PDA

View Full Version : The Walking Dead Season 5 Part 2 (Spoilers)

Pex
2015-02-08, 10:30 PM
Tyrese is gone.

It's about time. The Group just got 25% smarter. We still have Carl, Eugene, and the Priest to factor in the Stupidity quotient, but fortunately both Eugene and the Priest have no gumption value for the Group to consider their ideas, or more accurately, protests going against everything the Smart Ones propose. Rick is inherently biased to Carl, and even Michonne is wrapped around his finger, but Carl has potential. He has done non-Stupid things. There's also Maggie, but she can get back her Kick-Ass Girl status along with Michonne, Carol, and Sasha. Beth's death could be motivation. There have been criticisms that the Group as a whole has done stupid things over the seasons, but they're learning. The Governor/Terminus combo gave them the kick in the butt they needed.

Nice surprising cameo from David Morrisey.

I like how they handled Rick and Michonne debating about fortifying the town. It wasn't an argument. They talked and respected each other as equals. Michonne came to accept Rick was right the town is no good, but Rick agreed with her to keep faith in a Chance. Rick continues to no longer claim his way or no way. He is the "Ring Leader", not the Governor.

SaintRidley
2015-02-09, 12:51 AM
Everything about the hallucinations this episode was beautifully done. I was especially delighted when I noticed each of Tyreese's hallucinatory visitors was bleeding from the wound that killed them.

The J Pizzel
2015-02-10, 10:06 AM
It was an absolutely beautiful episode.

thompur
2015-02-10, 12:55 PM
The question is, now, who will be the new "Moral Compass" of the group, i.e. most likely to die. ;-)

SaintRidley
2015-02-10, 01:04 PM
The question is, now, who will be the new "Moral Compass" of the group, i.e. most likely to die. ;-)

On Talking Dead Chad Coleman suggested that the other characters might find a little bit of Tyreese in themselves, eliminating the need to put all of that weight on a single character. Given the point we're at relative to the comics (and that the comics are still being followed in a broad sense, if not entirely in specifics) I would say that has a fair shot of happening.

Pex
2015-02-15, 10:10 PM
Those who complain the show is all talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk with nothing happening will have plenty to complain about again. Meanwhile, I like the talk and enjoyed the episode.

Looks like they're going ahead with The Town story arc now. It was inevitable, I suppose, when the Priest arrived, but now the Recruiter has shown up. In the comic the Group was cautious but still trusting. On the show the Group has learned hard the lessons of Westbury and Terminus. Previews show them being far less trusting as well they should be. Just have to wait until next week to see how it starts to pan out.

SaintRidley
2015-02-16, 02:11 AM
It seems like we're going to enter a stretch of following the comics loosely. Which means I'm guessing the rest of this season will be getting them to Alexandria, gaining their trust, and trying to acclimate them to something kind of resembling life before it all went down.

Season 6, then, will likely include some new side plots and the introduction of some of the other communities, as well as the Saviors.

Sparx MacGyver
2015-02-16, 03:28 AM
As usual, a slow couple of first episodes, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Concerning episode 510:
did anybody else think it was a bit odd that Abraham was cut with a knife that had just gotten 'fresh' walker goo on it? Seemed nobody on the show noticed or cared after that scene, unless Abraham drinking is supposed to be foreshadowing to him turning or something.

Regarding comics and possible future on the show:
Does this mean Negan and Glenn are to have a fateful meeting sometime in S6? Kirkman has said twice that Glenn's death is coming soon, but since he was so direct I like to think he was trolling..

Bowerbird
2015-02-17, 10:18 AM
Concerning episode 510:
did anybody else think it was a bit odd that Abraham was cut with a knife that had just gotten 'fresh' walker goo on it? Seemed nobody on the show noticed or cared after that scene, unless Abraham drinking is supposed to be foreshadowing to him turning or something.

While granted I haven't read very far into the comics (only up to the Governor's introduction), I was under the impression that death by zombie bites was largely due to infection, and while walker "goo" is no doubt bad, the state of their mouths is much worse. So it's not very good, but it's nowhere near as bad as a bite. I don't actually remember this bit, personally, but that'd be my take on it, from what you described.

