PDA

View Full Version : D20 modern mindhacking [D20 modern/future]

Foolster41
2015-02-06, 09:22 PM
So, I'm considering starting a new D20 future campaign based on the anime "Ghost in shell: standalone complex", but there's no real hacking rules in the core SRD rules (and I've heard cyberspace is terrible). I don't like the already set up way of using the D20 arcana adv. class Techno mage (http://www.d20resources.com/arcana.d20.srd/advanced.classes/techno.mage.php) this basically requires 3 classes in smart (or a ton of other classes) and the adv. class. So doing interesting combinations are basically impossible.

How I'm thinking about doing this is adding a new smart class talent "hacker", and this opens uses per day of spells equal to 2 levels of technomage (so first time you get 1 4th spells and 2 1st, in addition to any bonuses from high int), . New talents opens uses equal to 2 more levels of technomage.

Hacking is the spells, that you must roll computer use. vs. their defense (will). If it fails, you still retain the use per day, but can't use it again that encounter. (Or maybe it be can be used again, but some complication arises).

Does this make sense? Too weak? Not interesting?

atemu1234
2015-02-06, 10:02 PM
Interesting idea, though in general I use rules for the Plane of Dreams from Manual of the Planes rather than the cyberspace ones.

Milo v3
2015-02-07, 12:43 AM
Why are you using Technomage as the basis of hacking, when it has nothing to do with hacking? If anything use something related to the Shadowjack.

Foolster41
2015-02-07, 01:18 AM
Interesting idea, though in general I use rules for the Plane of Dreams from Manual of the Planes rather than the cyberspace ones.

I look a look at MoP, and I don't quite see how that quite works for what I'm looking for, though maybe I'm missing something. The idea of representing cyberspace as a plane of reality like the matrix is interesting, but not really something I'm interested in (i'd rather actions be more like spells and resolved quickly).

Why are you using Technomage as the basis of hacking, when it has nothing to do with hacking? If anything use something related to the Shadowjack.

I want to do specifically mind hacking (i.e hacking eyes, or taking control), which would mean using something like spell-like abilities. Shadowjack doesn't seem to do that.

Milo v3
2015-02-07, 01:40 AM
I want to do specifically mind hacking (i.e hacking eyes, or taking control), which would mean using something like spell-like abilities. Shadowjack doesn't seem to do that.

Give a look towards the telepath's powers rather than technomage's spells then. As for the rules, a skill roll is generally much much much higher than a save like will, there's basically no chance of the effect failing as written.