PDA

View Full Version : The Rumbling Roe (With Bonus)[MitP II]

ArmorArmadillo
2007-04-05, 03:43 PM
Inspired by Japanese Mythology, a new character concept, and my new love of Mississippi cooking:

Catfish King
Gargantuan Magical Beast (Aquatic, Earth, Water)
12d10+84 (hp 150)
Speed Swim 40 ft. (8 squares); Burrow 10 ft. (2 squares)
Init +1
AC 31; touch 7; flat-footed 30
(+24 Natural, +1 Dex, -4 Size)
BAB +12; Grp +25
Attack Tail Slam +21 (3d8+13/x2) or Bite +21 (2d8+6/x2)
Full-Attack Tail Slam +21 (3d8+13/x2) and Bite +16 (2d8+6/x2)
Space 20 ft.; Reach 15 ft.
Special Attacks Improved Grab (Bite)
Special Qualities Darkvision 60 Ft., Low-Light Vision, Spell Like Abilities

Saves Fort +15 Ref +9 Will +9
Abilities Str 36, Dex 13, Con 25, Int 5, Wis 16, Cha 11
Skills Concentrate +10, Listen +9, Spot +9, Swim +21
Feats Awesome Blow, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Natural Weapon (Tail Slam), Iron Will, Power Attack
Environment Forested Aquatic
Organization Solitary
Challenge Rating 13
Treasure No Gold; Triple Gems; No Art; No Magical Items
Alignment Always Neutral
Advancement 12-16 (Gargantuan)
Level Adjustment -
Spell Like Abilities At Will-soften earth and stone; 1/Hour-earthquake (DC 24), control weather; Save DCs are Constitution Based

Only one Catfish King exists, and certain primitive tribes believe him to be the source of the worlds earthquakes. It lives deep within a forested lake, and punishes towns that fail to give him tribute with powerful quakes that can level their homes entirely.

Although it has no use for gold, he does demand food and veneration from townsfolk. Additionally, the seismic forces it creates loosen the ground beneath him, bringing many gems and minerals of great value around his home.

Also; Bonus material, a new Totemist Soulmeld;
(Warning, non-OGL)
Catish Greaves
Totemist
Chakras: Feet (Totem)
Channeling the mighty power of the Catfish King, a stream of iradescent blue takes form around your legs, and you feel your legs flow with stability and strength.
Catfish Greaves give you a +4 bonus to Swim and Balance checks.
Essentia: Each point of Essentia you invest in this soulmeld grants you an additional +2 to Swim and Balance checks.
Feet Chakra Bind
Your greaves twirl down your leg, taking a rough and fishlike appearance. They ripple with earthshaking power.
As a full-round action, you may make a mighty stomp that shakes the earth around you. This action deals 1d4 damage to all creatures, other than the Totemist, within 5 ft. per point of Essentia invested, with a successful Reflex save halving this damage. Additionally, all creatures failing their save fall prone.
Essentia: Each point of Essentia you invest in this soulmeld increases the damage dealt by your stomp by an additional 1d4.
Totem Chakra Bind
Whiskery growths seem to flow backward from your greaves as you bind them to your totem chakra. You feel an interesting affinity with the ground beneath you.
You gain Tremorsense within a radius of 10 Ft.
Essentia: Each point of Essentia you invest in this soulmeld increases the radius of your Tremorsense by 5 ft.

Icewalker
2007-04-05, 04:19 PM
I dunno, kinda wierd.

How can it have advancement if there is only one of im?

First things that came to my mind were too much attack damage and way too high of a strength score. However if it is a special creature, then maybe. The burrow speed is a little funky as well I think.

The BAB is wrong. BABs for creatures follow normal BABs like classes, if it has 12 HD, if it's got best BAB it'd have +12. Magical beasts use best BAB.

According to your skills, it has a total of 23 ranks in place (assuming those numbers are already modified by attributes). Magical Beasts use 2 w/ int. I'm not sure whether it is allowed to reach 0 skill points, but if it isn't he'd have 15. This is breakable however, as he is a unique beast, so I can see increased skill points.

You can fix most of these by upping the HD, I think. I dunno, I personally find it to be quite a good idea, but these stats here seem a bit wierd.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-04-06, 11:18 AM
I dunno, kinda wierd.

How can it have advancement if there is only one of im?

First things that came to my mind were too much attack damage and way too high of a strength score. However if it is a special creature, then maybe. The burrow speed is a little funky as well I think.

The BAB is wrong. BABs for creatures follow normal BABs like classes, if it has 12 HD, if it's got best BAB it'd have +12. Magical beasts use best BAB.