Sparx MacGyver
2015-02-17, 02:12 PM
While granted I haven't read very far into the comics (only up to the Governor's introduction), I was under the impression that death by zombie bites was largely due to infection, and while walker "goo" is no doubt bad, the state of their mouths is much worse. So it's not very good, but it's nowhere near as bad as a bite. I don't actually remember this bit, personally, but that'd be my take on it, from what you described.

I guess it doesn't help they don't set any kind of ground rules for this kind of stuff. The only thing I know of is that every person is infected and no matter how you die you become a walker - unless how you died destroys the brain. If you get bit, unless you can amputate in time then you turn into a walker. I figured he wuld have made a fuss about it other than stand there and look angry and then nothing is ever said.

Pex
2015-03-02, 12:22 AM
I just know the girl sneaked out of Alexandria to talk to the three who were exiled. She's a spy scoping out the townpeople's weaknesses so the Evil Bad Guys can come in and ruin everything. The Group could save the town from the attack, but it will still be a fustercluck because some people just have to be stubborn bastards and not get it when a Safe Haven is working.

I want to be wrong about this, but I don't think so.

SaintRidley
2015-03-02, 03:35 PM
Enid's show-only and thus can only throw a wrench in predictions, but I doubt that's the thing with her.

t209
2015-03-03, 08:43 PM
So any Hunters or the Saviors arc in the series?
So does the prison overran in the series since the trailer showed tank plowing through the fence.

SaintRidley
2015-03-03, 09:03 PM
We've passed the hunters already. We're still a ways away from any Saviors arc, though, considering we need to be introduced to the Hilltop and the Kingdom first, and those won't happen until after a lot happens in Alexandria.

Pex
2015-03-09, 11:03 PM
In the comic Rick wasn't trusting of Alexandria at first either, but he did soon warm up to it. He eventually did engineer a coup of sorts and took over, but he also had the town's leader blessing in doing it because he knew the town needed Rick. They're dragging it out on the tv show. It is interesting that they're making the Group be the bad guys in the scenario. If the show was all about Alexandria and suddenly these strangers come in, plotting, we'd be hating on them. Carol would be such a villain threatening the boy. Rick would be a psychopath thinking of shooting the husband to get his wife. From our perspective we understand completely why the Group is suspicious, most of them anyway. Only those with bias having read the comic want to smack them upside the head and calm them down it's all legit. However, the show has taken liberties with differences to the comic, so we can't be certain all is well.

As for me, we're soon reaching the ending of what I read of the comic. I've only read it the big volume form, Volumes 1 & 2. It ends with the Group firmly in control of Alexandria and made peaceful first contact with a neighboring city. Neegan is only mentioned briefly as a bully. I know the story continues on. RIP Glenn :smallfrown: However, had it ended with Alexandria I would have been happily satisfied.

Pex
2015-03-15, 11:15 PM
The Priest, being The Stupid, naturally does something stupid and betrays The Group. He just doesn't get it, naturally, because he's The Stupid. It's a tautology but also the definition of The Stupid. He has no power or influence within The Group to have a Plan go wrong, so betrayal is his only option to manifest his stupidness. The irony is he isn't wrong. The Group is planning to take over, part of them at least. It's just that the townspeople are so naive and weak The Group has to, which is their motivation. Miss Leader already noticed they're getting into positions of power. Maggie put a positive spin on it. The Priest counters with a negative. It's to be determined what Miss Leader does. What happened to the field group will be a factor.

No doubt Glen will tell about the Coward costing the lives of Noah and Leader's son. He'll want to become the leader of the Supplies Run. Abraham becomes leader of Construction due to the former leader's cowardice who acknowledged Abraham should be. Even though Rick and Carol plan for an armed takeover, they're taking over instead by the incompetence of the townspeople. The question is whether they'll stick to the comic and have Miss Leader disregard The Priest and see the wisdom of The Group taking over or go against the comic and have her fight back. Applying the idea The Group are the bad guys here plays for an ironic story that it can't be dismissed.

The doctor being a wife and child beater is taken directly from the comic. The comic's Leader supported Rick. What Miss Leader does is still to be determined, but I do appreciate that in the comic the Leader wasn't an Evil Bastard Leader of the Safe Haven Community that is stereotypical in zombie apocalypse stories. Miss Leader isn't either, yay! It's just a question of whose side she chooses, The Priest or The Group.

Somebloke
2015-03-23, 01:30 PM
...thank you Michonne.

