PDA

View Full Version : New beginnings

Pages : [1] 2 3

andrewmarvell
2015-02-08, 02:59 PM
Tatín curses as the rain begins.

"Not like it was unexpected," Teppo says, smiling. "Get everything together and let's go."

Lillibritches
2015-02-08, 03:07 PM
Silic pops the last bit of Tatin’s savory lunch into his mouth and walks over to Charlie, patting the mule between the ears and retrieving a leather poncho from his saddlebag. He slips it over his head, leaving the hood down - still just a light drizzle, for now - and takes a quick draw from his wineskin.

He slides alongside Tatin, offering the serious-looking guard the uncorked skin with a small nod. Thank you for preparing lunch. It was very nourishing. Silic scans his fellow travelers, then tilts his head up, feeling rivulets run down his crystals and face.

hickmala
2015-02-08, 03:15 PM
Tamarie sits sharpening her crossbow bolts. Yes, thank you. It was delicious. she says.

She pours some water from her waterskin into a bowl for Edwyn, then packs up her mess kit and tightens the straps on Edwyn's saddle.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-08, 03:20 PM
The guard looks at the odd stone man and the elven woman and barely nods in acknowledgment before loading up the rest of the mess kit with preternatural speed.

In moments, Lorens, Teppo and the two guards are ready. The wagon begins rolling along on the newly muddy path through the jungle.

CarolynGX
2015-02-08, 03:20 PM
Iramour puts on her hood Thank you

She makes eye contact with Tatin and then averts her eyes, and focuses on packing up her kit.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-08, 03:33 PM
As the party gets back under way, you all fall into somewhat natural positions in the caravan. Wygar rides up front, followed by Lorens driving the wagon. Teppo rides near Lorens, with Tatín bringing up the rear. Silic follows, with Twitch close behind him, and then Iramour and finally Tamarie.

The rain is steady.

Something falls on you from the trees above.

Lillibritches
2015-02-08, 03:41 PM
Silic feels a slight weight land unevenly across head - with a quick flick of his left wrist he attempts to fling whatever fallen creature it is into the underbrush along side the road with a light touch.

Acrobatics roll [roll0]

RussianRoulette
2015-02-08, 03:45 PM
Twitch was restless. Sitting still for so long was hard enough, but the rain was coming down in an obnoxious drizzle, nicking his exposed furry muzzle repeatedly and making his whiskers tingle. He glanced forward from his place at the back of the wagon. The fat redheaded coachman was not entirely unlike a glistening ham in the drizzle. Twitch licked his nose.

The silence was broken by one of his travelling companions, a stumpy Oread gleaming with purple gemstones, thanking the guard Tatin for some mystery meat and forest mushrooms.

Twitch rolled his eyes. His own helping sat untouched to his left, slowly going cold.
How can anyone eat this fungi-invested garb-

The female half-elf and Assimar cut his thought short with a quick succession of similar thanks to Tatin.

Titch did a quick once over of the cloaked man, eyeing his dark armor and sinister weaponry.

Yeah, Thanks

Twitch winced slightly as his stomach rumbled. He pulled his hooded explorers robes around him tighter as mud began to spray up from the newly rolling wagon wheels.

His eyes shifted back to the Oread's donkey alongside the coach. I bet that thing tastes like chicken...

andrewmarvell
2015-02-08, 03:56 PM
With surprising deftness for a man made of rock, Silic reaches to his head and, in a single motion, grabs the snake that fell on him and flings it wildly into the trees. It sails far from the path and disappears before it even hits the ground.

Even though Silic acted swiftly, your extensive knowledge of nature allowed you to identify the snake as a particularly poisonous breed in the short timee you saw it flying through the air.

Lillibritches
2015-02-08, 03:57 PM
Goodbye, friend.

hickmala
2015-02-08, 04:02 PM
That snake was poisonous.

Are you alright, Silic? Did it bite you? Tamarie asks.

Lillibritches
2015-02-08, 04:05 PM
Thank you for your concern, but it was probably more surprised than I was. It might well have broken its fangs on me if it had tried anything. He raps his knuckles against his head.

RussianRoulette
2015-02-08, 04:09 PM
It was prolly tastey, too

A dejected (but hopeful) Twitch scans the canopy for activity.

hickmala
2015-02-08, 04:09 PM
Ok, good, she says.

She loads a bolt into her crossbow.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-08, 04:18 PM
Tatín turns around on his horse and asks, "What are you all jabbering about?"

Before anyone can respond, the wagon grinds to a halt. "S---," Lorens says. Tatín points to a rear wheel, sunk in a muddy rut. "I think I've found the problem," he says.

Lorens climbs off the wagon and Teppo dismounts from his horse. They examine the wheel and Teppo whistles with something like resignation before speaking. "Well, let's dig it out. Shouldn't take too long. You four -" he says, indicating Silic, Twitch, Iramour and Tamarie, "- go on ahead a bit and see if you can find a clearing or somewhere we can set up camp for the night. We'll tie your mules to the back of the wagon and bring them along. We've still got a lot of daylight, but don't go too far ahead of us. When you find something, wait for us. Any questions?"

RussianRoulette
2015-02-08, 04:21 PM
FINALLY

Twitch hops off the carriage platform, not waiting to be told twice.

Some action. Let's go check it out everyone, I once found a dead body under a bridge. I think I know EXACTLY what we're looking for.

He eagerly jumps to the front of the path, ready to take point.

Lillibritches
2015-02-08, 04:25 PM
Silic ties Charlie to the back of the wagon and sneaks the mule a treat. He straps one of the casks and his tent across his back with a length of rope. Be good boy, we will see you soon. He eyes the rat. Tamarie seems to know the wildlife well, let her give you a hand scouting too.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-08, 04:27 PM
Teppo chuckles at the little rat. "Don't get too eager, boy, alright? It's dangerous out there. Stay on your toes."

hickmala
2015-02-08, 04:29 PM
Twitch, calm down. If you can. There's a place we can set up camp about 2 miles south on this same trail. There's no need to split up. Like Teppo said, we're traveling together for a reason. I'll follow the group.

CarolynGX
2015-02-08, 04:31 PM
First the rain, now this...

Iramour joins the group, chuckling at how Teppo handled the rat. I'll help if I can

RussianRoulette
2015-02-08, 04:40 PM
Point taken, everyone calm down. I'm always careful anyways.

Twitch pulls out his shortbow from his pack and adjusts his sleeves slightly. He readies himself.

Alright. Let's go do EVERYTHING YOU ALL WANNA DO. Just kidding...kind of. And look out for puke cause my stomach is super empty and upset. OK!

He begins walking forward up the path, staying close to the right side shrubbery and avoiding the muddiest parts of the path.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-08, 04:41 PM
As you begin to walk south, Lorens yells, "Good luck! See you shortly, I hope."

Twitch, eager for adventure, walks ahead of Silic. Iramour hangs back a bit, and Tamarie brings up the rear. The rain falls slightly faster now, and the heat and humidity weigh on you. After about an hour, you all seem to hear something moving among the trees, though you're unable to see what exactly it might be. After a couple of minutes, it becomes evident that whatever is in there is probably tracking you.

RussianRoulette
2015-02-08, 04:49 PM
perception check: [roll0]

Lillibritches
2015-02-08, 04:49 PM
Silic closes his eyes and breathes deeply, connecting with the earth as few creatures can. Vibrations ripple through the ground and his body.

Activate Earthsense as swift action; gain tremorsense of 60 ft radius. 1/1 daily uses used.

CarolynGX
2015-02-08, 04:53 PM
perception check [roll0]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-08, 04:59 PM
Through the vibrations of the earth, you sense three creatures in the jungle. They are clustered together to the right of the road, approximately 30 feet away from your current position. They appear to be moving toward you.

You can still hear movement in the underbrush, and occasionally you think you spot glimpses of something in there, but whatever it is remains well-hidden.

You can still hear movement in the underbrush, and occasionally you think you spot glimpses of something in there, but whatever it is remains well-hidden.

Lillibritches
2015-02-08, 05:01 PM
The monk opens his eyes and calls out quietly to the group.

Stop! We are not alone. There are three creatures coming towards us together from the jungle. Ready yourselves.

He draws two shurikens from his belt and leans back on one leg, facing the jungle to the right side of the road.

hickmala
2015-02-08, 05:13 PM
Climb check: [roll0]

CarolynGX
2015-02-08, 05:16 PM
Iramour turns to face the movement in the underbrush on the left side of the road, shoulder-to-shoulder with the monk.

I'm ready.

RussianRoulette
2015-02-08, 05:16 PM
Twitch dives. The Oread's concerned words were all he needed.

He attempts to roll behind a nearby tree to the right while holding onto his shortbow, cutting off visibility and trying to get out of sight. He eyes the tree tops.

Whoever they are, I would rather meet them on my terms

Twitch attempts to roll to the tree quickly [roll0]
Twitch attempts to vanish behind the tree[roll1]
Twitch attempts to climb the hidden side of the tree to the canopy with his shortbow[roll2]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-08, 05:17 PM
Tamarie, hearing the monk speak, quickly and skillfully scrambles up a tree on the left side of the road, opposite where the mysterious creatures are coming from.

hickmala
2015-02-08, 05:22 PM
Tamarie uses a rope to anchor herself to a branch, about 15 feet above the ground. She readies her crossbow.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-08, 05:23 PM
Twitch also makes a move to a nearby tree, rolling gracefully to get there. He attempts to hide, though the creatures likely still know his general location. As he attempts to climb the tree, he loses his grip against the wet bark and falls a good five feet back to earth. He's unhurt except for his bruised ego.

RussianRoulette
2015-02-08, 05:27 PM
Twitch opens his eyes, staring straight up towards the canopy from his back, trying to recover his breath after having his wind knocked out in the fall. He rolls over and pukes.

Flawless

andrewmarvell
2015-02-08, 05:34 PM
As Twitch picks himself up after vomiting, three wolves emerge from the undergrowth. These wolves look slightly strange, as their fur is mottled with green and blue that almost seems like algae. The largest wolf appears approximately 15 feet from Silic, with a smaller one behind it and another to its left. The large wolf looks quickly at the members of the party, and snarls. The two smaller wolves growl and they all begin to slink forward.

Big wolf (wolf 1) [roll0]
Wolf 2 [roll1]
Wolf 3 [roll2]
Tamarie [roll3]
Silic [roll4]
Iramour [roll5]
Twitch [roll6]

RussianRoulette
2015-02-08, 05:47 PM
Oh what the f---

Twitch makes a quick stride to get behind Silic. He notches an arrow and targets the biggest wolf.

These things don't look friendly. I'm not going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

[roll0] and [roll1]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-08, 05:53 PM
Twitch's arrow flies true and strikes the biggest wolf in the chest. The animal grunts in pain, but continues moving toward the party, the arrow still stuck between its front legs.

CarolynGX
2015-02-08, 06:06 PM
Iramour turns slightly to face the largest wolf. She's intrigued by their mottled fur.

But I can inspect it more closely when they are dead.

