PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Feats from the College of War Magic

Zaydos
2015-02-07, 12:08 PM
I have decided that this week (starting yesterday) is Wizard week. So you get some feats designed for mages participating in large scale conflicts and battles. They are not all only useful there (Demoralizing Spell and Healing Pulse being the ones to first come to mind as useful outside of it), in fact I doubt any are only useful there... except Ritualistic Evocation which by making fireball take 4 rounds to cast means you probably won't be using it in combat.

Artillery Mage:
You are trained in firing off long distance attack spells.
Prerequisites: Telescopic Spell (see below) or Warmage 1st+ or Evoker 1st+.
Benefit: The range of any Evocation spell with a range of Close, Medium, or Long that you cast is doubled (50-ft + 10-ft/2 levels, 200-ft + 20-ft/level, 800-ft + 80-ft/level).
Special: You may take this feat multiple times, its effects stack. Remember that two doublings equal a tripling, and three quadruple.

Bend Magic
You are trained in dwarven tunnel war magic, able to turn lightning on its side.
Prerequisites: –
Benefit: When you cast a spell with an area of Line you may have it turn up to 90 degrees at any 1 point in its area.

Demoralizing Spell [Metamagic]:
You are capable of evoking fear with your magics.
Prerequisites: Ability to cast necromancy spells, ability to cast at least 1 spell with the Fear descriptor.
Benefit: A demoralizing spell invokes fear on any creature that it damages forcing them to make a Will save (same DC as the spell) or be shaken for 1 round per spell level (this is a mind-affecting fear effect); this shaken effect does not stack with any fear induced directly by the spell (in the case of one that already causes fear). No matter how many times a creature is damaged by a demoralizing spell they never have to make more than one save against a single spell's fear effect. A demoralizing spell uses a spell slot 1 level higher than the spell's actual level.

Healing Pulse
Your healing magic releases a pulse of life force which heals others.
Prerequisites: -
Benefit: Whenever you cast a spell from the Conjuration (Healing) subschool you may have it release a pulse of healing energy. If you do any number of other creatures within 10-ft of the target per level of the spell used regain 2 hit points per level of the spell used (Will halves, same DC as spell). This is a positive energy effect and damages undead.

If the spell had multiple targets (such as Mass Cure Light Wounds) each releases a pulse, but no creature can be affected by more than one pulse released by a single spell. A target may, however, be affected by a pulse released by another target.

Special: You may take this feat multiple times each time you do the pulses' healing effects increase by 1 hit point per spell level used and range increase by 10-ft per level (for example with 2 instances of this feat you would heal creatures within 20-ft/spell level, 3 hp/spell level, with 3 it would increase to 30-ft/spell level, and 4 hp/spell level).

Legion Magic
You are adept at targeting a great number of creatures with relative ease.
Prerequisites: None.
Benefit: When you cast a spell which targets a number of creatures based upon your caster level such as 1 creature/caster level, or 1 creature/2 caster levels, you may target twice as many creatures as normal. In addition the distance they can be from each other is twice the normal amount, but they still must be within the range of the spell. This benefit also applies to teleportation effects which can carry a number of creatures based upon your level (such as teleport).
Special: You may take this feat multiple times, each time you do the number of creatures that can be affected increases by 100% of the original amount (i.e. 2 times means it's tripled, 3 times quadrupled, 4 times quintupled).

Ritualistic Evocation
You are capable of casting evocation spells more slowly to maximize their area.
Prerequisites: Artillery Mage.
Benefit: When you cast an Evocation spell you may cast it as a ritual spell which takes 1 full round + 1 full round per spell level. If you do its range triples (for a quadrupling with the effects of Artillery Mage) and its area is tripled in each dimension as well (20-ft radius becomes 60-ft radius, 20-ft cube becomes 40-ft cube).

Summon Legion
When you summon multiple creatures you summon additional creatures.
Prerequisites: Augment Summoning.
Benefit: When you use a Summon Monster, Summon Nature’s Ally, or equivalent to summon 1d3 creatures you summon 1d3+1 instead. When you use one to summon 1d4+1 creatures you summon 2d4 instead.

Telescopic Spell [Metamagic]
You are capable of casting a spell at much longer ranges than normal.
Prerequisites: Enlarge Spell.
Benefit: This metamagic can be used one of two ways. In the first you triple a spell’s range, but it uses a spell slot two levels higher than its actual level. In the second you multiply a spell’s range by ten (+900%), but it uses a spell slot three levels higher than its actual level. This feat cannot be applied to spells which have an area which is the same as their range such as many cones, emanations, and lines.

Witch’s Eyes
You are capable of creating lesser familiars and seeing through their eyes.
Prerequisites: Ability to summon a familiar.
Benefit: You are capable of calling 1 lesser familiar, plus 1 per 3 levels in classes which advance your familiar. These lesser familiars do not gain most of the abilities of being a familiar, only gaining Empathic Link, Intelligence 6, Improved Evasion, and ability to grant Alertness feat. They do not share their master’s skill points except for Listen, Search, and Spot, but may still use their master’s saving throws and do gain hit points as normal for a familiar. Creating a lesser familiar requires a 4 hour ritual with materials costing 100 GP. You do not lose any XP when a lesser familiar dies, and may summon a new one immediately thereafter.
In addition you gain the ability to spend a standard action to concentrate and see through the eyes of one of your familiars using its senses temporarily instead of your own.

