PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Feat Design: Brutal Grip

Ralanr
2015-02-08, 03:31 PM
Feat: Brutal Grip
Requirements: 15 Str
+1 Strength

"Whenever you are wielding a weapon with the versatile property in one hand and no other weapons, damage rolls for this weapon count as if you're using both hands."

"When wielding a two handed melee weapon, you may choose to wield it in one hand. if you do, you take a -2 penalty to all attack rolls made with that weapon. In order to benefit from this affect, you must not have a weapon in your opposite hand."

What do you think?

Edit: Removed requirement, and the -2 to hit, added a +1 to strength.
Edit 2: Decided to take Submortimer's suggestion. Dueling fighting style doesn't nullify the -2 to hit, just increases the damage. Also added a requirement of 15 str, because it giving the ability to wield a two handed weapon in one hand or use a versatile weapon like you were using two hands in one without any sort of strength requirement doesn't make sense to me. Since you can get a 15 within the point buy system at level one, it shouldn't be too hard to meet the requirement.

GorinichSerpant
2015-02-08, 03:49 PM
Most feats in 5e have 2-3 different features with them. While this one has only one, which would make this a waste of a precious ASI. I don't have enough knowledge of 5e to comment on if this ability is overpowered or not.

Twelvetrees
2015-02-08, 04:15 PM
Most feats in 5e have 2-3 different features with them. While this one has only one, which would make this a waste of a precious ASI. I don't have enough knowledge of 5e to comment on if this ability is overpowered or not.

If anything, it's underpowered. You get an average of one extra point of damage in exchange for missing more. In addition, the requirement for high strength means that this feat can't be taken until higher levels, so the amount of use it will see will decrease because of that.

Wartex1
2015-02-08, 04:28 PM
Why not just make a feat that allows for use of two-handed weapons with one hand, either at high requirements or a decent cost?

Ralanr
2015-02-08, 04:36 PM
Why not just make a feat that allows for use of two-handed weapons with one hand, either at high requirements or a decent cost?

Personally I wanted to avoid the idea of someone swinging a two handed maul or greatsword in one hand. That just seems too ridiculous for me.

I think I'll just remove the minus two, and make it a +1 strength feat.

GWJ_DanyBoy
2015-02-09, 01:00 PM
It's +1 STR and +1 average damage with specific weapons, +2 on crits. So in terms of just damage, it's about equivalent to +3 STR. In all other ways (to-hit, carrying capacity, saves, skill checks, etc.) it's worse than just putting +2 in STR.

Submortimer
2015-02-09, 01:58 PM
Feat: Brutal Grip

+1 Strength

"Whenever you are wielding a weapon with the versatile property in one hand and no other weapons, damage rolls for this weapon count as if you're using both hands."

What do you think?

Edit: Removed requirement, and the -2 to hit, added a +1 to strength.

I'd throw in a second level of that ability, that is the ability to use a two handed only weapon in one hand, but at a penalty

Something like this:

"When wielding a two handed melee weapon, you may choose to wield it in one hand. if you do, you take a -2 penalty to all attack rolls made with that weapon."

This does lead to the silliness that is Using a greatsword in one hand, but this is D&D, and some people wanna be Cloud. :smallsmile:

Ralanr
2015-02-09, 04:17 PM
I'd throw in a second level of that ability, that is the ability to use a two handed only weapon in one hand, but at a penalty

Something like this:

"When wielding a two handed melee weapon, you may choose to wield it in one hand. if you do, you take a -2 penalty to all attack rolls made with that weapon."

This does lead to the silliness that is Using a greatsword in one hand, but this is D&D, and some people wanna be Cloud. :smallsmile:

I think I'll add that when I can (on phone). Though what's the benefit of the dualing fighting style? Is it +2 to hit or +2 damage. If it's the former I may make it a -3 or -4 penalty for two handed weapons in one hand.

Submortimer
2015-02-09, 06:03 PM
I think I'll add that when I can (on phone). Though what's the benefit of the dualing fighting style? Is it +2 to hit or +2 damage. If it's the former I may make it a -3 or -4 penalty for two handed weapons in one hand.

Dueling adds +2 to damage. Only Archery adds to hit. Interesting point, Even with this feat, you'd only be able to apply dueling, not great weapon fighting. it specifically states that you have to attack with the weapon in both hands.

Ralanr
2015-02-09, 06:50 PM
Dueling adds +2 to damage. Only Archery adds to hit. Interesting point, Even with this feat, you'd only be able to apply dueling, not great weapon fighting. it specifically states that you have to attack with the weapon in both hands.

That is a very good point.