PDA

View Full Version : Raise Dead Early

Rakoa
2015-02-07, 06:11 PM
What is the earliest level that it would be possible to Raise Dead? (or whatever variation will bring someone back). It would be much appreciated to know. Method, of course, would be helpful to have with it.

Darrin
2015-02-07, 06:30 PM
Lesser planar ally (Hollyphant) can do it at 7th. If you use the sacrifice rules from BoVD, that's doable at 1st level.

Rakoa
2015-02-08, 01:48 AM
That's almost perfect! Our cleric just hit level 7 as I posted this. Only thing is, we're stuck in a Dimensional Anchor zone. There is a chance, however, that we might be able to find a spot without that stuff.

DrMotives
2015-02-08, 02:01 AM
Lesser planar ally (Hollyphant) can do it at 7th. If you use the sacrifice rules from BoVD, that's doable at 1st level.

It may fit the mechanics as described, but you're seriously suggesting performing evil sacrificial rituals to summon a creature of goodness so it can raise dead for you? I can't see how that would fly.

Rakoa
2015-02-08, 02:52 AM
It may fit the mechanics as described, but you're seriously suggesting performing evil sacrificial rituals to summon a creature of goodness so it can raise dead for you? I can't see how that would fly.

Well, hey, when you're taking a spell like Raise Dead (5000 gp cost) and knocking it down to 300gp, we're already bending rules here. :P

P.F.
2015-02-08, 04:27 AM

And it requires that your deity select the Hollyphant for you. You can ask for a particular Hollyphant by name, but you might get a different creature anyway. If you don't have a deity the wording is somewhat more ambiguous, although it still doesn't say you get to choose; it's planar binding that lets the caster select the kind of creature to be called.

Now of course if your deity is of the very helpful sort, and knows what you have in mind, you could probably still get this effect. If you're using the BoVD to cast the spell, though, I can't imagine that's going to get a good-aligned deity 'in the mood' as it were.

Wacky89
2015-02-08, 06:09 AM
Gentle Repose within 1 round of the players death and buy Revivify npc casting. No level loss and very cheap only like 1450gp. (if lowest CL possible)

If it's been longer, you can buy npc casting of Revenance before revivify aswell

Darrin
2015-02-08, 06:54 AM
It may fit the mechanics as described, but you're seriously suggesting performing evil sacrificial rituals to summon a crBeature of goodness so it can raise dead for you? I can't see how that would fly.

Hollyphant, no. According to the rules, it has to be an evil outsider (Knowledge: Religion DC 30). Grab an efreet, 3 wishes, one of which can be raise dead, and you've got two left over for shenanigans (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=15634823&postcount=19).

JDL
2015-02-08, 06:56 AM
Reincarnate does it at CL 7th, if you don't mind possibly coming back as a Bugbear.

atemu1234
2015-02-08, 08:50 PM
Reincarnate does it at CL 7th, if you don't mind possibly coming back as a Bugbear.

On the bright side, with 00 you might be able to convince your DM to let you play an awesome race.

I once had a player roll that and I let his elf character become a Lesser Fey'ri. He appreciated the effort. And it turned the tide in the next fight.