PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Savage Scoundrel [Barbarian Archetype]

CinuzIta
2015-02-07, 12:20 PM
Hi all! As a mental exercise I've tried to create a barbarian archetype aimed to recreate the kind of barbarian Conan the Cimmerian is...in many builds I've seen that some levels of Rogue, alongside many others of Barbarian, are suggested, so I've blended some elements of the two and came up with this! I was aiming to create something funny to play but not utterly broken (ho! Let me know what you think!

Savage Scoundrel

"Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet."
Robert E. Howard, The Phoenix on the Sword, 1932.

Class Skill(s): A savage scoundrel gains Bluff (Cha), Knowledge (dungeoneering) (Int) and Knowledge (local) (Int) as a class skill and removes Climb from her list of barbarian class skills.

Armor and weapon proficiency

A savage scoundrel lose proficiency with medium armor and shields (except for the buckler).

Sneak Attack

If a savage scoundrel can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, she can strike a vital spot for extra damage.

The savage scoundrel's attack deals extra damage anytime her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the savage scoundrel flanks her target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 3rd level, and increases by 1d6 every three savage scoundrel levels thereafter. Should the savage scoundrel score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied. Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet.

With a weapon that deals nonlethal damage (like a sap, whip, or an unarmed strike), a savage scoundrel can make a sneak attack that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. She cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage in a sneak attack, not even with the usual –4 penalty.

The savage scoundrel must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. A savage scoundrel cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment.

This ability replace Trap Sense.

Rogue Talents

As a savage scoundrel gains experience, she learns a number of talents that aid her and confound her foes. Starting at 7th level, a savage scoundrel gains one rogue talent. She gains an additional rogue talent for every 3 levels of savage scoundrel attained after 7th level. A savage scoundrel cannot select an individual talent more than once.

Talents marked with an asterisk add effects to a savage scoundrel's sneak attack. Only one of these talents can be applied to an individual attack and the decision must be made before the attack roll is made.

A savage scoundrel cannot choose a ninja trick with the same name as a rogue talent.

This ability replace Damage Reduction.

Oracle_of_Void
2015-02-07, 09:06 PM
A simple archetype but does what you want it to do. Got a barbarian with a more rogue type of game play. I haven't read the Conan series or seen the movies so I can't comment on that aspect of it. Balance wise, I don't see any problems. Sneak attack adds some potential damage and rogue talents are nice too. But no more trap sense or damage reduction. Plus your armor is going to be lighter. Really, the only straight upgrade you get with this is the better skill list. Lets be honest, no one takes climb and all the other skills you gain are much better. I don't have a problem with that though, I think martial characters need better skill lists any way. If I was a DM, I'd let a player use this.

CinuzIta
2015-02-08, 05:52 AM
It's nice to hear it! Being this One my first pathfinder class' homebrew, I was somewhat unsure about replacing Trap Sense with Sneak Attack, as I wasn't sure if that would've been a good choice! Nice to see I''ve not broke the game!:P