PDA

View Full Version : "Choke on this!" "...How?"

ExHunterEmerald
2007-04-05, 01:33 PM
Alrighty...
I've made myself a shady-type pseudo-assassin, and I got him a garrote, using the stats from Arms and Armor Revised.

...and it's absolutely useless.
The damage aside, the real benefit of a garrote is to suffocate someone. But even with a constitution of 10, you don't even need to start making checks to avoid unconsciousness for twenty rounds.
The weapon stats themselves just say that anyone you hit with the garrote counts as suffocating, but that's all. Nothing about holding onto the wire. Nothing about grapple checks to hold on, or inability to take actions, or anything at all.

Are there any stats anywhere for suffocating someone with a garrote?

Tweekinator
2007-04-05, 01:38 PM
I think the 3.0 book Song and Silence might have something like that.

Mr Croup
2007-04-05, 01:41 PM
Yeah, Song and Silence has some info on garrotes. You may want to take a look at this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39525) post about garrotes, as well.

Diggorian
2007-04-05, 01:42 PM
I could write some unofficial ones now, but isnt this for the house rules fourm, properly?

Starbuck_II
Alrighty...
I've made myself a shady-type pseudo-assassin, and I got him a garrote, using the stats from Arms and Armor Revised.

...and it's absolutely useless.
The damage aside, the real benefit of a garrote is to suffocate someone. But even with a constitution of 10, you don't even need to start making checks to avoid unconsciousness for twenty rounds.
The weapon stats themselves just say that anyone you hit with the garrote counts as suffocating, but that's all. Nothing about holding onto the wire. Nothing about grapple checks to hold on, or inability to take actions, or anything at all.

Are there any stats anywhere for suffocating someone with a garrote?
Did you try Song anf silence: where Garrote attacks riginated.
Page 86, chapter 5.
Garrotes deal 1d6/8 (some deal d6, others d8) if succeeded on grapple check.

So do those garrotes deal suffocating(drowning?) condition instead?

Kultrum
I think the 3.0 book Song and Silence might have something like that.

Ya it has a whole section on it

ExHunterEmerald
2007-04-05, 01:45 PM
So do those garrotes deal suffocating(drowning?) condition instead?

Yeah--1d2 base damage, can't even have a critical hit, but the target starts suffocating. I kind of like it that way.

I'll have to check Song and Silence. Someone at my gaming table has it, so I might be able to see it tomorrow.

Tiberian
2007-04-05, 01:50 PM
I would say that the garotte does not deal with suffocating rules because the suffocating rules assume that the character could take a huge gulp of air before needing to go time without breathing (i.e. getting thrown into water or such), while the garotte would utilize surprise. Therefore, the garotte would instantly begin suffocating damage or whatever is prescribed in Song & Silence.

Akennedy
2007-04-05, 02:01 PM
Now, I'm not 100% sure on how garrotes work, if they close off the juggular (thus no oxygen to brain) to the brain or if they make it so you can't breathe. But, the brain can only go about 4-6 seconds without oxygen. (I'm in judo and we do chokes there and they cut off oxygen to your brain which results in unconscienceness). But if it just causes suffication, I would, instead of doing damage, have the damage it does also deal an equal amount to how many rounds of air they have left.

Person_Man
2007-04-05, 02:13 PM
Now, I'm not 100% sure on how garrotes work, if they close off the juggular (thus no oxygen to brain) to the brain or if they make it so you can't breathe. But, the brain can only go about 4-6 seconds without oxygen. (I'm in judo and we do chokes there and they cut off oxygen to your brain which results in unconscienceness). But if it just causes suffication, I would, instead of doing damage, have the damage it does also deal an equal amount to how many rounds of air they have left.

It depends on the garrote. Some can quite easily cut your throat so that you bleed to death long before you suffocate. Others are designed specifically to break your neck. They even have varities with little spikes at the tip of the handles which poke through the victims spinal chord. The main advantage of a garrote is that it keeps your victim silent while you kill them. Keeping them from breathing is just the method by which that is accomplished.

Aramil Liadon
2007-04-05, 09:28 PM
Huzzah for Judokas! I second the post on an unexpected attack means you have to make check right away. Anyways, the garrote is more of an assassin's tool than a combat weapon. I mean, it's hard to choke someone wearing full plate, isn't it? I like to smear them with contact poison, it work for me. Makes thing a bit fast, and can still kill them if they manage to escape. Have you noticed that scissors can safe your @$$ when dealing with a garrote?

ExHunterEmerald
2007-04-05, 09:38 PM
Huzzah for Judokas! I second the post on an unexpected attack means you have to make check right away. Anyways, the garrote is more of an assassin's tool than a combat weapon. I mean, it's hard to choke someone wearing full plate, isn't it? I like to smear them with contact poison, it work for me. Makes thing a bit fast, and can still kill them if they manage to escape. Have you noticed that scissors can safe your @$$ when dealing with a garrote?

Yeah, I'd never use it in a real combat (that's what the assortment of concealed and mundane daggers and shortswords are for), but it's still hard to find use for an assassin's tool where failure is all but guaranteed.