PDA

View Full Version : Mounts for Frost Giants?

Thoughtbot360
2007-04-05, 02:02 PM
Hi, I need a cold-climate animal that acts as a suitable mount for Giants. This is needed not neccessarily for any whacked-out PCs I'll be playing anytime soon, but for the writing of my campaign world's history.

A note on prerequisites: This will have to be a huge animal with a decent Move Speed. White Dragons would be nice, but Dragons take a long time to breed, so they might be out of the hypotetical question.

I appreciate all your help!:smallbiggrin:

Zaggab
2007-04-05, 02:05 PM
Something like this (http://www.darkencomic.com/d/20040723.html), maybe?

Thoughtbot360
2007-04-05, 02:11 PM
Something like this (http://www.darkencomic.com/d/20040723.html), maybe?

*Looks at the Mammoth Rider*

By The Gods! That's Exactly What I Want To Look Like! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUWorV2u0BM)

Seriously though, got anything less....extinct?

Meat Shield
2007-04-05, 02:28 PM
As DM, nothing has to be extinct if you don't want it to be.

Wasn't there a Frost Worm somewhere? I know it exists, but not what book it is in.

Black Mage
2007-04-05, 02:30 PM
Grab Frostburn. I'm sure you'll find some giant sized frost beast for them to ride around on. And Mammoths are in there.

belboz
2007-04-05, 02:40 PM
What about a Winter Wolf, advanced to 10-18 HD? Size H, 50' move, seriously badass (as Xykon would say) appearance, close enough typical alignment.

(And I understand what you mean about the "extinct" thing. Fantasy creatures are one thing, but resurrecting real extinct creatures gives the campaign a certain...feel, because they resonate with our images of prehistory, that you might not want.)

Lolzords
2007-04-05, 03:01 PM
A tarrasque? A cold one?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-04-05, 03:03 PM
Tlalusks (from Frostburn) I believe even mention they are often used by Frost Giants.

Thoughtbot360
2007-04-05, 03:32 PM
What about a Winter Wolf, advanced to 10-18 HD? Size H, 50' move, seriously badass (as Xykon would say) appearance, close enough typical alignment.

(And I understand what you mean about the "extinct" thing. Fantasy creatures are one thing, but resurrecting real extinct creatures gives the campaign a certain...feel, because they resonate with our images of prehistory, that you might not want.)

Well, that works.

I'm not sure about the Frost Worm (its in the Monster Manual, by the way), I mean a worm is a little difficult to ride.

Indon
2007-04-05, 03:40 PM
Don't Remorhazes breathe frost and that sort of thing?

I think they're intelligent, though.

Merlin the Tuna
2007-04-05, 03:44 PM
Remorhazes also have super-hot bodies. Not an ideal mount for a frost giant.

Meat Shield
2007-04-05, 03:46 PM
Well, that works.

I'm not sure about the Frost Worm (its in the Monster Manual, by the way), I mean a worm is a little difficult to ride.
Have you never read Dune?

Frosty Flake
2007-04-05, 04:03 PM
I know you said you were looking for something less extinct... but, seriously, the Megaloceros Giganteus (Irish Elk) are awesome... just imagine dour frost giants riding huge antlered herbivors across a snowstorm-scoured frozen wasteland... snowblinded adventurers caught unawares by twlve-foot-spanning antlers!

I think there are rules for them in frostfell or somewhere.

Black Mage
2007-04-05, 04:09 PM
Yeah, the Megalocerous is in Frostfell, along with quite a few big critters that could carry a frost giant.

ocato
2007-04-05, 04:31 PM
Well, giant rams would be kinda cool.

Thoughtbot360
2007-04-05, 04:35 PM
I know you said you were looking for something less extinct... but, seriously, the Megaloceros Giganteus (Irish Elk) are awesome... just imagine dour frost giants riding huge antlered herbivors across a snowstorm-scoured frozen wasteland... snowblinded adventurers caught unawares by twlve-foot-spanning antlers!

I think there are rules for them in frostfell or somewhere.

We have a champion!

:roach:: And then Giant Bambi said "This is for my mom, you bastards!"

.......Roach cameo FTW!

Fax Celestis
2007-04-05, 04:47 PM
Frost Worms work as well, and are rather nifty in their own regard.

Indon
2007-04-05, 04:53 PM
Have you never read Dune?

Mild dune spoiler:

Those were not mounts, those were moving platforms. :smallwink:

But still, if you actually have ranks in ride, that means you're capable of riding unusual things like dragons and frost worms.