Witch's Eyes, Extra
You are capable of creating more lesser familiars.
Prerequisites: Witch's Eyes.
Benefit: You are capable of calling an additional 3 lesser familiars.
Special: You may take this feat multiple times, its effects stack.

r2d2go
2015-02-08, 12:44 AM
Pretty cool! These are all interesting feats, ones I'd recommend as homebrew war spells. There's a few things that came to mind as potential improvements, though.

Healing Pulse seems good, but a little weak for it's intended purpose. I feel like an army would want many low-level healers, so it might be good to keep a flat radius of healing (15-30 feet?). After all, your high level casters probably have better things to do than full-healing a few hundred mooks (e.g. Killing a few thousand :smalltongue:)

Summon Legion is cool, but seems limited. One thing that might help is if you allow further reduction in level in exchange for further increase in number. For example, you could make a 3-level lower summon get 2d8 or 3d6 creatures, perhaps progressing in weapon-dice fashion from there? It'd also make high level spells really live up to the name :smallbiggrin:

A general idea I had was enhancing the spells by taking the feat more than once. For example, getting +1 hp/level with Healing Pulse, getting an extra few familiars with Witch's Eyes, or stacking multipliers with Legion Magic. Probably not necessary but might be cool.

Anyway, that's it from me for today (you might notice that I commented on each of your "Wizard week" homebrews :smallbiggrin:). Again, great stuff, just my two coppers on what might help.

Zaydos
2015-02-08, 01:43 AM
Pretty cool! These are all interesting feats, ones I'd recommend as homebrew war spells. There's a few things that came to mind as potential improvements, though.

Healing Pulse seems good, but a little weak for it's intended purpose. I feel like an army would want many low-level healers, so it might be good to keep a flat radius of healing (15-30 feet?). After all, your high level casters probably have better things to do than full-healing a few hundred mooks (e.g. Killing a few thousand :smalltongue:)

I was trying to balance it off of Augment Healing which is... not a top tier feat but a fun one in play (I like being healbot cleric... no one suspects anything and then you unload your Harm spells). Though it's probably better (2 hp to main target/spell level and no healing enemies)... And I probably need to go over what happens when it's coupled with Mass Cure spells... I'm thinking each target releases a pulse and these pulses can heal other creatures which were targets of the initial spell but no creature receives healing from more than one pulse at a time.

Think 2 hp/spell level and no healing enemies would be more balanced?

Summon Legion is cool, but seems limited. One thing that might help is if you allow further reduction in level in exchange for further increase in number. For example, you could make a 3-level lower summon get 2d8 or 3d6 creatures, perhaps progressing in weapon-dice fashion from there? It'd also make high level spells really live up to the name :smallbiggrin:

Each level represents a little less than a doubling of creature power (goes from 1/2 to 1 at 1st to ~11 at 9, with some 12 iirc). Looking at the actual normal progression you want a little less than a doubling each time. So 1d3, 1d4+1, 1d6+2, 3d6, 5d6, 9d6... (with feat's boost 1d3+1, 2d4, 2d6+1, 3d6+2, 5d6+4, 9d6+7...) I really like the suggestion, I'll have to think about the math a little more and probably put a cap at something like -4 or 5 just for convenience's sake (I mean who ever really needs to summon more than 30 creatures with one spell?).

A general idea I had was enhancing the spells by taking the feat more than once. For example, getting +1 hp/level with Healing Pulse, getting an extra few familiars with Witch's Eyes, or stacking multipliers with Legion Magic. Probably not necessary but might be cool.

I like the idea, will be thinking about it with Healing Pulse based upon whether I change it. Think 2 per iteration works for Witch's Eyes? And I'm having trouble thinking of anything it would break with Legion Magic so I see no reason not to. Think I could allow the same thing for Artillery Mage, or do you think that would get to be too much range? How often are you really going to need 2000+ ft range on your fireballs? Not going to include it with Summon Legion since it's actually probably the highest power one already; I mean Malconvokers lose a caster level and are still a very strong prc for a class ability that adds 1 summon to the highest level creatures you can summon and 2 of 1 level lower are approximately equivalent.

Anyway, that's it from me for today (you might notice that I commented on each of your "Wizard week" homebrews :smallbiggrin:). Again, great stuff, just my two coppers on what might help.

I did and it was much appreciated and gave me a good bit to think about.

r2d2go
2015-02-08, 02:46 AM
Think 2 hp/spell level and no healing enemies would be more balanced?

That's probably good.

I like the idea, will be thinking about it with Healing Pulse based upon whether I change it. Think 2 per iteration works for Witch's Eyes? And I'm having trouble thinking of anything it would break with Legion Magic so I see no reason not to. Think I could allow the same thing for Artillery Mage, or do you think that would get to be too much range? How often are you really going to need 2000+ ft range on your fireballs? Not going to include it with Summon Legion since it's actually probably the highest power one already; I mean Malconvokers lose a caster level and are still a very strong prc for a class ability that adds 1 summon to the highest level creatures you can summon and 2 of 1 level lower are approximately equivalent.

I'd probably make it 3 for Witch's Eyes, or perhaps an additional 1 per 3 levels. It needs to have a pretty significant boost for it to be worth a feat, and I'm not sure an extra 2 scouts is enough utility to make it worth it. Artillery Mage is probably a decent one - it's more for the utility of significant battlefield range (firing off fireballs before your enemies can even see you).

I did and it was much appreciated and gave me a good bit to think about.

No problem :smallsmile:

Milo v3
2015-02-08, 06:53 AM
I really like these, especially the idea of multiple weak familiars.