PDA

View Full Version : Binder Help

Nosta
2015-02-06, 07:06 PM
so I just found the binder class and was wondering what would be good to gestalt it with. any ideas?

Blackhawk748
2015-02-06, 07:09 PM
so I just found the binder class and was wondering what would be good to gestalt it with. any ideas?

Honestly? Anything. No seriously, Binders are AMAZING jack of all trades. So pick a role and the Binder can probably support it.

Edit: im aware this isnt particularly helpful but i need a role to give advice.

Nosta
2015-02-06, 07:15 PM
Honestly? Anything. No seriously, Binders are AMAZING jack of all trades. So pick a role and the Binder can probably support it.

Edit: im aware this isnt particularly helpful but i need a role to give advice.

well I'm thinking Like a power mage build with high Intellect who is able to fight well on his own but is also able to support his allies when needed

Troacctid
2015-02-06, 07:15 PM
Binder has a lot of flexible passive abilities that can complement just about any class. The chassis is also solid all-around without any glaring weaknesses--average hit die, average BAB, average skills, and two good saves. Furthermore, while you'd prefer not to dump Charisma, you're not really dependent on any particular ability score.

So you can pretty much gestalt it with whatever you want and it'll be good.

Almarck
2015-02-06, 07:22 PM
You could quite literally do any sort of build combo with Binder. In general though, you'll be heavily incentivized to rely on passive abilities over active ones.

Thrice Dead Cat
2015-02-06, 08:02 PM
You could quite literally do any sort of build combo with Binder. In general though, you'll be heavily incentivized to rely on passive abilities over active ones.

To expand upon this, it's common advice to have half of your gestalt be "active" with abilities to use in combat like spells or attacks with the other giving always-on abilities. Most vestiges provide the latter.

You mentioned playing a mage, so if you're DM allows it, Anima Mage is solid. While taking levels in it you're other side could be something like crusader or warblade. Once finished, you could go back taking wizard and binder concurrently.

Nosta
2015-02-06, 09:10 PM
Binder has a lot of flexible passive abilities that can complement just about any class. The chassis is also solid all-around without any glaring weaknesses--average hit die, average BAB, average skills, and two good saves. Furthermore, while you'd prefer not to dump Charisma, you're not really dependent on any particular ability score.

So you can pretty much gestalt it with whatever you want and it'll be good.

Are we allowed to post links to tinypic? I have a pic that shows what my pc looks like.

I'd like help deciding what race and other class to go with binder

Thrice Dead Cat
2015-02-06, 09:20 PM
Are we allowed to post links to tinypic? I have a pic that shows what my pc looks like.

I'd like help deciding what race and other class to go with binder

I can't comment on the link, but the forum rules are available at the top of the page before the rest of the threads.

As for race, human, strongheart halfling, or anything else without LA that doesn't penalize Con or other stats you want are about the best "generic" answers I can give.

Nosta
2015-02-06, 09:24 PM
I can't comment on the link, but the forum rules are available at the top of the page before the rest of the threads.

As for race, human, strongheart halfling, or anything else without LA that doesn't penalize Con or other stats you want are about the best "generic" answers I can give.

well i guess it dose not have to be a mage can you give me a list tier 3 or higher classes that rely on charisma

Troacctid
2015-02-06, 10:06 PM
If you want to play a charismatic character: Sorcerer, Bard, Sha'ir, Spirit Shaman, Urban Druid, Favored Soul, Warlock, Dragonfire Adept, Wilder, and Dread Necromancer are all T3 or higher and benefit from high Charisma.

Hazrond
2015-02-07, 12:40 AM
If you want to play a charismatic character: Sorcerer, Bard, Sha'ir, Spirit Shaman, Urban Druid, Favored Soul, Warlock, Dragonfire Adept, Wilder, and Dread Necromancer are all T3 or higher and benefit from high Charisma.

Personally i would reccomend either the Warlock or Dragonfire Adept, but that is mostly my preferance to invocations due to their at-will nature, plus if you go Warlock//Binder you have a super easy combo to justify IC

Chronos
2015-02-07, 01:09 PM
Theurge-type classes are generally strongly discouraged in gestalt. That would be even more true for something like Anima Mage, which gives a boatload of good class features in addition to full progression of two magic systems.

Personally, I'd go for Shadowcaster. It's not the most powerful, of course, but the two classes complement each other well: Shadowcaster's main drawback is that you get so few uses of your mysteries each day, but all of the Binder's every-five-rounds abilities fills that gap nicely: Most of the time, plug away with your renewable resources, and then occasionally drop a shadow mystery nuke when you need it.

Troacctid
2015-02-07, 01:21 PM
For me the choice would depend on what level you're starting at. At a very low level (4 or less) I would pick an invoker or initiator, as they are very strong early while still scaling well into higher levels. At a high level (10 or greater) I would pick a fixed-list caster such as Cleric, Druid, or Beguiler, because casters are where you really want to be at that level, but picking all your spells known at once is a big pain in the neck and I'd rather not have to bother with it. For any level in between, I would look at the rest of the party for roles that aren't already being filled, and try to avoid redundancy.