And Rick, please stop Shaneing it up. Once was bad enough.

thorgrim29
2015-03-24, 11:43 AM
Holy crap he totally is! I hadn't noticed that. Now who would be better placed to tell him that?

BannedInSchool
2015-03-24, 12:17 PM
Although he's not wrong that they're a bunch of fools inviting disaster. :smalltongue:

Somebloke
2015-03-25, 02:49 AM
Yeah, but he's shaping up to be the disaster.

It's interesting to note that it's him that's having the hardest time to adapt to the PDST that they're experiencing now that they're back in civilisation.

stcfg
2015-03-25, 10:10 PM
He just can't to let go of the Ricktatorship.

Shekinah
2015-03-30, 09:55 AM
Glad to see that Morgan is back. I missed him.

Carol's little grin was getting on my nerves.

That guy who was talking with Morgan in the beginning looked really familiar. I know I've seen that actor before. Anyone have a clue? It's driving me crazy.

Glad to see Abraham and Eugene are on good terms once again.

Cheesegear
2015-03-30, 10:17 AM
That guy who was talking with Morgan in the beginning looked really familiar. I know I've seen that actor before. Anyone have a clue? It's driving me crazy.

Are you from Australia/NZ or England? He was in Home & Away (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4301412/) for a bit, I guess.

Psyren
2015-03-30, 03:52 PM
So I know the thread is spoilered, but I just wanted to let the OP know that if you mouse over the thread title by accident, that first sentence pops up unbidden and pretty plainly. Just something to be mindful of when spoilering threads - maybe that could be edited further down into the post?

BannedInSchool
2015-03-30, 05:55 PM
Hmm, may be a record for number of times in an episode one said to the TV, "SHOOT HIM!!!". :smallbiggrin:

Kato
2015-03-30, 06:19 PM
Urgh... you know, I won't say this was the worst way the finale could have gone but... so. much. stupid.

Okay, so Daryl and whatshisname got stuck in the car because apparently zombies as always are totally quiet and odorless until you see them when the doors open. And wow that is a lot of zombies out of nowhere. Good thing someone put a handy note in that car... I guess for people who check the car first. Who'd have done that...? Maybe the comic explains. And effing Morgan shows up THE MOTHEREFFING SECOND they decide to go out. What a coincidence!

And Glenn, wow, not only can he teleport after getting shot in the shoulder, he can fight of at least three zombies after being shot and pinned to the ground. Luckily the other guy relied on the zombies to finish him. Oh, and he managed to catch up with the guy, of course. I would make an Asian joke here but...

Gabriel is still nuts, I know, but honestly, the single guard at the gate goes away and doesn't even return after telling him pointlessly to close the gate? I know the people are kind of easy going but GUARD THE EFFING GATE! It's the one important thing in this town.

And Rick, what do you do when you suspect there are zombies in town? Go after them alone, basically unarmed, of course. Asking people for help or warning them would bea massive waste of time, right? RIGHT?! Lucky you are immortal, or this might have ended really poorly.

I'm not sure how evil Carol is at this point... probably like a 7 or 8, but after the cookie scene, she now managed to drive a grown man crazy. Well, crazier than he was before.

SaintRidley
2015-03-30, 06:58 PM
Kato, basically the ending where Pete kills the leader's spouse and the leader gives Rick the go ahead to kill Pete is the only part of the episode to have any basis at all in anything that happened in the comics.

Pex
2015-03-30, 10:28 PM
TV Alexandria follows the comic after all, to a point. TV Governor did not chop off Rick's hand. TV Alexandria Wife Beater does not shoot Carl's eye out. Still, he does kill the Leader's spouse. Rick kills the Wife Beater. The Townspeople accede to Rick. The Group takes over. Carol is Evil, but in a Good way not literally. Obligatory they needed Michonne to clarify her knockout of Rick was nothing personal and she's still his friend on his side. The Wolves will be next season's Evil Bad Guys Who Just Have To Ruin Everything Because They're Fornicating Donkey Cavities. Poor Poncho Guy Daryl and Aaron never found.

On a personal note with the Group taking over Alexandria being the last I've read of the comic, I know nothing of storylines to come and will get to enjoy the show from that perspective.

Turns out I was wrong thinking the Girl sneaking out to betray Alexandria to the previously mentioned exiled. Fair enough. They still might be associated with The Wolves next season, but for now they're a red herring danger.