According to your skills, it has a total of 23 ranks in place (assuming those numbers are already modified by attributes). Magical Beasts use 2 w/ int. I'm not sure whether it is allowed to reach 0 skill points, but if it isn't he'd have 15. This is breakable however, as he is a unique beast, so I can see increased skill points.

You can fix most of these by upping the HD, I think. I dunno, I personally find it to be quite a good idea, but these stats here seem a bit wierd.
I fixed the BAB, it was a typo back from when I had the HD at 15.
As for the stats; Being Gargantuan gives you +24 to Strength and +12 to Constitution; past that I only used the basic stats with an additional bonus to Wis and Dex (It's a fish, and a beast after all) (13,12,11,10,9,8) (CHA was a little high, so I fixed that.

As for the skills; Having a swim speed adds a +8 on Swim checks.
Past that, he has 3 ranks in Concentration, and 6 ranks each in Spot and Listen. This totals 15, which is 4 for 1st HD + 11 (minimum is one per HD (x4 at level 1)

Advancement is there because, even though there is one, the DM can still up his CR for the fight with the party.

Umarth
2007-04-06, 11:22 AM
I like it. Intresting creature and would make for some fun flavor in a campaign world.

Icewalker
2007-04-06, 02:57 PM
Ah, didn't know about those stat increases by size, that makes a bit more sense.

Cool, I like it.

Matthew
2007-04-06, 09:36 PM
I would like to see some more fluff for this.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-05-11, 02:14 PM
Bump. Keep voting, people!

DracoDei
2007-05-18, 08:32 PM
Where is the Mudslide spell from? Is it copy-right acceptable?

Zherog
2007-05-21, 12:31 PM
Comments and such; I haven't read the feedback from others, to avoid being influenced by it.

Speed Swim 40 ft. (8 squares); Burrow 10 ft. (2 squares

You're missing your right Paren. :)

Attack Tail Slam +25 (3d8+13/x2) or Bite +25 (2d8+6/x2)
Full-Attack Tail Slam +25 (3d8+13/x2) and Bite +20 (2d8+6/x2)

These don't need to be italicized. Or, more correctly, these shouldn't be italicized.

Also, it looks like you missed the size penalty to attack rolls. Primary attacks should be 21 (+12 BAB, -4 size, +13 Str); secondary attacks should be +16.

Spell Like Abilities At Will-Soften Earth and Stone; 1/Hour-Earthquake (DC 24), Mudslide (DC 23); Save DCs are Constitution Based

These should be down where you describe special abilities.

What's the caster level?

Where is the spell mudslide from?

Spell names should be italicized. Spell names are not capitalized.

Skills Swim +21, Concentrate +10, Spot +9, Listen +9
Feats Improved Natural Weapon (Tail Slam), Iron Will, Power Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Awesome Blow

These should both be in alphabetical order.

Alignment Always Neutral

This seems to be a common rant for me. Why are they always neutral? They have the ability to make some decisions, as dictated by their above-animal Intelligence. Now, since there's only one of these things ever you get a little more slack when telling me its alignment than if it were just another magical beast. But, your flavor text needs to make me understand that it's neutral.

Only one Catfish King exists, and certain primitive tribes believe him to be the source of the worlds earthquakes. It lives deep within a forested lake, and punishes towns that fail to give him tribute with powerful quakes that can level their homes entirely.

Creature names should be lowercase.

Also; Bonus material, a new Totemist Soulmeld;

>>Snippy McSnip Was Here!!<<

This stuff is all non-OGL compliant and would need to be excluded from your entry. I think that was the intention, since you included it afterwards. But I just want to be sure.

Solid creature, though I wonder how often it'll get used by GMs, to be honest.

ArmorArmadillo
2007-05-21, 01:13 PM
Comments and such; I haven't read the feedback from others, to avoid being influenced by it.

<Snip>

Solid creature, though I wonder how often it'll get used by GMs, to be honest.
I fixed a lot of the typos, thanks for the heads up.
Mudslide was from Stormwrack, and I realized that I should switch it out to make it OGL.
I've made a not on the soulmeld about it being seperate. It's unfortunate that it's non-OGL, because it's one of the cooler systems out there, and it's a shame nothing else is being made for it.

As for the Always Neutral, being a Unique monster, I felt a little bit better about going "Always" instead of usually. Also, being a magical beast, it should tend toward Neutral.

I agree it isn't a really widely usable monster, but I think it does have a certain quirky charm to make at viable, and also the cultural connection.