PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Manufactured Weapon Eidolon and Evvolutions, Please Help

Hazrond
2015-02-08, 04:41 PM
I am currently making an Eidolon for a summoner i am playing and have decided to go the "weapon wielding biped" and when i was reading through the evolutions, several of them are only for natural attacks but i noticed two of the ones i wanted most didn't actually have this restriction, here is the wording

One of an eidolon’s attacks is capable of striking at foes at a distance. Pick one attack. The eidolon’s reach with that attack increases by 5 feet.

it says to "Pick one attack.", so what stops me from picking the eidolon's bastard sword as the attack?

An eidolon gains the ability to inflict bleeding wounds. Select one type of attack. Attacks of that type deal 1d6 points of bleed damage. This evolution can be selected more than once. Each time an eidolon selects this evolution, it applies to a different attack. The bleed effect doesn't stack.

Here it is again, "Select one type of attack", so am i allowed to pick his sword for this? As far as i can tell nothing restricts it to natural weapons.

Hazrond
2015-02-08, 05:36 PM
anything? if you can think of a reason this wouldnt work thats fine, i am just hoping it does

Hazrond
2015-02-08, 07:08 PM
Bump to hopefully begin conversation

grarrrg
2015-02-08, 10:45 PM
Please don't bump posts less than 2 hours old...

it says to "Pick one attack.", so what stops me from picking the eidolon's bastard sword as the attack?

All Eidolon evolutions are based on the assumption they work for Natural Attacks, unless stated otherwise. Eidolon's don't have a "bastard sword attack", while they (probably) have hands which are capable of using a Bastard sword, they don't inherently have a "sword attack".
Also, note the FAQ (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fn#v5748eaic9qjz) which says it only works for one _single_ attack. "Reach Claw" means _1_ Claw has reach (also note that it can only be taken once, ever).

Run it past your DM though, it's possible they'll allow it anyway. Since, logically, if you have "Reach Claw" that means the arm with the claws is longer than normal, it be really weird/unlikely to have 5ft. long claws.

Here it is again, "Select one type of attack", so am i allowed to pick his sword for this? As far as i can tell nothing restricts it to natural weapons.

Same reasoning as behind Reach.

upho
2015-02-10, 02:36 AM
Just a few details that maybe wasn't obvious in grarrrg's reply:

it says to "Pick one attack.", so what stops me from picking the eidolon's bastard sword as the attack?As grarrrg says, it's intended for a natural attack. Though strictly by RAW (and reason, like grarrrg wrote), I'd say you can add reach to the eidolon's weapon attack. I'd rule this as adding reach to the limb holding the sword.

Also note that while grarrrg is correct that you can only take the Reach evo once, that restriction only applies per attack. You may, for example, take the reach evo 6 times, each instance applying to one of your eidolon's 6 claw attacks (or one of the 6 arms holding a sword, in this case).

Here it is again, "Select one type of attack", so am i allowed to pick his sword for this? As far as i can tell nothing restricts it to natural weapons.Note the easily missed but very important difference here: "Pick one attack" vs. "Select one type of attack" (my emphasis). This means that by RAW, Bleed works like the Weapon Focus feat and applies to all the eidolon's attacks of a certain type (such as all claws, bites, hooves, battleaxes, throwing dwarves, or whatever), whereas the Reach evo only applies to one specific attack, regardless of type.

grarrrg
2015-02-10, 03:10 AM
Also note that while grarrrg is correct that you can only take the Reach evo once, that restriction only applies per attack. You may, for example, take the reach evo 6 times, each instance applying to one of your eidolon's 6 claw attacks (or one of the 6 arms holding a sword, in this case).

Must disagree on this.
The Reach evolution does not have "This evolution can be selected more than once." as part of its text. This means it defaults to "once ever".

upho
2015-02-11, 12:25 AM
Must disagree on this.
The Reach evolution does not have "This evolution can be selected more than once." as part of its text. This means it defaults to "once ever".Ooops! :smallredface: You're absolutely right. I somehow dreamed up I had seen an FAQ on this. (Turned out that while I had seen an FAQ on the reach evo, it didn't say anything like what I said...)