PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Path of War question (counters)

JohnStone
2015-02-08, 08:13 AM
some of the manuevers in path of war are considered counters. Half-gone, Counter step are immediate actions that allow a chance to avoid an attack. I have a pretty high AC would this be a second chance after the AC check or would i have to use these to replace it?

Andreaz
2015-02-08, 08:40 AM
Generally they have to be used before the attack is resolved. If the counter does not say the specifics, it's before the attack's rolled, substituting your AC instead of helping.

Alex12
2015-02-08, 08:49 AM
Sorta-yes, sorta-no.
They don't give you a second chance, they give you a first chance. You use the maneuver before the attack roll, resolve the maneuver, then the attack resolves (if possible)
Counter Step has you make your Acrobatics check, and if you succeed, you move. If your Acrobatics fails, then that attack roll resolves normally against your AC. If your Acrobatics succeeds, then the attacker spend an attack on empty air.
Half-Gone, you do your opposed skill checks first, and if you succeed, the attack resolves as if you are incorporeal, but is otherwise unaffected. So if it's a ghost touch weapon, It'll still be going against your AC.
Disregard this, I was wrong.

deuxhero
2015-02-08, 03:30 PM
Note that many counters, especially once you hit mid levels, can be used against forms of attacks that your AC doesn't do anything against (Most prominently spells)

Fenryr
2015-02-08, 11:34 PM
Is there any source or citation 'bout that? In our group we use the counters after learning the result but before damage/condition is rolled.

Alex12
2015-02-09, 06:24 AM
Is there any source or citation 'bout that? In our group we use the counters after learning the result but before damage/condition is rolled.

Huh. Going back through, I see I was wrong, based on the "critical hit vs counter" sidebar that says you can't use a counter against an attack roll that got a natural 20. Which indicates that it's rolled and then you choose. That seems a little nonsensical, but there you go. I was wrong.