Iramour stretches out her hands, eyes focused on her target. A ray of ice and frost projects from her index finger.

firing [roll0]

CarolynGX
2015-02-08, 06:10 PM
damage [roll0]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-08, 06:15 PM
Iramour whispers an incantation and moves her hand precisely, a dazzling blue ray emanating from her finger and striking the largest wolf, which stumbles slightly from the blow.

Lillibritches
2015-02-08, 06:16 PM
Silic locks eyes with the large wolf in front and, sensing its building rage, takes a powering step forward and flings both shurikens in it's direction with one quick throw.

5-ft step forward to get within 10 ft of wolves (to avoid atk penalty)

Shuriken 1:
atk [roll0]
dmg [roll1]

Shuriken 2:
atk [roll2]
dmg [roll3]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-08, 06:23 PM
As Silic flings his shuriken, the big wolf attempts to leap out of their way but can't avoid the sharpened blades. They strike the wolf's leg and neck simultaneously. The animal falls to the ground, slamming into the mud. Blood soaks the path.

The big wolf is dead. Two left!

hickmala
2015-02-08, 06:28 PM
Tamarie watches the big wolf falls to the ground, aims at the next wolf, and fires.

1d20+5+2+2

[roll0]

hickmala
2015-02-08, 06:31 PM
Dammit.

1d20+9

hickmala
2015-02-08, 06:34 PM
Guuuuuhhhh

[roll0]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-08, 06:41 PM
The half-elf, perched high within her tree, expertly fires her crossbow at the closest wolf, the one just beyond the sorcerer. The bolt embeds itself in the wolf's side, just behind its front leg left. It yowls in pain and turns its head back to attempt to bite the bolt. Failing to remove it, it turns back and stares at Silic.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-08, 07:22 PM
The wolf, its mouth now bloody from the botched bolt removal, suddenly rushes at the stone monk. It covers the distance in no time, quickly bounding forth. It stops just short of Silic and lunges at his right leg, its jaws snapping ferociously.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll]1d6+1

andrewmarvell
2015-02-08, 07:23 PM
I messed up the damage roll :(

[roll0]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-08, 07:37 PM
The wolf's bite connects with Silic's leg. The Oread's skin makes an unsettling scraping noise against the wolf's teeth. It shakes its head while biting and purple blood droplets fly. The wolf releases and snarls, its lips curling.

The other remaining wolf, emboldened by its companion's successful attack, runs from its position on the edge of the jungle to Iramour, standing beside Silic. It pounces at the Aasimar, chomping at her left leg.

Damage: [roll1]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-08, 07:39 PM
The second wolf latches onto Iramour's leg much like the first did to Silic. It takes a decent chuck of flesh from her calf, tearing her pants in the process.

RussianRoulette
2015-02-08, 08:05 PM
Twitch nearly recoiled in horror as the lunging wolves ripped into his comrades.

Nearly.

Quickly shuffling further towards Silic's attacker, he notches another arrow and lets fly at the wolf latched to Iramour's leg.

to hit: 1d20+1
damage [roll0]

RussianRoulette
2015-02-08, 08:07 PM
To hit: [roll0]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-08, 08:12 PM
Perhaps slightly shaken by the viciousness of the wolves' attacks, Twitch's air flies just over the head of the wolf. The canine's ears perk up as it whistles past.

CarolynGX
2015-02-08, 08:23 PM
Shifting her weight to her good leg, Iramour channels her adrenaline into her next spell. She begins the incantation as tiny drops of ice fall from her hands.

ray of frost attack [roll0] damage [roll1]

and this is for my pants!

shocking grasp attack [roll2] damage [roll3]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-08, 08:31 PM
Iramour, with great concentration, summons another icy ray from her finger. It just misses the wolf in front of her, but she is not deterred. To avenge her torn pants, and make up for her near-hit, Iramour reaches out her hand and touches the wolf on the shoulder. Electricity shoots from her fingertips, traveling over the wolf's body in waves. It yelps in response and looks as confused as a wolf can look.

Lillibritches
2015-02-08, 08:32 PM
Arrrrrrrrghhh!

The monk cries out in pain, but quickly refocuses all his attention on the wolf directly ahead of him. He spins around, bringing his right knee towards the animal's jaw and kicking his good leg into the creature's stomach with all his might.

Unarmed strike 1
atk [roll0]
dmg [roll1]

Unarmed strike 2
atk [roll2]
dmg [roll3]

Lillibritches
2015-02-08, 08:35 PM
FOR THE DEATH PUNCH

[roll0]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-08, 08:41 PM
Silic, with great focus in spite of his injury, kicks the wolf in front of him with such force that the animal flies back and hits a tree, clearly dead. Spinning and continuing the movement of the first kick, he smashes his other leg into the face of the lone remaining wolf. Its skull collapses with a gruesome, wet sucking sound, and its corpse drops to the ground.

Lillibritches
2015-02-08, 08:44 PM
Silic stands still for a beat, then withdraws a flask from his pocket and pulls deeply.

Good dog.

hickmala
2015-02-09, 09:38 AM
Tamarie unties herself from the branch and climbs down the tree. She locks eyes with Silic and offers a nod of approval.

Tamarie walks towards the group. You're hurt, Iramour. Can you walk? Silic, what alcohol do you have? Let's get this wound cleaned and dressed. We need a safer place to stop..

We need the wagon. Those ****ers better be digging.

RussianRoulette
2015-02-09, 10:41 AM
Twitch surveys the damage as Tamarie descends from her snipe perch. One small wolf lay broken at the foot of a tree. The other near Iramour looks like it's face exploded.

Twitch gives a wary sideways glance towards Silic, and strides over to the largest wolf.

He stops and kneels, examining the shaft of his arrow embedded deep in its thick, matted fur. Attempting to pull the shaft several times before giving up, he breaks the shaft and pokes at the blue algae-like scum on the fur, collecting a tiny sample on the splintered wood. He holds it carefully next to his amber eye.

These wolves aren't right

Twitch examines the suspicious algae [roll0]

He hangs his short bow back on his pack and turns down his sleeves again, concealing what looks to be the tip of a blade. He moves towards Iramour, tossing away the shard of arrow as he walks.

I think we should get moving as soon as you can walk. Something might be a little off with the local wildlife

Turning to Silic, with a deadpan delivery:

I think I got 2. You get any?

andrewmarvell
2015-02-09, 10:53 AM
The algae looks like...blue and green algae. It may be that the wolves are covered in it simply because of environmental factors. The constant dampness and warmth of the jungle may stimulate its growth. The wolves may also benefit from a camouflaging effect in the undergrowth.

Lillibritches
2015-02-09, 11:02 AM
Silic ignores the comment at first, gingerly walking over to the larger wolf, removes the two shurikens from its flesh, and sticks the bloody weapons back into his belt.

Yes, we should continue on and find a place to camp for the night. He pulls from the flask again, and passes it around the group. Go ahead and clean your wounds, or your ego, with this. As Twitch coughs back the acidic spirits, Silic chuckles at the rat and takes the flask back. Maybe this will help your aim be more true next time.

I would not think we should go for more than an hour though; the sun will be setting in a few hours, and we do not know how much longer behind us the others will be.

CarolynGX
2015-02-09, 06:05 PM
Iramour hobbles over to the side of the road, sits down gingerly and, pulling back the blood soaked strands of fabric, assesses her wound.

(to Tamarie) I've had worse. It will heal.

Ugh. And now I'm the one who is going to hold everyone up.

Iramour takes Tamarie's help to dress her wound, first cleaning it out with soap and water and then searching through her bag for scraps of fabric to dress it. In the corner of her eye, she notices the rat examining the fur of the largest wolf.

The wolves I've seen would never go after a group of people. Something about this just doesn't make sense.

Iramour pauses from dressing the wound to take a long pull from the monk's flask. The burning warmth in her stomach helps distract from the pain in her leg.

Silic, check your bag. I saw Lorens shove something in there as we were leaving. If it's a healing potion, I can take it and we may actually make some progress tonight.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-09, 08:26 PM
At the sorcerer's prompting, you look in your satchel and discover, to your surprise, five small vials. Four contain a clear, watery liquid; the fifth contains a black, soupy liquid - it looks like some sort of disgusting stew). You have no idea how Lorens got them in there but you're somewhat grateful he did. That said, you have no idea what they do.

Lillibritches
2015-02-09, 08:45 PM
Digging around in his pouch, Silic looks surprised and pulls out a handful of small glass vials containing liquid - sneaky son of a hag - four clear as fresh snow melt, the fifth a sludgy black. He uncorks one of the clear vials, raises it to his face, and sniffs.

It is not alcohol - but beyond that, I have no idea. He hands one of the clear vials and the sludge to Iramour. Any thoughts?

hickmala
2015-02-09, 10:34 PM
Tamarie attempts to dress Iramour's and then Silic's wounds.

[roll0]

[roll1]

She turns to look at Twitch. What does he mean "something might be a little off with the local wildlife?

Let me take a look at those wolves.

[roll2]

[roll3]

After inspecting the wolf carcasses, Tamarie stands up and turns to face away from the group in the direction where the wolves had come from. She closes her eyes and breathes through her nose, while she slowly takes the braids out of her hair. She runs her fingers from her forehead back to the nape of her neck, and then meticulously puts her hair back into braids. She turns around to face Silic, Iramour, and Twitch.

There's a clearing about an hour down the road.

hickmala
2015-02-09, 10:42 PM
[roll0]

[roll1]

CarolynGX
2015-02-09, 11:02 PM
Iramour knots the last strip of fabric into place. There.

heal: [roll0]

And Silic, you should clean that wound. Who knows what kind of moldy infection you'll get from those creatures.

She transfers her lump of soap to Silic's hand as she takes the vials.

I knew it! ... If these are potions to turn us into frogs, Lorens is going to get it.

Iramour inspects the vials, turning them over in her hands. Let's see what we have here. Iramour whispers a slow incantation over the vials.

detect magic clear liquid [roll1] detect magic black liquid [roll2]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-09, 11:20 PM
The algae looks like...blue and green algae. It may be that the wolves are covered in it simply because of environmental factors. The constant dampness and warmth of the jungle may stimulate its growth. The wolves may also benefit from a camouflaging effect in the undergrowth.

The wolves themselves otherwise seem like every other wolf you've ever encountered. Ever. They look healthy, other than being dead. It's likely that you simply had the misfortune of crossing paths with an aggressive pack of a previously unknown (to you) subspecies of jungle wolf with some sort of symbiotic fur-algae. Nothing appears especially strange or sinister.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-09, 11:36 PM
Focusing on the vials in your hands, you slowly feel something magic emanating from them. It seems as if their energy is crawling through your skin, up your arms at first, then spreading throughout your body. After a few minutes, you know that the four clear potions will heal your wounds. The energy from them seems strong - stronger than you. A more skilled mage than you created these.

You concentrate on the single vial of black liquid, but you are unable to discern much about it. You only know it too is magical. You decide to try to identify it again tomorrow, once you have had time to rest.

CarolynGX
2015-02-10, 09:27 AM
Iramour stops the incantation, a quick smile crosses her face.

The clear vials are a healing potion. The black vial is magic, but I cannot discern what it is yet. I have to rest.

Iramour stands up and walks over to the wolves. There is a small but perceptible shift to her gait.

perception check. Is this how I do it?? [roll0]

She looks up and follows Tamarie's gaze down the road as she pulls her hood over her head.

I'm good to walk. Let's go.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-10, 09:56 AM
The algae looks like...blue and green algae. It may be that the wolves are covered in it simply because of environmental factors. The constant dampness and warmth of the jungle may stimulate its growth. The wolves may also benefit from a camouflaging effect in the undergrowth. Nothing else about them seems especially unusual

RussianRoulette
2015-02-10, 10:34 AM
Twitch coughs back a tremendous drag of spirits from the Oread's flask, gagging at first but swallowing hard on his second try. His empty stomach shoots with pain as it expands too quickly with the influx of liquid. A crippling wave of nausea again strikes him and renders him temporarily immobile.

So this is 'spirits'....why would anybody drink this acrid shi...

His eyes dilate almost instantly, and a wave of euphoria washes over him. He is overwhelmed, and stumbles slightly but regains his footing and gazes hazily towards the group as he passes the flask away. A feeling a wooziness washes over his tiny frame.

Conversation seems to be taking place around him as if he is in a dream. The words are audible but take place in slow motion, as if played through a slowed phonograph. Twitch giggles slightly and lets out a single small hiccup, focusing more on the reverberations and voice intonation than any actual words being said.

He gazes up at the canopy, transfixed by the light trickling in through the tree tops. The forest begins to spin.

hahahahaha......'Spirits'

His eyes snap back to earth and his vision steadies as the lumbering Oread reaches into his pouch and pulls out more liquid. Suddenly Twitch doesn't feel so small. The wolves didn't seem quite as dangerous. The damage done didn't seem so bad. In fact all of his previous problems and the perils of the journey seems to fade into obscurity.

...and why not....itzzes a prartty atdfer all. We're celerbarting

Twitch tries to take a single step towards the Oread's outstretched hand, half-consciously watching him hand the drinks off to the sorcerer, slowly, like his vision was moving at half-speed. He's having trouble walking.

As Iramour stands, apparently debating which 'Spirit' to take, carefully examining each vial, Twitch's amber eye hones in on the black vial.

Mmmmmmm

Iramour looks up from the spirits and again speaks something, sounding to be some kind of whale call. She steps towards the wolves, pulling her hood up.

wait wait wait wait wait

Half lunge, half stumble, he darts with instinctive speed towards Iramour's hand, intent on drinking the black vial of 'alcohol"

SzPIRRRiTzssSSS!

Sleight of hand check to drunkenly grab the black bottle from Iramour's hand and drink it! [roll0] This includes a -5 dex penalty for being drunk. I believe this checks against a perception check from Iramour

andrewmarvell
2015-02-10, 10:50 AM
Twitch, apparently severely intoxicated after a ludicrously small amount of alcohol, begins to sway slightly and his eyes glaze over. He seems lost in his own head, at least momentarily. He snaps back to something like life, only drunker, and acts with something resembling quickness, only drunker. He lurches awkwardly at Iramour, hissing something about spirits, and tries to grab at the vials in her hands. She notices because it's insanely obvious what he's doing, and closes her palm around the potions. He falls forward as he misses his target and lands on his face. His attempt is more laughable than upsetting, though you're all unsure what to do with him in this state.

RussianRoulette
2015-02-10, 11:02 AM
Twitch looks up at Iramour from the ground, with a big mouthful of dirt:

I'm humphgy- letz go phind some donkies

He slowly picks himself up into a hunched sitting position, defeated, and pulls out a serving of rations and gnaws on it, staring blurry-eyed at the road ahead.

Lillibritches
2015-02-10, 11:15 AM
**** - what a lightweight.

The oread shakes his head. Apologies - my shine is quite strong.

He uncorks one of the clear vials and drinks about half of it, then sticks the remaining two and a half potions back in his pants pocket.

hickmala
2015-02-10, 12:31 PM
Tamarie looks at the sky. The sun will be setting soon. We need to move. We only have to make it another hour, and then we can rest for the night. I'll follow from the back again. To make sure that idiot rodent doesn't pull any more bull****.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-10, 12:32 PM
Silic uncorks a vial and places it to his lips.

The liquid is exceptionally cold and tastes slightly of almonds. As you drink half the vial's contents, you begin to feel reinvigorated, as if you have just woken up from a restful sleep.

You gain back 4 HP.

Lillibritches
2015-02-10, 01:07 PM
The potion cools Silic's throat as he sips. He looks down at his leg, seeing the fissures begin to close before his eyes. In a few short seconds, thin, purple crystalline scabs are the only trace of the wolf's vicious bite.

Amazing. He signals at Iramour to do the same, if she needs it.

Silic waits for Twitch to finish his meal (or whatever he doesn't spill on his tunic), then gently lifts up his drunken companion under the arms.

Not much further, little friend. We will go find a nice place for you to rest now. He nods at the other two and begins to slowly march with Twitch forward.

CarolynGX
2015-02-10, 07:06 PM
Here
Iramour hands the vial of clear liquid back to Silic.

Take it, I'll keep the black one until I can find out what it is.

But I'll finish the vial you have opened.

She takes the half-empty vial from Silic's hand and puts it to her lips. As she consumes the liquid she feels her muscles relax. She finds herself able to move without bracing for the pain of each step.

Like new. Incredible.

Silic and the rat-child have already begun to walk down the path. She notices Tamarie hanging back and decides to take up the middle.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-10, 08:09 PM
The potion is ice cold even in the jungle heat, and it tastes like almonds, to your surprise. You immediately feel rejuvenated. The bite wound on your leg begins to heal, scabbing over immediately.

You gain back 4 HP.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-11, 10:29 AM
With Twitch stumblingly leading the way, occasionally guided by Silic, Iramour and Taramie bring up the rear once more. You make better time than expected, even slowed by the ratfolk. The rain continues. The jungle seems more quiet than earlier in the day, perhaps because your encounter with the wolves frightened other animals into hiding. Still, you do hear, from a considerable distance, another group of monkeys hooting and crashing through the treetops.

After a little more than an hour, you arrive at the clearing indicated on Taramie's map. It is a relatively circular area directly east of the road, about 100 feet in diameter. Though it is fairly grassy and free of trees, it is mostly covered by the canopy from the surrounding woods. Around the perimeter of the glade, you see some vines with beautiful crimson flowers. It looks like a decent area to camp for the night.

Lillibritches
2015-02-11, 11:06 AM
Silic drops his bundle and begins to set up his tent near the middle of the clearing. Twenty successful minutes later, he plops down, unwraps a package of rations, and nibbles at boar jerky and dried fruit. Washing down the last of his meal with some ale, the monk walks back to the road and silently looks in both directions. The remaining day is short - too short. He eventually meanders back to the rest of group finishing with their gear.

Once the sun goes down, we should keep a watch on duty. I will take the first shift.

hickmala
2015-02-11, 11:40 AM
Tamarie walks around the perimeter of the clearing, inspecting the clearing and the surrounding trees. She stops to cup one of the crimson flowers in her hand, breathing in its aroma, with a slow exhale. Home for the night.

She turns to see Silic settling in and decides to build a fire. She gathers enough vines and branches to get it started, and pulls flint & steel out of her bag.

To start the fire: [roll0]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-11, 12:12 PM
While Silic sets up his tent, Tamarie traverses the edge of the small meadow. Bringing one of the deep red flowers to her face, she deeply inhales its sugary aroma.

You don't know what these flowers are, but, on closer examination, you seem to see tiny skull-like faces in the petals. The flower suddenly releases a cloud of pollen all around you.

Will save: [roll0]

RussianRoulette
2015-02-11, 01:37 PM
Twitch's head is pounding. The trek to the meadow had started fine. His feet had moved effortlessly as he floated along, but in the past hour his movement had become labored, and hit temple sore.

I should have just let the wolves eat me..

He rubs his forehead with his paws and surveys the muddy meadow they had arrived at. Tamarie was preoccupied with some flowers along the treeline, and Silic was setting up his tent, close to dead center.

Of course he would have to apologize at some point for his outrageous actions, but right now they we're losing the light.

Embarrassing...

He glanced at the sky. Twitch enjoyed the darkness. In the dark nobody could see you. In the dark nobody could judge you. The dark was a time for the animals....

Don't do this...not now....

Rest. He needed a safe place to rest. But there was work to be done first

This is the road.

I will take 2nd watch

In square T12

CarolynGX
2015-02-11, 02:43 PM
After the almond taste of the healing potion settled in her stomach, the walk was an easy one.

I'm not tired, but extra sleep never hurt anyone.

Iramour scans the ground for a dry place to set her bedroll. She finds a grassy patch not too far from the fire near the center of the clearing and sets down her bag.

Are we sure that Twitch should take a shift? I think I should take second. He's in no condition to watch out for us.

Maybe after he sobers up but after those wolves, we need an adult on duty.

Her curiosity is peaked by the red flowers on the edge of the glade. She makes her way over to them. The red color she has seen before in nature, but something about the flowers is completely foreign.

perception check 1d20+6

hickmala
2015-02-11, 03:04 PM
While gathering branches, Tamarie suddenly felt the weight of the day's travels, as if all of her energy had evaporated. I need to sit down.

She walks towards the group, but decides to set up her tent far enough away to discourage conversation.

And drops her stuff at X15

Everybody, stay away from the vines. I'll take watch after Iramour.

She pulls out her journal, a pen, and an ink well, and begins writing.

Day 1: Already we've been separated from the wagons, the animals, and the others. I don't trust them with my gear, and especially not with Edwyn. But safety in numbers, right? Stupid safety in numbers - and who knows if they'll even make it here tonight? If this trip wasn't off to such a dangerous start, I would embark on my own, though Silic, Twitch, and Iramour are starting to grow on me...sort of...

andrewmarvell
2015-02-11, 03:08 PM
Iramour, like Tamarie, seems especially interested in the blood-colored flowers. She walks toward one of the plants for a closer look.

You're not sure what species of flower this is, but the colors are incredibly rich and enchanting. As you examine the flowers more closely, you notice that the petals appear to have tiny, skull-like faces on them. It's slightly eerie, though not unnatural. As you look, a flower suddenly releases a cloud of pollen all around you.

Will save: [roll0]

RussianRoulette
2015-02-11, 03:32 PM
Twitch's eyes dart quickly to Iramour.

You know I'm right here, right?

His tone is accusatory. He unrolls his bedroll by kicking it angrily with his foot paw, and pulls his hood up.

Without missing a beat:
Since someone else is going to take watch, I'm going to sleep

Twitch quickly curls into his bedroll in a ball, adjusting the area around his wrists and closing his eyes. He flicks the tip of his long, scarred tail over his snout, hiding his darker eye-fur entirely. It is impossible to tell but it seems as if he immediately falls asleep.

His tail momentarily flicks up revealing one gold eye in a mound of fur and darkened hood.

TODAY WAS MY BIRTHDAY!

The shout echoes all around the meadow. His tail flicks back into place, again apparently asleep.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-11, 09:11 PM
As Twitch's birthday shouting reverberates through the treetops, a startled flock of sapphire birds leaves their perches and flies away.

CarolynGX
2015-02-11, 10:06 PM
Iramour rolls her eyes at the rat as she sits down on her bedroll. She tucks her legs into the thick fabric and suppresses a yawn.

does this need a spoiler? I'm at U15

I might be a bit tired after all.

As she begins to lay down she catches a glimpse of the rat curled into a ball with his tail covering his snout. It reminds her of how her little brother used to sleep curled up near the hearth with his head snuggled into the crook of his arm. She feels a pang of sadness.

But dammed if I'm going to let the little bugger keep watch.

Silic, wake me when it's time.

She lays her head down and slowly drifts off to sleep.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-12, 09:54 AM
After Twitch and Iramour fall asleep, Silic walks restlessly between the tents and road while Taramie sits and writes in her journal. The rain slows, at least for now, though you know it will inevitably pick up again soon. As the sun begins to set, Silic sees a figure on horseback approaching from the north.

As the rider gets closer, Silic recognizes it as Tatín. He's holding the carcass of a monkey by the tail. Quickly surveying the camp, he says to Silic, "They're sleeping already? Too much excitement?" Without waiting for a response, he lifts up the monkey and continues, "I see you've already got a fire. Well done. Hungry?"

Lillibritches
2015-02-12, 10:08 AM
More food is always welcome, though I admittedly do not often eat monkey. He pauses. We came across three wolves - or rather, they came across us, and attacked. We killed them. A bit trying, but nothing a bit of rest will not repair. I assume the rest of our party is coming behind shortly?

andrewmarvell
2015-02-12, 10:35 AM
Tatín smiles. He seems to be in an unusually good mood, especially considering how gruff he was before. "Nothing better than monkey, my friend!"

He dismounts and ties his horse to a branch by the side of the road. "Wolves, you say? You don't look any worse for the wear. We were lucky after digging the wagon out. No incidents. Although I did manage to get this little guy. Lorens and the rest are right behind me. I'm going to try to set up before they arrive."

He walks to the fire, monkey in hand. As he steps into the clearing, he stops abruptly. Gesturing toward the dark red flowers, he asks, "Did anyone notice those xtabay? We should probably clear them out if we're going to stay the night."

Lillibritches
2015-02-12, 10:40 AM
I did not recognize them specifically, but I do know when something is telling me to stay away. I have no weapon to hack them out, either. What do they do?

andrewmarvell
2015-02-12, 11:38 AM
Dropping the monkey's corpse by the fire, he says, "Their pollen will put you to sleep. Then they'll crawl all over you and devour you. Did they get any of you?"

Tatín draws his kukri and hands it to Silic, then retrieves a scarf from his pocket and ties it tightly around his mouth and nose. "Cover your face and there's little chance the pollen will affect you." He draws his longsword and turns to Tamarie. "Ranger, care to help?"

hickmala
2015-02-12, 12:19 PM
Tamarie unexpectedly dozed off, and is fast asleep, face-down in her journal.

Today was exhau_s-~-~a-----

andrewmarvell
2015-02-12, 03:33 PM
Tatín frowns at the sleeping half-elf. He walks over to her and kicks her lightly in the leg to wake her. When she looks up at him, he grins and says, "Come on. We're doing some gardening. Put some cloth over your face like this and let's get rid of these xtabay. You take the one in the south, he [Silic] can take the one in the north, and I'll take these three in the east. Be sure you remove everything, roots and all, and bring the plants back here when we're done. Don't uncover your face until I say so."

Silic heads north and dispatches the xtabay there with little difficulty, and Tamarie does the same in the south. It's easy work, but it is time-consuming. The vines and roots are thick and it takes some time to remove them; the main concern is thoroughness. Tatín, who has apparently done this before, is finished with three before either of you are finished with one. You meet him back by the campfire and he has already retrieved a large pot from the pack on his horse.

"Put everything in here," he says. Once you've done so, he takes his canteen and pours just enough water in the pot to cover the plants. "We're going to boil this and barrel it when Lorens shows up. Xtabay makes a wonderful drink with a powerful sedative effect. It can put you right out. Quite nice before bed. Monk, you're a brewer, yes? I'll leave you in charge of this while I prepare our dinner. Oh, and you can remove your masks now," he says, removing his own.

With that, Tatín turns the process over to Silic and immediately guts, cleans and skewers the monkey. Before you can say, "soporific pollen," it's roasting over the campfire.

Lillibritches
2015-02-12, 04:04 PM
The monk places the pot near the fire and quietly walks around the clearing, plucking small flowers and grasses that catch his eye. He returns to the campfire, tossing the garnishes into the pot. While the monkey sears, Silic occasionally stirs the steaming liquid with a large tree branch; once or twice he swigs from his wineskin, enjoying the last rays of dusk.

Lillibritches
2015-02-12, 04:10 PM
Silic leans over the pot and cautiously sniffs a few times.

[roll0]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-12, 04:20 PM
You passed your brewing check! This is going to be a delicious xtabay beverage

As darkness descends on the glade, you hear a shout from up the road. "Greetings!" Lorens yells as the wagon rolls into view, followed closely by Teppo and Wygar. "I trust you had no trouble."

He jumps down from his seat while Teppo and Wygar tie up their horses and begin to unload and set up camp. As he approaches the group, he notices the two sleeping members of the party and lowers the volume of his voice. "They seem tired," he observes, laughing. Spotting the spit over the fire, he inhales deeply and says, "I can't wait to eat that monkey."

Lillibritches
2015-02-12, 04:30 PM
The monk smiles. Wolves, whiskey, and sleeping pollen will do that to a person.

Silic unloads the remainder of his gear and beer from Charlie's haunches; he cups one of his hands and lets the mule happily lap up a bit of ale before returning fireside.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-13, 09:31 AM
After the wagon has been unloaded and tents erected, the party (those who are awake), sits around the fire and enjoys some tasty monkey. The meat is fatty and flakes apart like pork, but with more gaminess. After dinner and some drinks, Lorens suggests, "We should get some sleep. I'd like to get an early start tomorrow, perhaps make up some of the time lost today."

Teppo replies, "Agreed. Oread, you and Tatín take the first watch. Wake the sorcerer and Wygar for the second. Ranger, you and I will be third, and the rat can watch with Lorens. I know the old man can't sleep past four."

Lorens laughs and throws a chunk of monkey meat at the guide. "You're six months older than I am. But yes, I am old, and I am tired, and I am going to bed. If any of you have any problems tonight, please don't hesitate to wake us." He rises, bows, and retires to his tent. Wygar and Teppo say goodnight and do the same.

hickmala
2015-02-13, 11:32 AM
Tamarie nods towards Teppo. She takes a sip from her waterskin and gets up to check on Edwyn. While softly stroking his neck, she says How are you doing, boy? I'm sorry I had to leave you. I'll do my best not to let it happen again. I wouldn't know what to do if something happened to you. She lets him lap up some water from her hands, and removes his saddlebags. Goodnight, friend she says with a last long stroke down his neck.

She grabs her gear, walks back into the clearing, and begins setting up her tent.

Wake me when it's my turn to take watch.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-13, 10:25 PM
Your watch with Tatín is relatively uneventful. Tatín is again more reserved than when he arrived at the glade, but you get the impression he's simply focused on the task at hand.

Near the end of your shift, however, the horses and mules seem agitated, snorting and stomping. You and Tatín sit by the campfire. He rises slowly and silently and gestures for you to do the same. You follow him to him to the wagon and try to conceal yourselves as best you can.

You hear more snorting, though this time not from the horses, and some odd barking. After a moment Tatín pats you lightly on the shoulder and whispers, barely perceptively, "Gorillas."

He points to a spot in the jungle just beyond the far west side of the road. It takes a second, but then you see them: at least four gorillas, fifty feet or so away, moving south. They seem uninterested in the animals or wagon or, thankfully, you and Tatín. You both watch them pass without saying a word.

Once they're clearly out of earshot, Tatín says, "We're done. Wake up the sorcerer and get some rest. I'll get Wygar."

You wake Iramour and go to your tent.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-14, 12:07 AM
After a few restful hours, you're shaken awake by Silic. You see Wygar emerge from his tent as Silic and Tatín disappear into theirs. You both meet by the campfire and sit.

Wygar says nothing and you do the same. Sometimes he plays with the fire, stirring it with his sword. You hear the occasional bird or insect.

Around midnight, you hear strange barks overhead. You look at Wygar and he looks up and so do you, and there's nothing in the trees. In the sky, through the canopy, you see two huge winged creatures flying west.

"Derhii," Wygar says, not caring to elaborate. He goes back to stirring the fire.

Soon after, your watch is over. You go to Tamarie's tent and Wygar gets Teppo. You quickly fall asleep.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-14, 12:57 AM
You're roused from sleep by Iramour. You gain your bearings and join Teppo by the campfire. He's drinking tea and pours you a cup. You nod in thanks, take a sip, and instantly feel completely alert.

Nothing much happens during your watch. You and Teppo wander aimlessly at times, searching for something, anything. You see a praying mantis, a rhinoceros beetle with a magnificent horn, and some beautiful glowing moths, but nothing more.

After a couple of hours, Teppo points in Twitch's direction and you go shake the rat awake before retiring back to your tent.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-14, 06:21 PM
You haven't slept so deeply in a long time. Tamarie shakes you awake and you feel much better than before, but your head still slightly aches. You make your way to the fire, where Lorens is already sitting. He salutes you smartly and you think he may have been a soldier once. You sit next to him and chug water. Once you've drained your canteen, you feel almost back to normal.

Your watch passes uneventfully. Every so often the random bird passes overhead, and crickets chirp. You and Lorens chat a little, and you think he isn't so bad for a seemingly ancient human (he's really not that old, but in your youth you think everyone is old). He tells you about adventures in the jungle, fighting apes and plant-controlled skeletons and even drakes and demons.

As the sun begins to rise, you realize at some point during the night the rain stopped. Lorens says, "Wake the others and we'll be on our way. I've enjoyed our talk." He shakes your paw heartily.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-14, 11:49 PM
Near dawn, Twitch wakes you all. Sometime in the night, the rain stopped, but it will inevitably start again soon.

Make a survival check to predict the weather.

Because Tamarie bound your wounds, you each gain 2 HP after resting.

You eat a quick breakfast of leftover monkey from the previous night. Camp is broken and the wagon loaded. Lorens politely suggests that you all get moving quickly before the weather turns to s--- again. He's not mad, but he's purposeful. The party gets moving in no time.

Lorens gave you a cask for the xtabay brew.

The day passes as a day in the jungle does, sweatily and slowly. It doesn't rain, for which you're thankful, and you actually make decent progress. As daylight wanes, you draw near another clearing. You round a bend and find yourselves meeting the gaze of six surprised gorillas.

In the middle of the muddy road stands a gigantic silverback. He beats his chest and roars at a volume you didn't think was possible.

hickmala
2015-02-15, 12:45 AM
To predict the weather [roll0]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-15, 01:13 AM
You passed the survival check. You know today is going to be mostly clear until the evening. Tomorrow will be almost a constant drizzle. The following day will be sunny and warm in the morning but cool and rainy once the sun goes down.