Lord Vukodlak
2015-03-30, 10:33 PM
Urgh... you know, I won't say this was the worst way the finale could have gone but... so. much. stupid.

Okay, so Daryl and whatshisname got stuck in the car because apparently zombies as always are totally quiet and odorless until you see them when the doors open. And wow that is a lot of zombies out of nowhere. Good thing someone put a handy note in that car... I guess for people who check the car first. Who'd have done that...? Maybe the comic explains. And effing Morgan shows up THE MOTHEREFFING SECOND they decide to go out. What a coincidence!

And Glenn, wow, not only can he teleport after getting shot in the shoulder, he can fight of at least three zombies after being shot and pinned to the ground. Luckily the other guy relied on the zombies to finish him. Oh, and he managed to catch up with the guy, of course. I would make an Asian joke here but...

Gabriel is still nuts, I know, but honestly, the single guard at the gate goes away and doesn't even return after telling him pointlessly to close the gate? I know the people are kind of easy going but GUARD THE EFFING GATE! It's the one important thing in this town.

And Rick, what do you do when you suspect there are zombies in town? Go after them alone, basically unarmed, of course. Asking people for help or warning them would bea massive waste of time, right? RIGHT?! Lucky you are immortal, or this might have ended really poorly.

I'm not sure how evil Carol is at this point... probably like a 7 or 8, but after the cookie scene, she now managed to drive a grown man crazy. Well, crazier than he was before.

If you live with a stench long enough you stop noticing it, if your whole world smells of rotting flesh eventually you stop smelling it. As for Morgan showing up the mothereffing second they decided to go out... yeah stuff like that only happens in thousands of TV shows, movies and books.

Glenn caught up with him because the guy was stumbling around in the dark and kept stopping to look back, and considering Glenn is the guy who fought off a zombie while duct taped to a chair his exploits in this episode shouldn't be surprising.

Part of the point of this is that the residents of the town have been lucky not smart the area was largely evacuated before the worst of the outbreak hit so only now are they walkers migrating in in large numbers. Rick can't trust them to behave responsibly if he shows up at the meeting they might not believe him. He can't risk a fight with the residents while the dead are wandering around town. So yes warning them or asking for help WOULD be a waste of time. Slamming down a dead walker and chewing them out on there stupidity IS the smart way to do things.

He avoids the panicky stupid townsfolk and proves that they need him.

SaintRidley
2015-03-31, 12:42 AM
Carl's eye wasn't going to happen during this anyway (if it ever happens in the show) because we're a bit early for that, comics-wise, if I'm remembering the sequence of events right (and I'm pretty sure I am). That happens closer to the introduction of another character we haven't met yet.

I am all around a fan of how they pulled off this season. Worked great.

Kato
2015-03-31, 06:34 AM
If you live with a stench long enough you stop noticing it, if your whole world smells of rotting flesh eventually you stop smelling it. As for Morgan showing up the mothereffing second they decided to go out... yeah stuff like that only happens in thousands of TV shows, movies and books.

Glenn caught up with him because the guy was stumbling around in the dark and kept stopping to look back, and considering Glenn is the guy who fought off a zombie while duct taped to a chair his exploits in this episode shouldn't be surprising.

Part of the point of this is that the residents of the town have been lucky not smart the area was largely evacuated before the worst of the outbreak hit so only now are they walkers migrating in in large numbers. Rick can't trust them to behave responsibly if he shows up at the meeting they might not believe him. He can't risk a fight with the residents while the dead are wandering around town. So yes warning them or asking for help WOULD be a waste of time. Slamming down a dead walker and chewing them out on there stupidity IS the smart way to do things.

He avoids the panicky stupid townsfolk and proves that they need him.

Pretty sure that's not how it works... there might be a lot of zombies but not the whole work reeks of rotting flesh. And even then, it's still something that constantly annoys me, zombies only making noise when they are on screen or when it's convenient. :smallannoyed: And there were way too many zombies way too fast in the yard. Maybe if they'd constructed the trap different I would be less angry at it. (Also: Saryl Dixon, Ghost Rider :smalltongue:
And other shows doing the same doesn't make it better. Was there any need for them to decide to go out at that point? Wouldn't it have worked just as well to have Morgan show up when they were debating their situation? And it's not like anyone was surprised by it, or were you?

