PDA

View Full Version : Asian-styled High Fantasy games

Yora
2015-02-08, 03:45 AM
I am interested in games that have an Asian-influenced style while not being Japan or China with a slightly different name (or just being outright Japan or China), but being true fantasy worlds with plenty of monsters and magic.
I guess Legend of the Five Rings would count, but I already know that one. Are there any others?

TheThan
2015-02-08, 03:52 AM
Wizards of the coast put out a campaign setting called Mahasarpa, it was based I believe on India, it was a free web enhancement with the 3.0 oriental adventures setting. You used to be able to download it off their website but I don’t think it’s supported any more. I dunno if that’s Asian enough for you, but it was interesting at the least.

Yora
2015-02-08, 04:00 AM
I believe it was mostly reflavoring of character classes and slightly changed monster lists.

TheThan
2015-02-08, 04:59 PM
I believe it was mostly reflavoring of character classes and slightly changed monster lists.

Maybe, I only gave it a curtsy glance and that was years ago.

Brother Oni
2015-02-08, 05:28 PM
Exalted maybe?

TheThan
2015-02-08, 05:50 PM
If you look in D&D 3.5 there’s plenty of Asian themed classes and stuff floating around splat books.

Off the top of my head there are monks, ninja, Wu Jen, Shugenja, samurai for base classes, not to mention PRCs like the ronin, Kensai, Ghost faced killer, enlightened fist, and Void disciple. Then there are a few weapons scattered about, Lajatang, mancatchers etc. Combined with some of the more useful stuff in Oriental adventures, it wouldn’t be too hard to put an Asian themed setting together.

It would really depend on what sort of Asian setting you want. Japanese inspired seems to be the easiest to do; if you want to run a wuxia game then you might have to come up with something else. But really, making people fly isn’t too hard in D&D.

edit
if you refluff tome of battle, then you can actually give your characters special attacks, suddenly your crusader samurai can do really cool stuff with his sword.

Arbane
2015-02-08, 07:41 PM
I am interested in games that have an Asian-influenced style while not being Japan or China with a slightly different name (or just being outright Japan or China), but being true fantasy worlds with plenty of monsters and magic.
I guess Legend of the Five Rings would count, but I already know that one. Are there any others?

Tenra Bansho Zero is a Japanese tabletop RPG with cyborg mikos and oni mecha pilots, set on another planet.

Anima Beyond Fantasy seemed pretty anime-influenced to me, and I'm pretty sure it's a fantasy world.

TheThan
2015-02-08, 10:17 PM
Tenra Bansho Zero is a Japanese tabletop RPG with cyborg mikos and oni mecha pilots, set on another planet.

Anima Beyond Fantasy seemed pretty anime-influenced to me, and I'm pretty sure it's a fantasy world.

Anime does not have to actually be Asian to still be anime. Anime is Japanese animation; it can be of any genre. It can have influences from just about anywhere, therefore anime is not necessarily Asian or be influence by Asian influences.