PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Looking to make a ranged slayer, looking for pointers.

13ones
2015-02-08, 04:02 PM
Good afternoon Giants!

I come to you this afternoon with a curious problem. I'm in a group that is in dire need of some proper ranged damage. We've got a Bloodrager and Swashbuckler up front, a Bard in the mid range, with an Oracle and Arcanist filling our magic roles. The Arcanist is pretty much Anti-Mage in that he's focused in counterspells and DCs rather than blasts, and the Oracle is an Oracle of life doing some weird damage shifting, the Bard is an Arcane Duelist, the Swashbuckler is doing Slashing Grace sillyness, and the Bloodrager is...just a monster. So I looked at this group and saw they lack a serious ranged class that can just drop something from across the map so I started to look at slayer. I've played ranger before so I have an idea on how to build the character, but I'm wondering if there is any way to actually get the sneak attacks to proc while being half way across the map from the actual fight. I've looked into Stygian Slayer but while it gains the potential to grab greater invisibility as a wand I have no certain chance of actually having it. Is there some feat or item that makes this work?

TL;DR I wanna sneak attack with a Slayer and Bow. How do? Is it easier just to be Ninja?

Mr.Sandman
2015-02-08, 10:02 PM
It looks like there is a Sniper archtype for Slayer, you should ask your DM if its ability stacks with the standard Deadly Range talent, that should get you some nice range.

Psyren
2015-02-08, 10:24 PM
Yes, Ninja is easier due to Invisible Blade, but that doesn't mean you can't do it with a Slayer anyway. Goz Mask + Sniper Goggles + Eversmoking Bottle (or smokesticks) will let you strike from range without being seen, at ranges beyond 30' - combine with the sniper archetype for Slayer and you can boost this distance even further.

grarrrg
2015-02-08, 10:37 PM
It looks like there is a Sniper archtype for Slayer, you should ask your DM if its ability stacks with the standard Deadly Range talent, that should get you some nice range.

Sniper archetype is horrible.
Unless you really need the "half Range Increment penalty", OR really need +10ft. Sneak Range before level 4, then you should stay VERY far away from the Sniper archetype.

All Slayers have access to Deadly Range talent by default:
"increases the range at which he can deal sneak attack damage by 10 feet. A slayer can select this talent more than once; its effects stack. A slayer must be at least 4th level"
The Sniper Archetype "loses" it's first talent, and gains:
"increases the range at which he can apply his sneak attack damage by 10 feet. Whenever the sniper is able to select a new slayer talent, he can instead choose to increase this range by an additional 5 feet."

Unless you _REALLY_ need that extra +10ft. at 2nd or 3rd level, the Sniper ability is strictly WORSE than just taking the Deadly Range talent.

Psyren
2015-02-08, 11:39 PM
Unless you _REALLY_ need that extra +10ft. at 2nd or 3rd level, the Sniper ability is strictly WORSE than just taking the Deadly Range talent.

But that's the whole point - you can get increased range at 2, then just take the Deadly Range after that as a slayer talent instead of using the alternate form of the Sniper version; it's optional. And reduced range increment penalties is much more useful for a ranged attacker than Track.

grarrrg
2015-02-08, 11:42 PM
But that's the whole point - you can get increased range at 2, then just take the Deadly Range after that as a slayer talent instead of using the alternate form of the Sniper version; it's optional. And reduced range increment penalties is much more useful for a ranged attacker than Track.

Still an epic fail on the pile of fail that is the ACG editing team.

Psyren
2015-02-09, 09:07 AM
Still an epic fail on the pile of fail that is the ACG editing team.

I think what they meant to say was:

"At 2nd level, the Sniper gains the Deadly Range slayer talent without needing to meet the prerequisites. Each subsequent time the Sniper takes the Deadly Range slayer talent, he increases his effective sneak attack range by 15ft. instead of 10ft."

And there's no question that ACG was poorly edited, but this entry is hardly the end of the world. I certainly wouldn't call it "epic" (in either direction.)

Kudaku
2015-02-09, 09:26 AM
I'm pretty sure they issued a FAQ on the Sniper? Hang on, let me look it up.

Ah, yes:

Replace the Sniper archetype’s Deadly Range ability with “Deadly Sniper (Ex): At 2nd level, when the sniper makes an attack against a target who is within his weapon’s first range increment and completely unaware of his presence, that attack ignores the 30 foot range limit on ranged sneak attacks, and if it is a sneak attack, he adds his sniper level as a bonus on his sneak attack damage roll. After this first attack, the target is aware of the sniper’s presence.”

Source. (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2rwsg?Three-ACG-Errata-You-Didnt-FAQ)

Rolero
2015-02-09, 09:33 AM
If gunslinger is allowed he is a very solid option as well, and even if gunpowder is banned, the Bolt Ace (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/gunslinger/archetypes/paizo---gunslinger-archetypes/bolt-ace) archetype, lets you play it with a crossbow, and IMO is one of the best ranged options in the game.

Psyren
2015-02-09, 09:36 AM

Ah, yes:

Replace the Sniper archetype’s Deadly Range ability with “Deadly Sniper (Ex): At 2nd level, when the sniper makes an attack against a target who is within his weapon’s first range increment and completely unaware of his presence, that attack ignores the 30 foot range limit on ranged sneak attacks, and if it is a sneak attack, he adds his sniper level as a bonus on his sneak attack damage roll. After this first attack, the target is aware of the sniper’s presence.”

That's excellent - nice find!

I'm especially liking that they gave the Ecclesitheurge an AC boost ability.

Kudaku
2015-02-09, 05:21 PM
Happy to help. :smallsmile:

I expect the ACG errata to be released by the end of the month, possibly already this Friday. Should be interesting reading! :smallbiggrin:

Psyren
2015-02-09, 05:24 PM
Happy to help. :smallsmile:

I expect the ACG errata to be released by the end of the month, possibly already this Friday. Should be interesting reading! :smallbiggrin:

*crosses fingers for Bolt Ace errata*

Kudaku
2015-02-09, 06:22 PM
You and me both. Giving the Bolt Ace Gunsmith and firearm proficiency feels like a hate crime.

grarrrg
2015-02-09, 10:04 PM

Ah, yes:

Yes. That.
That is VERY much better.

Psyren
2015-02-09, 10:13 PM
Yes. That.
That is VERY much better.

It's almost like they listen to player feedback and improve the game or something! :smalltongue:

grarrrg
2015-02-09, 10:41 PM
It's almost like they listen to player feedback and improve the game or something! :smalltongue:

Sometimes.
I'm still waiting for some Errata for a few things from Ultimate Combat... :smallwink:

Kudaku
2015-02-10, 03:40 AM
If you're thinking of CW they did re-errata the feat, but the new version is disappointing as well. I get the feeling that Bulmahn really hates CW, Mark posted an alternate take that (imo) is much better.

Posting from my phone atm so can't provide links, unfortunately.

Edit: More links! Yay! Errataed Crane Wing can be found here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/crane-wing-combat) and Mark Seifter's alternate take on the feat can be found here (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2rtaw?Happy-Holidays-from-the-Pathfinder-Design-Team#13).