Lillibritches
2015-02-15, 10:24 AM
Holy s***.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-15, 11:55 AM
Iramour [roll0]
Silic [roll1]
Tamarie [roll2]
Twitch [roll3]

Lorens [roll4]
Tatín [roll5]
Teppo [roll6]
Wygar [roll7]

Gorilla 1 [roll8]
Gorilla 2 [roll9]
Gorilla 3 [roll10]
Gorilla 4 [roll11]
Gorilla 5 [roll12]
Gorilla 6 [roll13]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-15, 02:58 PM
Two of the smaller female gorillas rush toward your group from behind the silverback. They move with surprising grace, and one ends up right beside Wygar on his horse. The giant male moves next, less gracefully but much more threateningly. His massive arms propel him forward and he bares his teeth. In seconds he too is directly next to Wygar.

Gorilla 3 moves from Q25 to J16
Gorilla 5 moves from P28 to J19
Gorilla 1 moves from M22 to G15

hickmala
2015-02-15, 03:14 PM
Tamarie watches one of the small gorillas move towards the group. Immediately she makes a swift lunge towards the wagon and jumps on top of the roof.

She grabs a bolt from her quiver and loads it as she takes a step towards the front of the wagon, anchoring herself with a deep inhale. Easy there, boy. Tamarie exhales and sends the bolt straight towards the silverback.

Moved from L6 to H9

Attack roll: [roll0]

Damage roll: [roll1]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-15, 03:23 PM
Tamarie's bolt flies just over the silverback's head. He hears it whistle past and roars. As he does so, another of the females rushes at you, stopping in front of Silic. The farthest of the troop runs north up the road as well, though it remains a good distance from you all.

Gorilla 2 moves from K26 to K14
Gorilla 6 moves from S29 to M20

RussianRoulette
2015-02-15, 03:26 PM
This was bad.

Worse than the booze incident.

Twitch surveyed the scene. Three of the surprised apes were already rapidly pounding towards a very startled looking Wygar and Silic. Tamarie had wasted no time gracefully leaping into the wagon and releasing a quick shot into the largest silvered gorilla. It hits wide.

Help her

Twitch springs into action. He lunges at the wagon as he grasps his bow with his right hand, quickly grabbing a side handle and launching himself off a runner to land on top next to Tamarie.

Positioning himself back to back with her, he notches an arrow and squints at the large silverback.

to hit: [roll0] damage: [roll1]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-15, 03:31 PM
Twitch pulls himself up on the wagon and joins Tamarie. He looses an arrow from his shortbow and it sails above the huge male's left shoulder.

Lillibritches
2015-02-15, 03:31 PM
Silic immediately engages the charging female in fisticuffs.

Unarmed strike 1
attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Unarmed strike 2
attack [roll2]
damage [roll3]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-15, 03:46 PM
Silic faces the ape in front of him, squaring up and unleashing two wild punches. The gorilla deftly dodges both blows, to Silic's surprise and disappointment.

Tatín rides from the back of the caravan to Silic and the gorilla he's facing off with. He jabs at the powerful simian with his lance.

Attack on Gorilla 2: [roll0]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-15, 03:52 PM
Tatín's lance pierces the gorilla's shoulder. It shrieks and grasps at its arm as he removes the point of the lance.

Wygar, between the silverback and one of the females, draws back his lance as well and targets the big male. He shouts as he attacks, which is more than most of you have heard him say over the last couple of days.

Attack on Gorilla 1: [roll0]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-15, 04:03 PM
Like Tatín, Wygar's attack lands. He stabs his lance into the silverback's left leg and twists. The gorilla roars in pain and its booming voice echoes through the jungle.

Teppo, staying close to the wagon and Lorens, raises his crossbow and aims at the largest gorilla.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-15, 04:11 PM
Teppo's crossbow bolt flies through the air and embeds in the silverback's chest. The ape barely seems to notice, more preoccupied with the enemies closer to itself.

The only gorilla who has not moved yet charges Tatín but doesn't reach him.

Gorilla 4 moves from N28 to L17

CarolynGX
2015-02-15, 04:26 PM
Iramour watches the fight unfold in front of her. She is used to grinding, back breaking work but not the adrenaline rush of the fight. Half of her is scared, especially after the wolves. The other half is numb. She is not sure which half she is more afraid of.

Please let this work.

She raises her hands as she slowly starts her incantation, aiming at the largest female.

ray of frost, attack 1d20 damage d3+1

CarolynGX
2015-02-15, 04:32 PM
ray of frost, attack [roll0] damage [roll1]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-15, 04:38 PM
A blue ray emanates from Iramour's finger and hits the gorilla facing Silic directly in the chest. Tendrils of ice spread from the point of contact and the ape stumbles slightly.

Lorens, still on the wagon, loads and fires his crossbow at the silverback in front of him.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-15, 04:45 PM
Lorens misses by a wide margin, his bolt nowhere close to the gorilla. He curses in frustration and prepares to reload.

The female gorilla next to Wygar flails at him with a powerful arm, punching up at the man on horseback.

Attack (slam) on Wygar: [roll0]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-15, 04:54 PM
Wygar dodges the ape's fist by leaning farther back in his saddle than seems possible without falling.

Another of the females approaches Wygar. It seems like the troop is trying to work together, though it's unclear how well that's actually working (not great so far, probably). She attempts to bite Wygar's right leg with her fangs.

Gorilla 3 moves from K19 to J16
Attack (bite) on Wygar: [roll0]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-15, 04:58 PM
As the gorilla lunges at his foot with its teeth, Wygar lifts his leg out of the way and avoids the attack. As he does so, the silverback to his right beats its chest and howls before slamming both of its giant hands at his head.

Attack (2 slams) on Wygar: [roll0]
[roll1]
Damage: [roll2]
[roll3]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-15, 05:02 PM
The silverback raises its hands above its head and brings them down with tremendous force, but he misses Wygar with both. His balance might have been thrown off by the injury to his leg. Wygar looks relieved, albeit briefly.

hickmala
2015-02-15, 05:07 PM
With a sigh of relief at the large gorilla's miss, Tamarie loads a second bolt and sends it his direction.

Damage:[roll1]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-15, 05:18 PM
From the wagon bed, Tamarie lets a bolt fly. It hits its mark, piercing the great silverback in the left leg, near where Wygar lanced him previously. The large ape begins to look somewhat fatigued.

The female near Silic lunges at him with her mouth open.

Attack (bite) on Silic: [roll0]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-15, 05:25 PM
The gorilla bites at Silic's face and barely misses. He feels the heat from and smells her gorilla breath, which is as unpleasant as expected. Still, it's better than having your face bitten off by a rampaging ape.

The gorilla furthest from the party navigates along the west side of the road and approaches the horses attached to the wagon.

Gorilla 6 moves from M20 to F13

RussianRoulette
2015-02-15, 05:28 PM
Twitch watched the caravan guards spring into action, lancing through the large male silverback with a ferocity and emotion that the party had never seen from the men of few words. Even the normally reserved Iramour summons the courage to let loose a mighty ray of frost.

The quick blast of chill makes Twitch's whiskers quiver.

The road has hardened them. Step it up.

Twitch eyes the large, bleeding, silverback. It wasn't enough. He seems to have mobilized gorillas, and they begin swarming Wygar.

If I can't pull my weight...

Twitch carefully gauges the distance between the brown wagon horse and the open space on the haunches of Wygar's horse: the perfect place for open shot.

Grasping his shortbow, he takes a quick two-stride start.

WYGAR HEADS UP!

Twitch attempts to jump between the horses from H12 to I14 [roll0] then attack the large silverback with a quick shot from his shortbow [roll1] damage:[roll2]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-15, 05:33 PM
Twitch moves toward the silverback from the wagon with great dexterity, jumping from the wagon to the back of a wagon horse to the back of Wygar's horse. Wygar turns around and looks at the tiny rat, who just then launches an arrow at point blank range into the silverback's gut. The gorilla doubles over and grunts before yanking the arrow out of its belly and snapping it in half like a toothpick.

Lillibritches
2015-02-15, 05:33 PM
The monk shakes off the deflected blows and rotten monkey breath, spins around the gorilla with a quick step, and chops twice with his left arm.

5 foot step to J13; flanking G2 with TnH (+2 melee atk)

Flurry of blows at G2

Unarmed strike 1
attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Unarmed strike 2
attack [roll2]
damage [roll3]

Lillibritches
2015-02-15, 05:38 PM
Switching unarmed strike 2 to shuriken throw to G3

attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-15, 05:56 PM
Silic moves to his right and smashes his left arm into the gorilla's right side. Its ribs crunch beneath the blow and the animal falls to the ground dead. Continuing his motion, Silic removes a shuriken from his pouch and throws it at the next closest ape. The sharpened blade misses the creature and sticks in the mud right behind it.

Tatín maneuvers his horse near another gorilla and stabs at it with his lance.

Tatín moves from L15 to L16
Attack on Gorilla 4: [roll0]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-15, 06:01 PM
Tatín's lance penetrates the gorilla's left leg, coming out the other side. He rips it out and the gorilla briefly stumbles before steadying itself.

Wygar readies his lance and attempts to skewer the silverback.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-15, 06:10 PM
Wygar fiercely stabs the silverback with his lance, piercing its heart. The big gorilla gasps and drops to its knees before falling forward onto its face, dead.

Teppo, encouraged by the death of the two gorillas so far, raises his crossbow again and fires at the gorilla near the wagon horses.

Attack on Gorilla 6: [roll0]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-15, 06:16 PM
The bolt from Teppo's crossbow misses its target by a wide margin. The female facing Tatín grabs at his leg and attempts to bite it.

Attack (bite) on Tatín: [roll0]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-15, 06:17 PM
As the gorilla attacks, Tatín kicks it in the face, deterring it momentarily.

CarolynGX
2015-02-15, 06:18 PM
Gaining a bit of courage from her last hit, Iramour is ready to try again. She focuses on the image of the great female collapsing into the dirt. She tries to build her energy around this thought, in hopes that it will strengthen her spell. She aims at the gorilla to the left of Wygar.

Let it work... again...

ray of frost attack aimed at G3 [roll0] damage [roll1]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-15, 06:25 PM
Another icy ray shoots from the sorcerer's fingertips at the gorilla standing nearest Silic. It connects, and the ape groans.

Lorens, from his perch on the wagon, again shoots a bolt at the closest creature.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-15, 06:35 PM
[roll0]

Lorens' bolt flies true and hits his target's leg. A gorilla by Wygar swings its fist in his direction.

Attack (slam) on Wygar: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-15, 06:41 PM
The gorilla's clenched fist swings past Wygar's head. The gorilla right next to it, immediately after, also attacks him. It punches at Wygar's stomach.

Attack (slam) on Wygar: [roll0]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-15, 06:43 PM
The second ape's attack misses as well.

hickmala
2015-02-15, 06:45 PM
Tamarie turns toward the gorilla to her right, just south west of the wagon. She loads another bolt and fires.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-15, 06:49 PM
Tamarie's bolt buries itself in the chest of the gorilla approaching the horses. It makes a strange barking sound and bleeds profusely.

It continues moving toward the grey horse attached to the wagon, and bites at the pack animal's throat.

Attack (bite) on W1: [roll0]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-15, 06:52 PM
The gorilla's mouth wraps right around the horse's throat. It bites and shakes its head as the horse tries to escape. Pulling back, it rips a chunk of flesh from the horse's neck and spits it on the ground.

RussianRoulette
2015-02-15, 07:00 PM
Slinging his shortbow as the big silverback falls, Twitch activates the mechanisms in his wrist sheaths with a click flick of his wrist. Two shining daggers jet out from his sleeves, the hilts landing perfectly in his outstretched palms. He targets the gorilla to the left of Wygar's horse and with a sweeping (perhaps overly flashy) motion hurtles two darts into the fray

Twitch uses a swift movement to arm the daggers from his spring wrist sheathes. He then throws 2 daggers at G3 To hit: main hand:[roll0] main hand damage:[roll1] off hand:[roll2] off hand damage: [roll3]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-15, 07:14 PM
Two gleaming daggers suddenly appear in Twitch's hands, and the ratfolk slings them at the nearest great ape. The first one flies past it but the second one connects with the gorilla's right shoulder. It rips the knife from its flesh and tosses it on the muddy ground.

Lillibritches
2015-02-15, 07:15 PM
Silic rushes towards the gorilla in front of him, throwing a vicious uppercut as he meets his foe.

Charge to J15 (+2 atk, -2 AC until start of next turn)
Unarmed strike
attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-15, 07:27 PM
Silic charges the nearest enemy and slams his fist directly into its chin. The gorilla grunts involuntarily as it's hit in the face and then spits blood.

Tatín continues to engage the ape facing him and jabs at it again with his lance.

Attack on Gorilla 4: [roll0]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-15, 07:34 PM
The lance goes all the way through the gorilla's torso, coming out the other end. Still, the ape remains standing even as Tatín removes his lance.

Wygar, on horseback next to Silic, facing two rampaging simians, attacks the one directly before him with his lance.

Attack on Gorilla 5: [roll0]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-15, 07:40 PM
Wygar's lance whiffs past the gorilla, for whatever reason. Perhaps he lost his concentration. Even as he misses, though, Teppo again loads his crossbow and shoots at the gorilla by Silic.

Attack on Gorilla 3:
Damage: [roll]18d+2

andrewmarvell
2015-02-15, 07:41 PM
Messed up the roll...

[roll0]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-15, 07:49 PM
Teppo's bolt enters the gorilla's eye with a sickening thud. The resulting scream is eerily humanoid. And the resulting image is just horrific.

Hearing her troop mate shriek, the gorilla south of Tatín bites at him.

Attack (bite) on Tatín: [roll0]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-15, 07:59 PM
The gorilla misjudges and misses Tatín completely, simply biting air.

CarolynGX
2015-02-15, 08:01 PM
The Gorillas are out of range.

Iramour moves forward settling behind the hulking corpse of the dead female gorilla. She prepares her attack, raising her hand as she aims for the farthest gorilla (G4).

andrewmarvell
2015-02-15, 08:06 PM
Iramour moves to the front lines and crouches behind the carcass of one of the gorillas. She points at the ape attacking Tatín and fires another frost ray. The ray misses by a lot and simply freezes a patch of muddy ground behind the gorilla.

Atop the wagon, Lorens fires another bolt at the gorilla who took a chunk of flesh out of his horse's neck.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-15, 08:12 PM
The bolt shoots from Lorens' crossbow into the gorilla's arm. It yelps and twists the bolt out of its flesh. It tosses it at Lorens' feet.

The gorilla facing Silic roars in his face and he once again feels its hot breath. It bites in his general direction with abandon.

Attack (bite) on Silic: [roll0]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-15, 08:17 PM
The ape latches onto the monk's arm and bites with a ridiculous amount of force. Silic wrestles his arm out of the gorilla's mouth and his stone flesh pours purple.

The gorilla facing Wygar also bites recklessly, hoping to land a hit on the mounted guard.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-15, 08:19 PM
Perhaps these gorillas have been eating xtabay, since the one attacking Wygar continues the pattern and also misses.

hickmala
2015-02-15, 08:22 PM
Tamarie, hearing the gorilla roar, turns to see her friends escape the two gorilla's attacks. She loads her crossbow and fires at the roaring gorilla.

Dmg: [roll1]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-15, 08:27 PM
Tamarie shoots and it flies wide.

The gorilla by the wagon, mouth bloody from its last attack on the horse, moves toward Lorens and swings its fist at him.

[Spoiler=Gorilla 6 actions]
Gorilla 6 moves from F13 to F11
Attack (slam) on Lorens: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1][/Spoilers]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-15, 08:29 PM
The gorilla strikes Lorens in the stomach and the fat man burps, oddly enough. It's scary and gross at the same time.

RussianRoulette
2015-02-16, 09:29 AM
DAMN

Twitch curses from on top of Wygar's horse as he watches Silic charge into the wounded gorilla, taking a grievous wound as he misses a punch.

I need to do more, but my weapons aren't hurting these things...

Behind Silic he sees Tatin skewer a gorilla alive, removing his lance and leaving behind a think string of sinew and gore from the wound as its pulled out. The gorilla seems to be standing on pure adrenaline alone at this point.

If I can free Tatin up, maybe he can help them more than I can...

Twitch reaches for his short bow again

to hit G4 [roll0] damage [roll1]

RussianRoulette
2015-02-16, 09:32 AM
Twitch extends his bow string to the maximum and releases. The arrows immediate path seems to be true...

He holds his breath.

[roll0]

Lillibritches
2015-02-16, 01:26 PM
Silic looks down at his mangled left arm, frowning.

Good a time as any, I suppose.

He whips out a healing potion and throws a powerful punch at the same moment.

Drink half potion
heal [roll0]

Unarmed strike 2 on G3
attack [roll1]
damage [roll2]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-17, 02:16 PM
Twitch fires an arrow and it lands with a hard thud in the right arm of the gorilla facing Tatín. The ape spins from the hit and its corpse falls backward into the mud.

Almost simultaneously, Silic drives his fist into the abdomen of the gorilla he's engaged with. Ribs collapse and blood drips from the ape's mouth before it stumbles forward and dies. The monk, feeling the effects of his injuries, removes one of the small healing potions from his pouch and drinks half of it.

The freezing liquid is instantly refreshing. You gain 3 hp.[/Roller]

Tatín drops his lance to the ground and draws his already-loaded crossbow. He turns in the saddle and aims immediately to his right, at the gorilla standing before Wygar and Silic.

[Spoiler=Tatín actions]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-17, 02:20 PM
The large bolt zings past the ape and sticks in a tree beyond the road. Wygar scoffs and Tatín shrugs and Wygar again lances the nearest gorilla.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-17, 02:28 PM
Wygar seems to favor attacking the creatures' legs, and this time is no different. His lance sticks in the gorilla's thigh and it takes some effort for Wygar to remove it. When he does so, the wound immediately starts squirting blood. The gorilla becomes enraged and howls with fury.

Holding steady near the wagon, Teppo once again aims his crossbow at the gorilla biting and grabbing at Lorens and lets loose a bolt.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-17, 02:31 PM
Teppo's bolt hits the gorilla in the throat, killing it instantly. It releases Lorens and tumbles off the wagon. Only one gorilla remains.

CarolynGX
2015-02-17, 05:31 PM
Iramour yelps excitedly as the gorilla falls from the wagon, releasing Lorens.

Whoo!

She prepares the icy spell yet again, aiming at the final gorilla.

Let's end this.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-17, 06:52 PM
With a defiant shout, Iramour raises her hand and casts another frosty ray at the final ape. The spell fizzles, however, and dissipates before it even reaches the gorilla.

Lorens, no longer occupied by the gorilla on the wagon, loads his crossbow and shoots a bolt past Wygar and his horse. It sails through the air...

andrewmarvell
2015-02-17, 06:58 PM
...and into the gorilla's muscular left shoulder. It shudders with pain and adrenaline before biting at Wygar's leg.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-17, 07:00 PM
Wygar kicks at the gorilla's maw and somehow avoids the attack.

hickmala
2015-02-17, 08:14 PM
This ******* doesn't stand a chance on his own.

With a swift and graceful, almost dance-like movement, Tamarie loads a bolt and fires it at the last gorilla standing.

hickmala
2015-02-17, 08:16 PM
Attack [roll0]

Dmb [roll1]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-17, 09:35 PM
The ranger's bolt hits its mark, burying itself in the gorilla's left leg. Remarkably, it's still standing, but it does not look healthy (to put it mildly).

RussianRoulette
2015-02-18, 08:49 AM
Twitch spins from his last shot, the dropped ape crashing to the ground just in time for the rat to see Tamarie's crossbow bolt mark the last target.

Sensing the end near at hand, Twitch pulls one last arrow from his quiver. He jumps down from Wygar's horse to stand three-abreast with Silic and the guard, facing down the final gorilla together. In the process he draws back for a point blank shot, trying to end the animal's suffering as soon as possible.

Twitch moves to H15 and fires point blank! To hit: [roll0] damage: [roll1]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-18, 01:59 PM
Twitch bravely leaps off the back of Wygar's horse to confront the remaining ape head on. Drawing back the bow's string, he releases another arrow. It sails at the gorilla and strikes it firmly in the chest. With its final breath, the beast collapses, blood draining from its numerous wounds onto the muddy path.

For a moment, you all stand silently and catch your breath. From the jungle west of the road, you hear something moving in the undergrowth. A vine, a foot in diameter or more, snakes out of the trees and quickly wraps itself around the corpse of the gorilla closest Lorens, the one that fell near the wagon after Teppo killed it. The party watches intently, but no one moves.

In another moment, the gigantic vine begins pulling the carcass back into the jungle. You continue to watch, weapons at the ready. To your relief, the vine and the dead gorilla disappear into the brush. Lorens exhales deeply and says, "Let's get the hell out of here."

RussianRoulette
2015-02-19, 02:55 PM
As the entwined gorilla carcass disappears, the attention of the party quickly snaps back to the carnage around. Twitch ducks down near the large silverback, inspecting it, before giving it a swift and calculated kick to the face. As he does so he slightly stumbles, righting himself with a paw in the bloody dirt.

Straightening up at Lorens' words, he glances around, scanning for something in the bloody mounds of ape around him. Evidently spotting them, he strides over to his thrown daggers, quickly winding his spring wrist sheath mechanisms and jamming the daggers back in place.

He shakes his sleeves briskly and they fall, concealing his hands again. He retrieves what salvageable arrows he can find and surveys the scene one last time before facing the road ahead.

Glancing back at the party:
See this is why I invited you all to hang in my caravan, I just watched Tatin put a stick clear through that stupid chim-

He goes silent, shifting his eyes almost imperceivably at the heaps of lifeless fur and blood, perhaps taking a moment to consider his own irreverence for the slain family troop around him.

Better them than me.

He pulls his hood up, and his tone audibly changes.
...This place smells like death. Can we go?

andrewmarvell
2015-02-19, 10:16 PM
You compose yourselves and gather any ammunition you can retrieve, attempting to bypass the bodies as much as possible, and moving quickly to avoid any treacherous vines. The sun begins to go down and a light rain begins after nearly a full day of sunshine.

Twitch speaks, and Lorens seems to read his mind, replying, "I don't think any of us enjoyed that. But it had to be done; we weren't going to reason with them. The boy is right, though - we should move." Everyone seems to agree, and you all start back silently on your way south.

The caravan makes some progress as it grows dark, but not much. You set up camp in another clearing, watchful for xtabay or really anything weird. Your vigilance pays off, apparently, as the night mostly passes without distraction. In the very early morning, however, hours before the sun rises, a strange, persistent thrumming penetrates the air around you. All those in your party hear it; those sleeping are awakened because of its power. The sound is not loud, exactly, but you can almost feel it as if it's wind. It only lasts a few seconds.

You break camp before sunrise and continue on the road. The weather returns to a constant drizzle, but it clears the next day and you make good time. Lorens decides to stop early, before sunset. Another uneventful night passes.

Again, you wake early and ready for the day. Tatín makes a curious(ly delicious) dish with remarkably soft, oblong eggs (perhaps snake? they look like snake eggs) and bizarre jungle roots like daikon and onion and ginger.

You should all be at or near full HP. If anyone wants to retroactively do a Heal check so Silic can be at 10 instead of 9, go for it. Don't worry about rolling.

Lillibritches
2015-02-20, 11:32 AM
The oread stands and wipes his hands clean, finally feeling the full ki flowing through his left arm since the unfortunate gorilla ambush. Scabs covering four deep purple puncture wounds indicate where one of the female's fangs pierced through his hard granite skin.

Delicious again, Tatin. Thank you. Shall we get moving?

He sips a bit of Cayden's Courage from his wineskin and sighs - oh, blessed brew.

RussianRoulette
2015-02-20, 01:28 PM
The rat sits on a tall stump on the fringe of the makeshift camp, the last remnants of Tatin's meal scattered about him. The food seems to have agreed with him this time. The boots and scarves from his red traveling outfit hangs from the edge of the stump, drying out after the nights drizzle. He's fidgeting with some small trinket in his hand, possibly garbage. Every now and again he absent mindedly reaches up and tugs on the thick, hammered bronze earrings lining his ear, provoking a small involuntary twitching. He has thick bags under his eyes (to the degree that bags would be recognizable in the dark fur around them) and the fur on his muzzle stands a bit on end, as if agitated.

The silence (and apparently Twitch's thoughts) seem to be broken by the rumbling of the Oread's words of thanks to Tatin. Looking over in his direction he watches him pull from yet another flask of alcohol. His eyes flick momentarily towards Silic's mule and the many heavy casket's tied around him.

He bites his lip, as if holding something back. Then decisively turns his head back to Silic.
Why do you drink so much?

He quickly frowns.
That sounds bad.

No. I guess I mean...HOW do you drink so much? Those barrels have been sloshing around for the last 2 days. I've had to pee constantly because of them- that seems like more spirits than any being can drink...

Before he allows a response he rambles on, turning his head now towards the rest of the group, in particular Iramour.
I guess what I actually want to say is sorry. I've been meaning to say something since those wolves. I don't really drink. I could have put us in danger.

He casts his gaze downwards.

But its not like there was anything really harmful in those potions, was there Lorens?

hickmala
2015-02-20, 02:11 PM
Tamarie finishes her breakfast and pulls out her journal. She longs for the company of the half-elf travelers that she had grown up with and considered her family. Not that there was anything wrong with this group, but she didn't know them, and she still wasn't entirely sure who could be trusted.

Even if they weren't terrible company and they were mostly adept when it came to traveling in the jungle, they still didn't have the know-how of the half-elves. You couldn't have taken those gorillas on by yourself. You have to put your faith in the others. You'll never make it alone. Even though she knew it was true, the thought made her stomach turn - maybe she could make it on her own. Best not to find out.

Tamarie watches the rat fiddling with something and wonders what it is that he's found. Whatever it is, I hope he didn't take it from the jungle. She didn't believe in taking from the earth, except to satisfy survival needs, and she definitely didn't think it was wise to be carrying trinkets from such a powerfully magical jungle. Her thoughts were interrupted by Silic thanking Tatín, followed by a series of tactless questions and an apology that seemed at least a little bit sincere from Twitch.

At least we're all alright now.

She looks to Silic - her comment was intended both as a question, to make sure Silic really was alright now, and a statement, to reassure Twitch.

With Silic ready to move on, Tamarie stands up and looks to the sky. She slowly turns in a full circle, absorbing her surroundings and deciding if the weather will be on their side today.

Perception Check to figure out what Twitch is messing with:
[roll0]

Survival Check to predict the weather:
[roll1]

Lillibritches
2015-02-20, 03:12 PM
The monk laughs heartily. These barrels are not just for me, little one. I am delivering them to Sendoa. Most seem to enjoy my brews, and I find peace in making them.

He pats one of Twitch's shoulders. No need to apologize, though - I have not spent much time around ratfolk, and did not consider how such small amount of drink could get one drunk so quickly. I will not make that mistake a second time.

He chuckles again, considering the creature's small, pointed face. The rat's strange enthusiasm and constant movement remind Silic a bit of his grippli friend Egac. I do hope he is managing the farm well enough without me, the monk thinks to himself.

He turns to see the half-elf twirling peculiarly around, half wondering if she might have broken into one of his casks in the night. The oread, for once, does not seem to be the oddest duck in the pond.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-20, 03:53 PM
Tatín bows exaggeratedly to the monk, though the gesture is only partially sarcastic.

After Twitch's unexpected address, Lorens responds. "The wolf apology...is confounding. I'm entirely unaware of what occurred but I'm certain it couldn't have been that egregious. Surely everyone has forgiven you by now, for whatever it is you did. Or did not do, if that's the case."

"And yes, the potions. I apologize, as well. I'm a forgetful old man so I simply forgot. But yes, the potions. Four healing and the last...it allows one to climb walls and ceilings. Or trees, for that matter. Anything, really."

Turning to Silic, Lorens says, "We shall. Before we're off, though, will you two" - he gestures at Tamarie and Iramour - "please go to the river and refill our waterskins? We'll get everything loaded in the meantime."

From your map, you know that a river or a large distributary (which is the opposite of a tributary - I know because I looked it up last night) is close. The river (or whatever it is) lies west of the road, maybe ten or twelve minutes away.

You passed your survival check to predict the weather. Today and tomorrow will be normal for the season, meaning some sun but mostly light rain. It will come in fits though, so you should get some respite from the dampness.

RussianRoulette
2015-02-20, 03:55 PM
Twitch brushes off Loren's inquiry into the wolf encounter, and seems to find more reassurance in the Oread's words than in the half-elf's, even breaking his sulky facial expression to crack a quick smile.

Drunk?! Hah. If I don't remember it didn't happen- and I can't believe people pay to be poisoned...

He follows Silic's gaze to Tamarie. Her actions, graceful and mystic, seem to have deliberate purpose. And calm him a bit.

...But then again, I guess everyone has their vices.

He hops off his stump and pulls on his boots as Loren's begins giving departure instructions.

hickmala
2015-02-20, 05:34 PM
While she never directly addresses Lorens, Tamarie's response to his question is answered when she grabs her own waterskin and proceeds to collect the others' as well. She ties a few of them to Edwyn's saddle. Hello, friend. How would you like some fresh water? she says with a few solid pats on his shoulder.

It isn't far, but better to bring him than to risk being separated again. She still hadn't quite shaken the feeling of discomfort that plagued her when they first set out on this journey, and she had been forced to leave him with the wagon. Her self-reliance could only take her so far if she didn't have her gear, but mostly, she couldn't bear traveling without her companion, even if only for a short while.

She tosses her crossbow over her shoulder, and playfully ruffles his mane. Come along!

Tamarie turns toward Iramour, grabbing the reigns on Edwyn's bridle. The river is just west of here, about 12 minutes away. Just let me know when you're ready, and we'll head that direction.

CarolynGX
2015-02-20, 07:32 PM
Iramour stands up and walks a few paces away from the dead gorilla. She stops to stretch her legs as she listens to the group. When the conversation has died down, she speaks.

The "poison" has made us all do things we regret, Twitch.

The monk nods slightly in assent. She's unable to read the half-elf.

But drunk or otherwise, the next time you try to take something from my hand, there will be trouble.

The rat blinks slowly but she can't read his face under the shadows of his tattered hood.

Does he want peace? Or is he apologizing to make the journey easier on himself?

sense motive [roll0]

I'm ready she nods to Tamarie as she walks over to the donkey. She pats him on the shoulder, letting her hand rest there for awhile, feeling his muscles shift as he starts down the trail. The jungle is silent for a brief moment and she is calmed by the sound of the donkey's hooves and the remnants of water sloshing back and forth in the waterskins. As they move down the trail, she no longer smells the stench of blood.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-20, 08:57 PM
Tamarie leads the way, aided by her map and ranger skills. You quickly leave the muddy road and enter the thick underbrush of the jungle. There are patches of relatively little growth, and you (and Edwyn) take advantage of them as much as possible. After a brief walk, you reach the river, exactly where the map indicated it would be.

The three of you approach the river carefully. Nothing seems amiss until you get within a few feet of the bank and you realize an inky black substance permeates the water.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-20, 09:13 PM
After Iramour and Tamarie depart for the river, you continue loading up for the day ahead. The work is short and easy, and when you're finished, you sit down to wait for the other two. There's a few minutes of silence and then Tatín asks, with good humor, "What were you playing with earlier, rat?"

CarolynGX
2015-02-21, 12:29 AM
Iramour lost herself in her thoughts as she walked down the trail, focusing on finding dry footing and so as they approached the bank she almost didn't notice the inky black film on the water.
In Elven, It's dangerous, watch yourself!
Something about this doesn't feel right.
It might be magic. Let me see if I can sense it.
(sense magic) [roll0]

hickmala
2015-02-21, 12:42 AM
As they approached the river, Tamarie was almost startled at the familiar sound of Elven. It had been so long since she had heard the fluid beauty of the language. The startle was much welcomed though, when Tamarie noticed what Iramour had been speaking of.

Thank you for the warning.

I wonder where she learned to speak Elven...?

Tamarie eyes the black water, and the hair on her neck stands up, sending a tingle through her spine. What do you think it is?

To identify the black liquid: [roll0]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-21, 03:15 PM
You concentrate on the swirling black tendrils in the river, chanting a magical incantation and making precise movements with your hand. After a few moments, you do indeed sense a magical aura from the black substance. You're unsure of the school of magic at this point, but it's almost certainly evil.

Roll a knowledge (arcana) check to see if you can determine the school of magic

You examine the water intently, seeing if you can possibly identify the black substance swirling through it. Unfortunately, you have virtually no idea what it is. It's like nothing you've ever seen in nature before.

Lillibritches
2015-02-21, 06:17 PM
Silic finds a sun-soaked patch of grass just away from the group and sits cross-legged, wrists resting on his knees. He closes his eyes and begins to meditate, communing with the earth below - her thoughts, her movements, her long buried secrets.

After a few minutes, an ear-rattling belch erupts from deep within the resting monk, sending a flock of neaby roosting parrots flying.

Ah, much better.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-21, 09:14 PM
Before either of you have a chance to respond to each other, you both hear Elven. There is no sound, but the words seem to echo in your head. The voice is soft and feminine, and asks, Ranger, will you help us?

hickmala
2015-02-21, 11:21 PM
Out of habit, Tamarie reached for her crossbow. She stood alert, turning around and searching for any sign that could show her the source of the voice she had just heard, though she didn't expect to find much. Elven again...where could it be coming from?

Her mind was spinning with questions. Are we being followed? Who are they? What are they asking for?

Who are you? she asked. Why do you need my help?

Perception check, to try and locate the voice: [roll0]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-21, 11:54 PM
The quiet voice again penetrates your minds. I am no one. I have no name. But I try to protect this jungle. I live within the trees. And you must know why we need you. You've seen the darkness in the river. I cannot do it myself.

Your perception roll failed. You can't detect the source of the voice, but you don't really think it will be possible anyway. It's literally just in your head.

RussianRoulette
2015-02-22, 09:28 AM
As Silic meditates peacefully, Twitch ponders Tatin's question for a brief moment, perhaps trying to remember what he is talking about, perhaps debating his answer. He makes the connection finally to his absent minded actions at the stump and a grin comes across his face. bluff check [roll0] (I think this is a pretty believable white lie- so I think this is the correct roll with an added +5? If not: here is my default roll also) [roll1] - maybe use whichever one was appropriate ?

This

He rummages in his belt pouch and holds out a small, paper wrapped trinket. A firecracker.

He nearly drops it in surprise as an earth shaking belch erupts from the monk.

Twitch giggles uncontrollably for a few brief seconds but through his fit:
I was gonna suggest we light one but the whole meadow could go up in flames. Can't be to careful with gas leaks.

He stops and pulls out a small piece of flint and steel.

His mischievous smile is so wide that several gold teeth are visible

andrewmarvell
2015-02-22, 10:18 AM
Tatín shakes his head with something like mild disappointment when the ratfolk reveals the firecracker. He laughs out loud (lol) at Silic's vile burp and Twitch's response, as does Lorens. Teppo and Wygar seem unamused.

Tatín looks at Wygar and says, "I'll bet you can't shoot that out of the sky before it explodes. Rat, light that thing and throw it as hard as you can" - pointing east - "that way."

"Hold on," Wygar says, drawing his crossbow and loading a bolt into it. "Now I'm ready."

Roll a dex check to make sure you don't **** up this toss somehow.

RussianRoulette
2015-02-22, 10:50 AM
Twitch catches Tatin shake his head, paying it little mind. But he needs no further prodding to begin lighting the wick at the end of the rolled firework. He holds the fizzling trinket briefly as Wygar shoulders his crossbow, and whirls to face east while taking a mighty windup

Pull!
[roll0]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-22, 11:19 AM
The lit firework sails surprisingly far and fast. Wygar watches it for the briefest of moments before pulling the trigger on his crossbow. The bolt streaks toward the paper tube.

Attack on firework: [roll0]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-22, 11:23 AM
The bolt tears through the firework as it explodes. They both disappear in midair in a flash. It's an impressive display of marksmanship and no one speaks until Wygar shouts, "Yeah!" and pumps his fist.

RussianRoulette
2015-02-22, 11:37 AM
A sharp, snapping bang echoes throughout the meadow, silencing the area momentarily and for a split second producing an eerie pseudo-tranquility. Wygar is first to break this moment, and Twitch also finds it difficult to contain his enthusiasm.

OH F*** YEAH! Kick-f**king-ass! YEAH. PEW PEW PEW!

He is physically jumping for joy involuntarily and keeling over giggling while mimicking Wygar's shot in dramatic fashion.

Lillibritches
2015-02-22, 11:54 AM
Bwahahaha! Great shot! Silic claps enthusiastically at the showcase. With the two women gone in search of water, flatulence and pyromania seem to strike the group, as if they're all suddenly mischievous teenage boys again.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-22, 02:27 PM
Everyone congratulates Wygar on the masterful shot. He grins widely, displaying more emotion than he has so far.

Lillibritches
2015-02-22, 03:02 PM
wrong thread

CarolynGX
2015-02-22, 03:11 PM
It's something evil. I can feel it. But I'm not sure what kind of magic this is.
arcane magic check [roll0]

hickmala
2015-02-22, 03:16 PM
Dryads...

She whispers to Iramour, They're dryads, guardians of the trees. I wonder if this has something to do with the water...

With here eyes on the trees, she says to the dryad

I will help you. What happened?

andrewmarvell
2015-02-22, 03:16 PM
Your knowledge check is successful. After a period of sustained concentration, you can feel that this black substance is some sort of necromancy.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-22, 03:26 PM
The voice appears again in your heads, replying, Oh, thank you! I am so grateful. The elf did this. He's mad! He wasn't always this way. But he is powerful. Where is the stone man? And the rat? You will need their assistance as well.

CarolynGX
2015-02-22, 03:30 PM
Who is the elf? What can you tell us about him?

andrewmarvell
2015-02-22, 03:33 PM
A mad sorcerer! He will destroy us. Quick, fetch your friends!

Her plea is urgent and her psychic voice appears strained.

hickmala
2015-02-22, 03:35 PM
Let's go get the others.

She grabs Edwyn and quickly leads them back to camp.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-22, 03:39 PM
You hightail it back to the campsite, quickly retracing your steps. Before you realize it you've reached the road.

Finally, back at the camp, after what seems like hours of shooting crossbows at fireworks, Tamarie and Iramour emerge from the jungle with Edwyn.

RussianRoulette
2015-02-22, 03:44 PM
Twitch is still giggling intermittently on a stump in a sunny patch of the meadow.

CarolynGX
2015-02-22, 03:48 PM
Tamarie and Iramour break through the clearing.

It smells like a cow barn in here.... and a bit like smoke?

Iramour speaks forcefully.

Listen up!

She walks nearer to the group, watching heads turn to face her. She sees Silic drop a firework(!?) from his hand.

There's trouble near the river. A dryad needs our help. There is a black, inky substance on the surface of the water that I've determined is necromancy. Tamarie believes this dark magic is the source of the dryad's pain. And I believe her. To defeat this deep, evil magic will need the strength of our group. What say you?

RussianRoulette
2015-02-22, 03:54 PM
Twitch stops giggling and his ears perk up. He turns his head slightly to one side quizzically then hops off his stump.

I've never left a suffering creature out to dryad!

He shoulders his short bow and backpack.

Lillibritches
2015-02-22, 03:59 PM
Silic stands as the half-elf and celestial burst from the jungle, the latter mumbling something strange about fireworks - starry visions in her head, perhaps - and, more importantly, an injured dryad near the river.

I agree with Twitch, in this instance; let us go help.

hickmala
2015-02-22, 04:04 PM
Tamarie grabs some gear from her backpack, leaving Edwyn with the wagon.

Dryads cannot move far from their trees, and so we'll need to go find it. Follow me.

She leads the group towards the location where she and Iramour had just come from.

And if anybody knows anything about an evil elf, speak up. The dryad said he was responsible.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-22, 04:05 PM
Lorens scratches his beard and ponders this information. "You say the river is polluted with this blackness? I'm assuming it's undrinkable, then. This could pose a problem, since that's where our water was going to come from for the next few days."

He thinks again for a moment, and continues, "Go help this dryad. We'll continue on." Retrieving his own map, he unfolds it and points to a location. "Meet us here tonight. You shouldn't have trouble catching up."

andrewmarvell
2015-02-22, 04:09 PM
You leave the caravan behind and return to the dryad's location, led by Tamarie.

When you get there, you immediately notice the black substance permeating the river. It snakes throughout, seemingly alive. Before you can speak, a quiet, feminine voice appears in your mind. Thank you for returning. And for bringing your companions.

Lillibritches
2015-02-22, 04:11 PM
How do we cleanse this river for you, fey creature?

andrewmarvell
2015-02-22, 04:16 PM
The telepathic voice appears again: Thank you too, stone man. The sorcerer has gone insane and threatens us all with this plague. You must defeat him. Only then will his evil magic dissipate. He is close, only a short distance north and west of here. Follow the river and you will find him.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-22, 04:25 PM
You bid farewell to the dryad and make your way up the river. As you move north, you notice the concentration of inky blackness in the water continues to grow. The jungle is surprisingly quiet for early morning, but you make little notice of it. After around twenty minutes, you reach a point where the river is entirely dark. You instinctively realize how close you are to the source of the necromancy. You slow your pace and move...extremely...carefully.

Roll Perception checks.

Lillibritches
2015-02-22, 04:27 PM
Perception check
[roll0]

RussianRoulette
2015-02-22, 04:28 PM
check= [roll0]

CarolynGX
2015-02-22, 04:29 PM
perception check [roll0]

hickmala
2015-02-22, 04:29 PM
perception [roll0]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-22, 04:35 PM
Over the ambient noise from the river and the jungle, you can hear...something. It's too far away to discern, but you can tell that it's coming from west of the river, and north of you (roughly 75 to 100 feet).

RussianRoulette
2015-02-22, 04:40 PM
Twitch pulls his hood up and scurries to the front of the group.

I'm going to sweep in front and try to scout it out.

Twitch attempts to disappear in the trees[roll0]

hickmala
2015-02-22, 04:48 PM
Did you hear that? It was coming from the other side of the river, about 80 feet north of here. I can't discern what it is, but we should follow it.

Lillibritches
2015-02-22, 04:50 PM
Am I already that deaf?

No, I heard nothing, the monk whispers to Tamarie.

RussianRoulette
2015-02-22, 04:53 PM
Twitch whispers from the darkness of the trees ahead back towards the group.

​Then across the river and 80 feet separate us from certain glory. FORWARD!

He moves towards the river.

hickmala
2015-02-22, 05:00 PM
Perception check:
[roll0]

Lillibritches
2015-02-22, 05:00 PM
Perception check [roll0]

RussianRoulette
2015-02-22, 05:01 PM
check= [roll0]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-22, 05:02 PM
With Twitch hidden amid the trees, you all cross the river. It's fairly shallow, barely coming up to the rogue's chest (and most of your knees). You're wary of the disgusting black ooze in the water, but you try to ignore it. After crossing, you continue to move north.

CarolynGX
2015-02-22, 05:04 PM
perception check [roll0]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-22, 05:28 PM
As you move through the undergrowth of the jungle, carefully weaving between trees, you notice a figure up ahead, near a small and shallow cave by the river. You can't tell much from here, but its clothes are ragged and its back is turned to you.

Silic indicates the direction of the enemy and you all move forward.

andrewmarvell
2015-02-22, 05:35 PM
You approach the figure by that cave that Silic pointed toward, and its back remains turned. As you get closer, you see how truly ratty and disgusting its clothes are. The creature has long and stringy grey hair down its back, and it appears emaciated. As you get closer, it suddenly turns around and you see its face. It's a terribly grizzled half-elf, not an elf, with extremely wrinkled gray skin. It almost looks like a corpse.

Lillibritches
2015-02-22, 05:37 PM
initiative check [roll0]

RussianRoulette
2015-02-22, 05:41 PM
check [roll0]

andrewmarvell
2015-02-22, 05:46 PM
Iramour: [roll0]
Tamarie: [roll1]
Sorcerer: [roll2]