PDA

View Full Version : Help me Build my new Pc

Nosta
2015-02-07, 01:25 PM
I've been in a gestalt game for a year and half its a homebrew sitting. All 3.5 3.0 and most DRM allowed.
were level 8 and my scout/ranger just passed away and I need a new pc.
I've been wanting to do a Artifcer/Factotum combo. cause this time i want to be more about making things for the party and helping in non combat type ways.

we get seven feats 35k GP. two flaws are allowed

I just have no Idea how to Build it

Help please

38 point buy btw

Xerlith
2015-02-07, 01:51 PM
oh boy, this is good. At level 8 you have the ability to gain the best out of factotum thanks to the additional standard actions from Cunning Surge.
I have no idea if you want to burn your feats on Font of Inspiration though, but that's certainly an option worth considering- with the Artificer side doing heavy lifting for the "active" part - provided via items - you can pretty much go wild, although you'll burn the wand charges really, really quickly.

One big question though is - in combat, do you want to melee? Fight ranged? Drop support/Battlefield Control spells? Summon? Command hordes of constructs? Artificer is a very broad class, factotum as well.

You may want to dip a different full-BAB class at 1st level at one of the sides so that you gain full BAB on every level (the non-bab levels differentiating between each other).

Whatever route you go, the highest priority for you will be Intelligence, closely followed by Constitution. Then, depending on what you want to do, either Dexterity or Strength and Charisma (for UMD). Wisdom is a classic dump-stat here.

Nosta
2015-02-07, 03:42 PM
any one know what race i should be for this?

Xerlith
2015-02-07, 04:51 PM
Human. Burn four feats on FoI, use the remaining four (or six, counting flaws) to enhance your chosen combat style.

Also, remember to ask your DM if you can count the magic items in your possession as crafted by yourself, effectively doubling your WBL to spend on magic items.

Nosta
2015-02-07, 04:57 PM
Human. Burn four feats on FoI, use the remaining four (or six, counting flaws) to enhance your chosen combat style.

Also, remember to ask your DM if you can count the magic items in your possession as crafted by yourself, effectively doubling your WBL to spend on magic items.

I want to be less about combat and more about making things to help my party. whats a good way to go with this?

Xerlith
2015-02-07, 07:02 PM
You want craft cost-reduction feats. Have a handbook. (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1000.0)

Here's (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2829.0) a general guide to Artificer.

Overall: Craft a Dedicated Wright and some extradimensional space (Bag of Holding?). That'll be the basis of your workshop. The Wright will work on the items you want while you can adventure without a hassle. In fact, state you ALREADY built the homunculus. And put it to good work.
Remember, the Artificer's power grows with the amount of downtime your party has. If they're all about fast-paced adventuring, your Wright is the best investment.

In general, you'll want some spreadsheets to quickly calculate the costs of magic items you want to craft, taking into account the cost- and time reductions you apply to them. I'm pretty sure there was one made in Excel floating around the boards.

Fun things:
There was a 1st level cleric/wizard spell (whose name I can't remember) that allowed the spellcaster and up to 5 (I think it was 5) willing participants to pay the amount of XP needed for an item collectively instead of just one person paying the whole cost. Craft a wand of it.

Remember, you want to restrict the items to specific classes/races/alignments to reduce the costs.

Remember (#2), you can ask someone else to pay the XP cost of an item instead of you. But with the Artificer's Craft Pool and Retain Essence that shouldn't be a problem.

Oh, and a short combat tip:
Craft a wand of Unfettered Heroism (4th level bard spell). It gives you 1 action point/round. Now, you can burn an action point to quicken an infusion instead of spending a minute. So... Yeah. Unfettered Heroism -> Cunning Surge -> put Bane (Whatever enemy you're facing) on your crossbow/bow/whatever you're using -> YEAAAH.