Clementx
2007-04-05, 04:54 PM
I have to put into another vote for mastadon/mammoths. Creatures built like them under creative names like [Generic Noun or Adjective][Random Verb]er are in Frostburn, MMII/III, and a couple other places.

Black Mage
2007-04-05, 04:58 PM
You have to throw in a couple dire polar bears. Just for fun. They don't even have to be mounts. They're just scarey.

Thoughtbot360
2007-04-05, 05:50 PM
You have to throw in a couple dire polar bears. Just for fun. They don't even have to be mounts. They're just scarey.

Dire animals ARE on the menu for my Dwarflands setting (for which I'm asking about Giant Mounts)......

Thoughtbot360
2007-04-05, 06:08 PM
A tarrasque? A cold one?

no. Just no. Besides, with sizes taken into account, that would be like a Halfling riding on an elephant.:smallamused:

silentknight
2007-04-05, 06:24 PM
Manual of the Planes has a cold elemental template that could be added to a favorite huge monster...

**PRESTO**

You now have a mount for your giants.

Demented
2007-04-05, 07:00 PM
no. Just no. Besides, with sizes taken into account, that would be like a Halfling riding on an elephant.:smallamused:

A seriously badass frost halfling on a seriously badass frost elephant... but yeah.

goat
2007-04-05, 07:42 PM
I can't imagine a polar bear, dire or not, being very happy with someone riding it.

Although, I suppose in a D&D world full of monsters, they'd not be top of the foodchain and might be more docile.

Ride a giant walrus. Put it on a big skateboard for speed.

Toliudar
2007-04-05, 07:55 PM
For something also cool-looking but slightly less, er, predatory, you could also advance a Dire Boar, and make it shaggy and white.

the_tick_rules
2007-04-05, 08:11 PM
just make your frost giant all monks, then they can outrun horses.

The_Werebear
2007-04-05, 08:21 PM
I can't imagine a polar bear, dire or not, being very happy with someone riding it.

Although, I suppose in a D&D world full of monsters, they'd not be top of the foodchain and might be more docile.

That's an...interesting...image.

A giant riding a walrus riding a skateboard.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-05, 08:23 PM
There's also the Dire Rhinoceros out of the Fiend Folio (why it's in there, I'll never know).

Annarrkkii
2007-04-05, 08:34 PM
I, personally, like the idea of a Cauchemar Nightmare, flipped over otemphasize cold instead of fire. Frosty hooves instead of flaming ones, and a snowblinding effect instead of smoke.

Begle1
2007-04-05, 08:54 PM
Roc's!

I'd think. How big are frost giants? If they could fit a wolly mammoth, they'd fit roc's...

Innis Cabal
2007-04-05, 08:59 PM
white dragon for the leader, nothing says "Fear me" like swooping down on your foes with a frost breath weapon heralding your approch

MegasquidMan
2007-04-05, 09:09 PM
Roc's!

I'd think. How big are frost giants? If they could fit a wolly mammoth, they'd fit roc's...

Frost Giants are Large.

Honestly, a lot of the following ideas seem VERY good for Frost Giant Mounts.

-Mammoth (if Hill Giants can have Indricotheriums... via-Fiend Folio, this could work too.)
-Dire Rhino (they're, pardon my inter-speak, HUEG!)
-Leveled up Winter Wolves are a cool idea
-The icy version of Nightmares seem cool, too, and it's those specific ones that are bigger than typical Nightmares, right?
-Roc... hmm... maybe.
-Icy Dire Boars (most likely leveled up, too)

Though, I'd have to say no on the Megaloceras. They're basically as big as Moose, and Moose are Large, not Huge.

But yeah, so far all these ideas are great.

Thoughtbot360
2007-04-05, 11:02 PM
A seriously badass frost halfling on a seriously badass frost elephant... but yeah.

I, personally, like the idea of a Cauchemar Nightmare, flipped over otemphasize cold instead of fire. Frosty hooves instead of flaming ones, and a snowblinding effect instead of smoke.

God, I love you people. I just do.

By the, way, I've offically choosen an offshoot of the Megaloceras. My own creation, the Dire Elk. Actually, I'm going to add a note about Dire Elk meat in the Dwarven food section, right next to the mention I made of Dire Boars.

Click on my sig if you want to read the content, it starts about the....5th post down (right after a comment I made responding to questions of the odd rules I was using.