PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Torture

Toilet Cobra
2015-02-07, 07:25 PM
I'm running the finale of a multi-session battle (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?394264-How-would-you-assault-this-city) tomorrow. One of the PC's, a hardy dwarf cavalier, has been captured by the enemy. After he refused to help them take the city, the enemy commander has decided to make an example of him. :smallamused:

The plan is to wheel him out just beyond an arrow's flight of the walls and lower an enormous bell over him. As the bell is struck, the vibrations of each ring will grow more and more powerful, deafening him, rupturing his blood vessels, and eventually killing him. I heard this was a real thing they did in some Asian cultures; I haven't been able to google up any proof of that but it sounds awesome and so it's real in my world.

My question is, how should I handle this in game, mechanically and story-wise? I've read up on torture in the BoVD, but the rules focus mostly on interrogation, and this is more of just an execution. I want it to take long enough that the players could conceivably mount a rescue (if they actually want to, they're kind of cowards) but also pose a real danger of death from bad rolls or just being left to die. I was thinking that for several rounds it is just uncomfortable for the dwarf, then he becomes deafened, and after that he has to Fort save with each toll of the bell or start to suffer mounting Con damage. But I'm worried that that will get out of hand too quickly. Any help statting out this thing would be much appreciated.

I'm also interested in hearing any advice on how to run this properly, as I've never really dealt with torture in a game before. My player is actually a really good sport (and a little morbid himself) so I plan to play it to the hilt, but I also don't want to go too far with it for the rest of the group. How do I avoid underselling it while not just grossing people out? How has torture cropped up in your games and how was/wasn't it handled right?

JDL
2015-02-07, 07:33 PM
I'd make it a straight DC 15 save to resist being deafened, as per the Thunderstone alchemical item. Once he fails that save, DC 15 each round to resist 1d6 points of nonlethal sonic damage. Once the nonlethal damage exceeds his current hit points it becomes lethal. Alternatively you can use the DC saves for performing a forced march, which is DC 10 +2 per extra save. This would probably take awhile compared to the DC 15 method, but gets far more lethal when they've failed half a dozen saves. If you're worried about the process taking too long, have the guards rough him up a bit beforehand so he starts with a decent amount of nonlethal damage already.

Flickerdart
2015-02-07, 07:34 PM
Constitution damage will be too quick - an arrow's flight is not exactly a short distance, so it will take a couple of minutes for them to even get there. I'd make it plain ol' sonic damage, maybe even non-lethal until he becomes disabled, and then lethal. Then every minute or so, make saves vs deafness, dazed, stunned, whatever. Permanent injuries such as perma-deafness should only be incurred after he falls unconscious from the damage.

Alternatively, have the enemy commander give a few demonstration whacks at the bell (with either the dwarf himself, a dummy, or a slave) to demonstrate its effectiveness after only a few minutes of ringing, and then offer the PCs to surrender in exchange for sparing the dwarf more of the same. Obviously, they'll want to use this for a rescue attempt.

Toilet Cobra
2015-02-07, 07:49 PM
JDL those mechanics are exactly what I needed, thank you! I think I will use your second DC, because I think the added time pressure will motivate the players to actually get up and do something quickly. I may pare it down to only +1 per save, though; they're still fairly low level and it wouldn't surprise me if these saves just became hopeless too quickly.

Alternatively, have the enemy commander give a few demonstration whacks at the bell (with either the dwarf himself, a dummy, or a slave) to demonstrate its effectiveness after only a few minutes of ringing, and then offer the PCs to surrender in exchange for sparing the dwarf more of the same. Obviously, they'll want to use this for a rescue attempt.

Excellent. I have some hapless halfling prisoners who will be happy to volunteer.

That was fast. Cheers guys, I have my scenario!