PDA

View Full Version : How does commanding creatures (f.e. undead) work?

Miranius
2015-02-06, 05:56 PM
My character, through the earth domain, has the ability to command creatues of the air subtype just like an evil cleric would undead.
Since iīve never played such a character, i donīt quite get how the Max HD are calculated that my character (lvl 6, charisma 18) can command, how many HD per creature....

How does that work and which creature would you recommend i should try to get?

Thanks for your help :)

JDL
2015-02-06, 06:09 PM
Step 1: Find an air creature.

Step 2: Roll your Turn Check. This is 1d20+Cha mod. This shows the most powerful creature you can affect.

Step 3: Roll your Turn Damage. This is 2d6+Cleric Level+Cha mod. This shows how many total hit dice of creatures you can affect.

In order to command the creature instead of simply rebuking them, you must succeed on the above checks to affect the creature, and the creature's hit dice must be no more than half your Cleric level.

If you're a level 6 Cleric, this means you can command an air creature up to 3 HD strength. Valid options from the SRD are the Small Air Elemental, Juvenile Arrowhawk, Air Mephit, Dust Mephit and Ice Mephit.

You can command up to your Cleric Level in HD total, so you could have three Small Air Elementals or two of any of the other creatures in any combination as permanently controlled creatures that respond to your mental commands.

afroakuma
2015-02-06, 09:05 PM
My character, through the earth domain, has the ability to command creatues of the air subtype just like an evil cleric would undead

Correction: you can turn and destroy air subtype creatures; you rebuke and command earth subtype creatures:

Turn or destroy air creatures as a good cleric turns undead. Rebuke, command, or bolster earth creatures as an evil cleric rebukes undead. Use these abilities a total number of times per day equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier. This granted power is a supernatural ability.

Unless you're using some houserule or obscure variant, anyway.

Vinyl Scratch
2015-02-06, 09:59 PM
Yeah, by the book you can command earth critters.

You probably need to know terran to be able to tell them to do stuff though. It doesn't help too much that earth elementals are really dumb.

Earth critters are pretty awesome though. I mean, most dungeons are underground, right? Thoqquas especially, they can burn holes through the stone, that you can craw through once they cool.