PDA

View Full Version : Original System Homebrewing a TRPG System

Thrathgnar
2015-02-08, 12:53 AM
Hey everyone, I am starting on a RPG system, based around concepts similar to Infamous, Naruto, and Avatar type combat. It will follow closely to DnD 5e as far as basic mechanics go, with a few minor tweaks.

The basics of the world, for a little background, is that there are people born with elemental powers, and they are discriminated against by humans, who develop ways to fight them. These people with powers (haven't come up with a term for them) form factions, good and bad, as do the humans.

Here is how I'm planning the system. Players can choose to have a power or be a normal human relying on technology. Instead of experience based leveling, a power based player "levels up" by interacting with a special object that has a one time use while humans "level up" by acquiring/becoming compatible with new technology. Each class will have a skill tree, and each level up will allow a player to select one or multiple skills from the tree, giving them choices on how to progress.

At a certain point, elemental players can choose a second element, and later on combine their elements into a new one. For example: fire and water could make steam, or water and wind can make storm, or earth and lightning could make magnetism.

Obviously there is a lot more fleshing out to do, and I have a few months to work on it. I just figured I'd post here and see what you guys think. I'm more focused on having fun than game balance, but of course I would like it to be as balanced as possible.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-02-08, 01:07 AM
So, basically, it's a couple homebrew classes (say one for each element and a warrior/rogue/mage trio for the tech users) and an alternate leveling mechanism? Seems easy enough. Balance ought to be... well, not easy, since it sounds like you want all the classes to be selecting abilities from a list (essentially), but that sort of basic mechanism, combined with the "everyone gets weird powers" means you'll avoid the linear warriors/quadratic wizards problem quite nicely.

Thrathgnar
2015-02-08, 01:14 AM
So, basically, it's a couple homebrew classes (say one for each element and a warrior/rogue/mage trio for the tech users) and an alternate leveling mechanism? Seems easy enough. Balance ought to be... well, not easy, since it sounds like you want all the classes to be selecting abilities from a list (essentially), but that sort of basic mechanism, combined with the "everyone gets weird powers" means you'll avoid the linear warriors/quadratic wizards problem quite nicely.

Basically. I'll probably lift some spells from d&d 5e and have damage amounts similar to what they have for different spell levels. The hard part would be factoring in use limits like a mana count or something. Also I don't really have much for the humans right now, I know their classes will be tech based