PDA

View Full Version : Help make a Monk

Thoa
2015-02-07, 11:52 AM
So my co-player wants to make a monk, as far as I have understood him. I think he likes the challenge of the moks restrictions and has never ever played a monk before. He did not specify his intentions in which direction he wants to go, but i think some general help would be very appreciated.

SO:
We are playing in a evil campaign as part of the cult of GraŽazt.
We are currently level 10 and he will create a new character to join the Rogue and me (Sorcerer 6 / thrall of GraŽazt 4). As our Dm likes to give us Items he will have 200k of Gold availiable.

I think he likes the amount of attacks and maybe you can show me a direction to improve them or get even more. Maybe through a monster race or sth.

Finishing question: How many attacks would a Half-Dragon Monk on level 11 have, for example?
Would he only be able to use his flurry of blows, which means four attakcs with +8/+8/+8/+3 bonus
OR would he be able to use the Flurry and his Natural attacks? So +8/+8/+8/+3/ and +3/+3/-2 for the nat attacks?

As always thank you in advance.

P.S. This is known:
http://diceofdoom.com/blog/2009/11/powergaming-making-a-powerful-fighter-or-monk-in-core-3-5-dd/

Blackhawk748
2015-02-07, 12:08 PM
If hes gonna be a Half Dragon he would probably be better off being a Decisive Strike Monk, as he would probably get more bang for his buck over going normal Flurry. Also i feel i need to recommend Fist of the Forest here, as Con to AC is too nice to pass up, especially if hes a half dragon. You know what, heres a build.

Half Dragon Human (1 flaw) Lion Spirit Totem Whirling Frenzy Barbarian 4/Fist of the Forest 3/ Something full Bab X

Feats:
1st Great Fortitude (ew, pre req), IUAS, Power Attack
3rd Superior Unarmed Strike (ToB)
6th Beast Strike (Dragon 355)
9th this ones open

Now your on a Full BaB chasis, you have more HP and you get Con to AC as well as do your claw damage in addition to you Unarmed damage, you've got Pounce and 3 attacks while Raging. Have fun shredding things.

Flickerdart
2015-02-07, 12:09 PM
Finishing question: How many attacks would a Half-Dragon Monk on level 11 have, for example?
Would he only be able to use his flurry of blows, which means four attakcs with +8/+8/+8/+3 bonus
OR would he be able to use the Flurry and his Natural attacks? So +8/+8/+8/+3/ and +3/+3/-2 for the nat attacks?
Natural attacks are not Monk weapons, so he would not be able to combine them with the flurry.

Karl Aegis
2015-02-07, 04:07 PM
What books do you have? Do you have the seven or more books required to even play the monk?

Troacctid
2015-02-07, 04:34 PM
The vast majority of his power is going to come from item selection. Monk class features are not very good, especially at high levels. However, even a Commoner can be relevant if you have cash out the wazoo and spend it the right way.

Alternate class features are pretty much going to be mandatory if you're Monking around. Invisible Fist (from Exemplars of Evil) is a good one, giving you immediate action invisibility once every three rounds at 2nd level (replacing evasion) and at-will blink at 9th level (replacing improved evasion). Dark Moon substitution levels are also good at 7th level, giving you shadow blend, which gives you total concealment in any illumination less than full daylight. He probably just wants one or the other, though, as they don't stack well. Also, slow fall can be swapped out for the ability to run on water or run up walls, either of which is probably a minor improvement, and you can use Planar Monk substitution levels to pick up a bit of energy resistance, which is usually more relevant than immunity to disease.

Thurbane
2015-02-07, 07:02 PM
See how the DM rules Soul Eater (BoVD) - if it's one negative level per touch/attack, it's not bad for a Monk character.

Andion Isurand
2015-02-08, 03:18 AM
You could go with only one level of Spiritual Lion Totem Barbarian taken at 1st level.
That way you could get Quick Burning Rage and Slow to Anger (Dragon 325) as flaws, and simply neglect using Rage altogether.
If you wanted more levels with the Hit Dice and base scores of a Barbarian, you could try some Warblade.

If you're character is chaotic, you could take one level of Battle Dancer (at 2nd level).
Doing so would effectively give you Improved Unarmed Strike and give you an unarmored bonus to your AC based on your charisma, without losing BAB.

If you're character is chaotic good, and its within character, you could then add two Paladin of Freedom levels (at 3rd and 4th level) to add your Charisma bonus to saving throws.

CIDE
2015-02-08, 03:24 AM
Vow of Poverty all the way. It fixes everything.

Or you could look at methods online (I can't locate the thread) that discuss also enchanting unarmed strike.