At least then they had the decency to SHOW how he fought him off. Here we're just to assume he somehow did it. I guess blood loss and punches in the kidneys just ancrease Glenn's fighting power :smallannoyed:

Yeah, sure, if someone tells me there are zombies because someone left the unguraded gate open I'll argue with him first instead of looking for the zombies. Especially the half dozen people who would totally mistrust me because we are like family. And quite frankly, if I was a villager, if Rick showed up with a dead zombie and told me "yeah, he was in here. I didn't bring him through the unguarded gate to make you trust me" I would laugh my ass off before kicking him out. I mean, I guess they were planning to check with gabriel but this convenient zombie attack was laughable.

Sorry, good for you if you enjoyed it but I was more angry than fine with it.

holygroundj
2015-03-31, 10:07 AM
Honestly, morgan showing up was more of a surprise for me than what I thought was going to happen, which is the wolves are showing up.

Reverent-One
2015-03-31, 11:21 AM
And other shows doing the same doesn't make it better. Was there any need for them to decide to go out at that point? Wouldn't it have worked just as well to have Morgan show up when they were debating their situation? And it's not like anyone was surprised by it, or were you?

That whole scene where they're deciding what to do serves as character development for them, even the decision itself is rendered unneccessary. It shows that Darryl's ready to sacrifice himself for Aaron, while Aaron refuses to survive that way. They're basically best bros at this point.

And yes, I was surprised. My thought process went like "so they're going to fight their way out and Aaron is most likely going to die" => "Too late, the Wolves have shown up" => "Holy crap, Morgan?! Yes!!". That was a great moment.

stcfg
2015-03-31, 09:22 PM
Morgan was definitely the MVP of the episode. It would be interesting to see how he reacts to Rick's willingness to kill people.

Kato
2015-04-01, 05:52 AM
Honestly, morgan showing up was more of a surprise for me than what I thought was going to happen, which is the wolves are showing up.

That whole scene where they're deciding what to do serves as character development for them, even the decision itself is rendered unneccessary. It shows that Darryl's ready to sacrifice himself for Aaron, while Aaron refuses to survive that way. They're basically best bros at this point.

And yes, I was surprised. My thought process went like "so they're going to fight their way out and Aaron is most likely going to die" => "Too late, the Wolves have shown up" => "Holy crap, Morgan?! Yes!!". That was a great moment.

I guess I've seen too many... media then. It was 90% clear to me what would happen. And they could have had the character development without the intervention timed at the perfect second.
(Also, sorry, best bros after spending what, a week together? I know people can make friends fast but really...)

thompur
2015-04-01, 09:49 AM
I'm wondering if the Wolves are people who were exiled from Alexandria, or, more likely, just some of the walkers that the Wolves keep in the trucks. :smalltongue:

Cheesegear
2015-04-01, 10:40 AM
I'm wondering if the Wolves are people who were exiled from Alexandria, or, more likely, just some of the walkers that the Wolves keep in the trucks. :smalltongue:

They have that whole 'W' thing going on, which Pete's son stamped on Rick at the party. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there's a secret cult of Wolves living in Alexandria.

Maelstrom
2015-04-01, 11:36 AM
I'm still curious as how they are tying the 'Wolves' in to the comic. I know there's the 'Little Pig, little pig' reference there, but that went on for what? 8-10 pages? Or if the Wolves=Saviors cause it sounds 'cooler'...

holygroundj
2015-04-01, 01:22 PM
They have that whole 'W' thing going on, which Pete's son stamped on Rick at the party. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there's a secret cult of Wolves living in Alexandria.

I'm pretty sure the stamp was an A, not a W. Still, the A was almost the same font as the W, so I'd not be surprised at all of that's the origin of the letter. after all, a W is just two upside down As.

SaintRidley
2015-04-02, 10:27 AM
The wolves don't have to tie in to the comics in any way. And they'll certainly keep the Saviors' name. The story gets kind of full of biblical allusion with regard to names, and they aren't going to take that away.

Psyren
2015-04-05, 08:13 PM
Just got caught up!

I was curious about the "A" stamp too. Wasn't that the same A that was graffitied on the church? I thought the Terminus survivors did that, and as far as I saw they had no connection with Alexandria.

And Gabriel needs to die, badly, like yesterday. Nicholas too. