of belief? Check.

Forrestfire
2015-02-07, 12:27 AM
For the ghostwalk book what would I actually want to be looking at in terms of rules?

and what would the standard level build look like for this psychic rogue so I can have a sense what to expect.

Ghostwalk has some rules that are... Well, I guess one word to describe them would be "awkward." Another would be "horrendous." Specifically, the Ghost Class progression rules, the Calling, and the like.

Overall, what I would take from Ghostwalk is the +0 LA outsider-type Ghost template, and the ghostly feats. Skip out on the progression rules and limitations. The main issue at that point becomes incorporeality, which I personally suggest handling by making it scale. I'm currently in a game playing a Savage Progression ghost, and my DM and I are having the incorporeality miss chance scale at 10% per level, halved by magic, and outright ignored by ghost touch. With this, full incorporeality comes online at level 10, around the time spells and abilities are on its level for sequence breaking buildings and defensive miss chances. For other ghost abilities, I'd allow the player to freely take [Ghost] feats, but otherwise I'd avoid Eidolon and Eidoloncer as classes.

The Ghostwalk Ghost also gets No Discernable Anatomy, which I'd start out as 25% fortification like a warforged, and scale it up to full around level 10 as well. Seems about right for balance, at least.

Reprimand
2015-02-07, 12:28 AM
Sans psionics, just make him an Incubus (use succubus base stats, but male) with the Shadow Creature template.

Total concealment except in broad daylight? Check.
Stealth/Perception bonuses? Check.
Mind reading? Check.
Mind control stuff? Check.
Teleportation? Check.
Is actually a physical manifestation of belief? Check.

Ah but Cole is a good aligned spirit of compassion not a demon.

Plus the player already tends toward roguish stuff anyway it's half the reason he likes Cole.

Forrestfire
2015-02-07, 12:32 AM
So, if the player feels like he wants to use that progression, take the subtypes on the creature and flip them to [Chaotic, Good]. Remove Summon Tanar'ri and replace with something based on helping others, and otherwise keep it roughly the same, probably?

Reprimand
2015-02-07, 12:35 AM
Would it be less rules awkward to scrap the ghost template and just say he's a human but throw in things that only he can hear relating to an npcs hurting (as a spirit of compassion it gives him insight into this) and have him build normal otherwise and just give him some plot hooks like that?

Like a limited mind probe that happens at my digression.

Forrestfire
2015-02-07, 12:40 AM
Depends on what powers the player wants. If he wants someone who has on-demand mind-reading, then finding a way of getting that might be a decent bet. If the player wants to play a rogue with teleports and minor compassion/telepathy abilities, it might just be a good idea to point at Swordsage, and give the player Plot Hook abilities and maybe short-ranged telepathy (overall, the ability isn't worth a huge amount unless you're taking Mindsight or in a situation where everyone needs to be really quiet). Or give them an item with equivalent WBL value to what they might have that gives the magical abilities they want, and set them up with a rogue or factotum/swordsage for sneaky rogue stuff and teleportation abilities.

Reprimand
2015-02-07, 12:45 AM
He seemed pretty set on rogueish stuff so swordsage isn't much of an option at our table plus that flavor doesn't work for the character. So I think I'm just gonna houserule the detect 'hurt' stuff and go with the psirogue build that was suggested.

Thank you everyone for your help!

Reprimand
2015-02-07, 02:21 PM
So using the build Human Ghost (Ghostwalk rules) Psychic Rogue 5/Avenging Executioner 1/Shadowmind 10/Psychic Rogue 4

Can anyone suggest powers or Feats?

My player wants to use the TWF tree so he has 5 feats remaining to use. I'm using factional BAB so he can qualify for GTWF at 15th

And does anyone know the ghost feat that lets you manifest fully? I can't find it anywhere in the ghostwalk book or otherwise.

Not keen on flaws but any ideas for ones that stay in character are great.

1-TWF
H-?
3-?
6-?
9-ITWF
12-?
15-GTWF
18-?

Any suggested powers he can get with expanded knowledge would be great too!

Forrestfire
2015-02-07, 03:52 PM
As far as I remember, there isn't one for full corporeality, but there's something better. The Ghostly Grasp feat (Libris Mortis) lets an incorporeal creature selectively use objects as if they were corporeal, getting rid of the need for ghost touch weapons and letting the character interact nicely with the rest of the world.

Another fun thing is that, as an incorporeal creature, the ghost uses his Dex instead of Str for melee, freeing up feats and weapon choices some.

Reprimand
2015-02-07, 04:50 PM
As far as I remember, there isn't one for full corporeality, but there's something better. The Ghostly Grasp feat (Libris Mortis) lets an incorporeal creature selectively use objects as if they were corporeal, getting rid of the need for ghost touch weapons and letting the character interact nicely with the rest of the world.

Another fun thing is that, as an incorporeal creature, the ghost uses his Dex instead of Str for melee, freeing up wests and weapon choices some.

Wow I really hope that's true.

does that include damage roles or just to hit?

Forrestfire
2015-02-07, 09:40 PM
It has no Strength score, so its Dexterity modifier applies to both its melee attacks and its ranged attacks

It could reasonably be read as either of [applying to attacks in general] or [applying to attack rolls]. I lean towards the former when DMing, myself.

thethird
2015-02-08, 03:37 AM
Cole is an unbodied (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/unbodied.htm) Shadowmind (Complete Warrior).