PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Warlock Invocation Questions

Kesnit
2015-02-08, 08:31 AM
Two questions came up with a Barbarian/Warlock in the game I am running

1) Do Eldritch Claws do touch attacks? I assume so, since you are turning your EB into the claws, but the feat does not actually say.

2) The PC has Sudden Swarm from Drow of the Underdark. The power says the "swarm has the same statistics as a normal spider swarm (MM 239), except that you add your warlocklevel to its hit points and the save DC for its poison." When the PC used the power, another player said that had to be a typo, and it is supposed to be "add half your warlock level." ("Else you'd get DCs into the 30s!" My thought was "at that level, the enemies are going to have base saves high enough to make a DC 31," but didn't say anything.) I let the written power stand, but said I would look into it. Was there an errata that changed Sudden Swarm to half Warlock level, or is the power written correctly?

Deophaun
2015-02-08, 09:29 AM
1) No. Eldritch claws give you claw attacks. That's all. These follow the rules for normal natural attacks.

2) It may be a typo, but I don't think there's any errata for DotU. But you're right: even with a high DC, it's not particularly powerful compared to other available choices.

Troacctid
2015-02-08, 01:41 PM
It's not a typo. Spider poison has a crappy DC. Without the boost it would simply be irrelevant.

Necroticplague
2015-02-08, 04:38 PM
1)Nope, they're normal claw attacks. The only way they are in any way related to EB is that they use your EB damage as part of their damage calculation, and you can't use EB when they're out.

2)Nope, no typo here. Spider poison has a really low DC, adding your level to it just means is isn't completely worthless. By the time you have DCs in the 30s, you fight opponents with either immunity to either the poison itself, its effects, or who have FORT saves in the low-to-mid 20s. Errata never touched it.