PDA

View Full Version : Ice Elemental?

Mr.Kraken
2015-02-08, 07:41 AM
Are there stats for an ice elemental? Where can I find them?

Andion Isurand
2015-02-08, 07:47 AM
Manual of the Planes, starting on page 180.

3.5 update for that book can be found here....
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a
and the errata can be found here...
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/errata

Zombimode
2015-02-08, 07:49 AM
They are in the Manual of the Planes as one of the paraelementals. Manual of the Planes is 3.0, but there is an update supplement to bring the creatures stats up to 3.5

Mr.Kraken
2015-02-08, 08:01 AM
Thank you. Can they be summoned via Summon monster?

Milo v3
2015-02-08, 08:01 AM
Pathfinder also has stats for them (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/additionalMonsters/elemental.html), if your playing with pathfinder material.

afroakuma
2015-02-08, 08:07 AM
Thank you. Can they be summoned via Summon monster?

They're not on the list, but there's no reason you can't swap one in for an equivalent.

atemu1234
2015-02-08, 08:42 PM
They're not on the list, but there's no reason you can't swap one in for an equivalent.

Yeah, I never got why Summon Monster wasn't simply "Summon Outsider or Elemental based on CR" as opposed to "3-4 pages of lists, not to mention a whole bunch of switching as of other Monster Manuals".

RedWarlock
2015-02-08, 09:50 PM
Yeah, I never got why Summon Monster wasn't simply "Summon Outsider or Elemental based on CR" as opposed to "3-4 pages of lists, not to mention a whole bunch of switching as of other Monster Manuals".
Because if you did, one spell (per level) would increase in power for every new monster published. In theory, the swapping is supposed to limit the caster to a fixed set of monsters that can't be adjusted to fit to any and all possible advantages. (in practice, not always the case, but they're trying..) Not helped by the fact that some DMs just skip the swapping part and say go for it.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-02-08, 09:53 PM

Dragon #347 was all about paraelementals are put forth that whenever you could summon an elemental you can summon the equivalent paraelemental.

Zanos
2015-02-08, 10:01 PM
Because if you did, one spell (per level) would increase in power for every new monster published. In theory, the swapping is supposed to limit the caster to a fixed set of monsters that can't be adjusted to fit to any and all possible advantages. (in practice, not always the case, but they're trying..) Not helped by the fact that some DMs just skip the swapping part and say go for it.
They didn't really seem to care when that happened with every transmutation that changes your form, or for planar binding spells.

Mr.Kraken
2015-02-09, 03:32 AM

I like this idea a lot. It would make adapting to character fluff much easier. Say, you want to make a lawful neutral wizard, you could summon all of the inevitables to aid you at a given time. Or you're a servant of Ghaunadaur, you could summon Ooze elementals or any other slime-like outsidder/elemental.

Are there any rules on this? Be it official, 3rd party or homebrew, I'm interested to see how this would work.

RedWarlock
2015-02-09, 08:35 PM
They didn't really seem to care when that happened with every transmutation that changes your form, or for planar binding spells.

Like I said, they were trying...