PDA

View Full Version : A class for my Worg cohort?

Outback
2015-02-08, 07:20 PM
I recently got the OK to get a Worg cohort for my Halforc. Now I'm wondering, can I give a magical beast like a Worg (int6) a class? Not like mage or ranger w. bow or anything simply stupid, but I was thinking perhaps Expert? Just wondering if there's anything written about it, or done before perhaps.

Urpriest
2015-02-08, 07:35 PM
Curmudgeon believes that creatures have to have "by character class" in their advancement entry to take a class, but in practice WotC has statted out many creatures with classes that have no such entry, and the general rule is that the creature must have Int 3 or greater, so Worgs qualify fine. Expert would be an odd choice, though, I'd probably go with Barbarian, Warblade if you can justify it.

Coidzor
2015-02-08, 07:44 PM
Fangshields Ranger substitution levels would be good.

Scout could be nifty for some skirmish damage for extra stuff on a charge or extra AC while carrying a mounted archer.

Marshall lets them have their charisma to buffing you and other allies, depending upon the worg's charisma this may or may not be worthwhile.

Dragon Shaman has some similar stuff with auras and there's a couple of feats to let you take some draconic auras.

Barbarian is fun, of course.

DrMotives
2015-02-08, 07:45 PM
Pretty much what Urpriest said. Pretty much anything with an int of 3 or greater can have standard classes, although lack of hands can make many class features useless. Barbarian & ranger both fit fluff-wise very well with a worg, although the bonus feats (except for track) that a ranger gets are all useless without going out of your way to find a way to make them work somehow. I did have a PC in one campaign I DMed play an awakened wolf, the character was a sorcerer / rogue / arcane trickster. For a magic weapon, I allowed him a gold tooth that enhanced his bite attack.

Outback
2015-02-08, 07:46 PM
Being a Barbarian Warblade already, it seems a little excessive. I thought perhaps have the Worg focus on a few skills that my character can then go lite on, perhaps have it recruit more Worgs to the cause as well.

Not that I expect the Worg to do any Diplomacy rolls at court mind you.

Outback
2015-02-08, 07:49 PM
Ninja'd.

I like the idea of Scout by the way. May allow me access to plenty of skills I can have my char go lite on plus I have always been wondering how the Skirmish can be put to work. I will look at a Scout class for it. In the meantime, other suggestions are still very welcome.

atemu1234
2015-02-08, 07:53 PM
I'd find a crusader worg hilarious.

Urpriest
2015-02-08, 08:00 PM
Rogue could be legit, though Scout is probably more in-theme. Swordsage would be cute.

goto124
2015-02-08, 10:41 PM
I misread the thread title as 'A class for my Worg Concert'.

Now we need a Worg Bard.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-02-08, 10:54 PM
Since it can only make one bite attack per round, even if it has a +6 or higher BAB, I'll agree that Scout or possibly Swift Hunter Ranger is the way to go. Go with the strong-arm fighting style for Ranger if using Swift Hunter, it's from Dragon 326 and it gives Power Attack, Improved Sunder, and Great Cleave. Also be sure to pick up Leap Attack.

You could make it a Totemist or a Binder or even a Dragonfire Adept if you want its capabilities to be more... exotic.

Bob of Mage
2015-02-09, 12:31 AM
Scout seems like a good option if you want a more skilled cohort. It fits with the sort of things that something like a normal Worg would know how to do. Wrogs get a racial bonus to some stealth and tracking skills which meshes nicely with a Scout. A Scout doesn't get Track so I'd grab that as one of it's feats. Worgs get scent and a buff to tracking with scent so it should be useful, unless there never any chnace to use that skill. However I really hope the Worg doesn't have hte base 6 INT or it's going to have a hard time being a Scout since they need skills. Of course all is not lost as it would still get 6 skills per level with 6 INT.

(Un)Inspired
2015-02-09, 01:33 AM
Well look at that, Worgs actually have good wis. Slap surrogate spellcasting on it and give it levels in Druid or cleric.

Turn it into a combat nightmare.

WeaselGuy
2015-02-09, 02:19 AM
I'm surprised nobody mentioned VoP Unarmed Swordsage... Of course, then your Worg is Exalted Good, but hey... could be fun :smallbiggrin:

Thurbane
2015-02-09, 04:21 AM
There's the Simple Variant Ranger (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/unearthedCoreClass.html#simple-ranger) from UA that gives up combat style for Fast Movement and (limited) wild shape. It could be handy to able to change into a baboon (or similar) and gain a pair of hands when needed.

Urpriest
2015-02-09, 06:08 AM
Since it can only make one bite attack per round, even if it has a +6 or higher BAB, I'll agree that Scout or possibly Swift Hunter Ranger is the way to go. Go with the strong-arm fighting style for Ranger if using Swift Hunter, it's from Dragon 326 and it gives Power Attack, Improved Sunder, and Great Cleave. Also be sure to pick up Leap Attack.

You could make it a Totemist or a Binder or even a Dragonfire Adept if you want its capabilities to be more... exotic.

Oh actually, this is an important point. Once its BAB is high enough you'll want it to have Improved Unarmed Strike from some source, so as to get additional attacks. Alternatively, buy a Mouthpick weapon (Lords of Madness).

Sam K
2015-02-09, 07:51 AM
I misread the thread title as 'A class for my Worg Concert'.

Now we need a Worg Bard.

Perform: howling?

Taveena
2015-02-09, 07:52 AM
Perform: howling?

Given Battle Dragons use Perform: Oratory to roar majestically, I suspect that would fall under the same category.

Seriously, there's precedent of roaring to Inspire Courage. DO IT.

Swaoeaeieu
2015-02-09, 09:37 AM
Anything combat related. I always cheer for warblade.

But i will say this: in dnd, a world where technologie is not yet developed enough. There are some concepts of war you will have to solve with magic.
So i say give the worg a self loading mouthpick great-crossbow and enjoy your very own, very primitive tank!

Or that class/template that turns a creature into a dragon. Put some wings on that mount!