PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Opinions on a homebrew race - Gatorfolk

Unbalanced
2015-02-07, 06:23 AM
Hey guys. Whipped up this custom race for an upcoming campaign.
Just wondering if people think its not too OP. It'll only be a 2 man party, so a bit OP is good, but I don't want it to be ridiculous. I was thinking about on-par with Lizardfolk. Maybe a bit better.
My DM is happy with it but I just wanted to know other's opinions.

Gatorfolk

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/047/5/0/gatorman_barbarian___color_by_ourmasshysteria-d5v7bsq.jpg

Standard Racial Traits
Ability Score Racial Traits: Gatorfolk are very large, bulky creatures. As a result they are strong and resilient. They gain +4 Strength, and +2 Constitution.
Size: Gatorfolk are Medium creatures and thus receive no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Type: Gatorfolk are Humanoids with the reptilian subtype.
Base Speed: Gatorfolk have a base speed of 20 feet.
Languages: Gatorfolk begin play speaking Xenophobic. Depending on the Gatorfolk’s upbringing, he may also know Common.

Defence Racial Traits
Natural Armour: Gatorfolk have tough scaly skin, granting them a +2 natural armour bonus.
I Never Get Sick: Gatorfolk traditionally are born and raised in swamp environments and are constantly exposed to the elements. As a result Gatorfolk have developed a very strong immune system and receive a +4 on saves vs disease.

Offense Racial Traits
Natural Attack (bite): Gatorfolk have large vicious maws lined with sharp teeth. This bite attack deals 1d8 damage and deals piercing damage. The bite attack is treated as a primary attack, or secondary attack if the character is wielding manufactured weapons.
Natural attack (claw x2): Gatorfolk have hands very similar to the feet of an alligator or crocodile. These claw attacks deal 1d4 per claw and deal slashing damage. The claws are treated as a primary attack, or secondary attack, depending on what other natural or manufactured weapons are being wielded by the character.
Tail trip: Gatorfolk also have long scaly tails that drag along behind their body. They can sometimes utilise their sweeping tail to try and trip enemies behind them. A gatorfolk’s tail can only be used to attempt a trip when there are 2 or more enemies in adjoining squares behind the character. If attempting a trip using the Tail Trip manoeuvre you may target up to 3 enemies in adjoining squares and you receive +4 to your CMB.

Senses Racial Traits
Low-light vision: Gatorfolk can see twice as far as a human in dim light.
Darkvision: Gatorfolk can see perfectly in the dark up to 30 feet.
Water-breathing: Gatorfolk have the ability to breathe underwater, but not indefinitely. Gatorfolk can breathe underwater for 1 minute per Constitution modifier score at a time.

Movement Racial Traits
Swim: Gatorfolk have a swim speed of 30 feet and thus gain a +8 racial bonus on Swim checks.
Burst of Speed: Gatorfolk are generally slow and lumbering, but in short bursts can dramatically increase their speed. Gatorfolk may increase their movement speed from 20ft to 40ft for an amount of rounds per day equal to their level + Con modifier score.

Vhaidara
2015-02-07, 03:06 PM
Well, first off, this is a race, not a class
Second, this should be in the Homebrew section.
Third, this is crazy strong. You say compare to the lizardfolk. Let's do so
Ability modifier: An extra +2 Str
Speed: This is a bit weaker
Defense: an extra +6 vs disease
Offense: Bite is 1d8 instead of 1d3, and you added the Tail Sweep
Senses: you added Low-Light Vision, Darkvision, and Waterbreathing
Movement: A sprint ability to counteract the lowered base move speed.

So, in exchange for 10 move speed, you get 2 Str, +6 vs disease, Darkvision, Low-Light Vision, Water Breathing, 3 die increases on the bite, a tail sweep, and a sprint option.

If you want a balanced gator-folk race, I recommend checking out the Sobek (https://www.dropbox.com/s/tfwab1frbgm7ocj/Akashic%20Races.pdf) from Dreamscarred Press' Akashic Mysteries

ComaVision
2015-02-07, 05:24 PM
Why can the trip only be used if there are multiple opponents behind the gator?

Unbalanced
2015-02-07, 08:45 PM
Well, first off, this is a race, not a class
My bad. Corrected.

Second, this should be in the Homebrew section.
The reason I put it here is because its to be played within all the Pathfinder rules in a Pathfinder campaign.
(And I forgot there was a separate homebrew section, haha)

Third, this is crazy strong. You say compare to the lizardfolk. Let's do so
Ability modifier: An extra +2 Str
Speed: This is a bit weaker
Defense: an extra +6 vs disease
Offense: Bite is 1d8 instead of 1d3, and you added the Tail Sweep
Senses: you added Low-Light Vision, Darkvision, and Waterbreathing
Movement: A sprint ability to counteract the lowered base move speed.
**+4 vs disease. DM has said the chances of it coming into play are minimal but its very suitable flavour wise.
Bite is larger in line with a gator's mouth/bite. And its intended to be the primary attack. Maybe I should drop the claws back to 1d3?
Tail Trip is quite situational and I'd be surprised if it gets much use at all. Its more just for flavour.

To balance it out a bit should I make that if you want to keep the claw attacks, then due to the length of your claws you're unable to wield martial weapons without -4 penalty?? Of course, you can always get rid of your claw attacks, file down your claws, and then wield weapons without penalty.

Unbalanced
2015-02-07, 08:48 PM
Why can the trip only be used if there are multiple opponents behind the gator?
Basically just to make it more situational and less spammable.