PDA

View Full Version : Spontaneous casting question [3.5]

questionmark693
2015-02-07, 10:05 PM
Say I'm playing a spontaneous caster. That caster gains a bonus to their ability score that grants bonus spells, but it only lasts a small amount of time. They then cast all of their spells they have slots for. Then the ability bonus goes away. They still have no slots left. But then, they gain that ability bonus again, and again gain bonus spell slots from a high ability score.Can they use those slots effectively a second time, since they are newly gained slots?

torrasque666
2015-02-07, 10:31 PM
if its from an effect like Eagle's Splendor, Owl's Wisdom, or Fox's Cunning, those all carry a rider stating that the increase doesn't provide bonus spells, even for Spontaneous Casters. I'm having difficulty remembering which other spells can potentially increase mental stats but given that these are the most basic format(and the psionic power Animal Adaption, which does pretty much the same thing) I'd likely make a ruling that temporary bonuses do not grant bonus spells.

balegar
2015-02-07, 10:31 PM
As far as I know the answer would be no. Spontaneous casters prepare all their spell slots at once is how I understand it.

torrasque666
2015-02-07, 10:38 PM
As far as I know the answer would be no. Spontaneous casters prepare all their spell slots at once is how I understand it.

False. Spontaneous casters do not prepare at all, other than picking their spells known. That's why they are called spontaneous casters vs wizards/clerics who are prepared​ casters.

questionmark693
2015-02-07, 10:41 PM
But if it was an Illumian with a specific sigil arrangement, and a bull's strength was what was used, that rider wouldn't apply. This is just a theoretical question, not brought on by a specific case, so I can't think of many examples, but I think that one would work

balegar
2015-02-07, 10:45 PM
Daily Readying of Spells: Each day, sorcerers and bards must focus their minds on the task of casting their spells. A sorcerer or bard needs 8 hours of rest (just like a wizard), after which he spends 15 minutes concentrating. (A bard must sing, recite, or play an instrument of some kind while concentrating.) During this period, the sorcerer or bard readies his mind to cast his daily allotment of spells. Without such a period to refresh himself, the character does not regain the spell slots he used up the day before.

Phb 179

Troacctid
2015-02-07, 10:47 PM
You can normally cast X 3rd level spells per day. You temporarily gain a bonus 3rd level spell per day. Now you can cast X+1 of them. So you cast the extra spell along with all your original spells, and the duration runs out. You've cast X+1 3rd level spells. Then you get a new temporary bonus, once again raising your limit to X+1--except you've already cast X+1 today, so you are maxed out.

I think there is a clause somewhere that says you can't gain bonus spells this way, so the whole issue would be moot. However, this is how temporary boosts interact with other abilities that have variable daily limits, e.g. turn undead + eagle's splendor.

balegar
2015-02-07, 10:49 PM
I guess I should have said ready opposed to prepare.

KillianHawkeye
2015-02-07, 10:57 PM
Yeah, gaining a boost to your casting stat does nothing for a spontaneous caster after you've already refreshed their daily allotment of spell slots, just like it doesn't help a prepared caster after they've already prepared their spells for the day.

Requiem_Jeer
2015-02-07, 11:40 PM
However, hypothetically, if one were to have a bonus to their casting stat while they prepared/readied their spells for that day, the whole time, you would get bonus spells. However, they would go away the moment it expired, much like casting ray of stupidity on a wizard.

NecessaryWeevil
2015-02-08, 12:44 AM
However, hypothetically, if one were to have a bonus to their casting stat while they prepared/readied their spells for that day, the whole time, you would get bonus spells. However, they would go away the moment it expired, much like casting ray of stupidity on a wizard.

Unless the bonus was from Eagle's Splendour or similar, because, again, the spell explicitly says its stat increase doesn't provide bonus spells.

Most games I've played in only allow such an increase to spells if it's a continuous effect, eg. from a stat-boosting item, and you've been wearing it for a while.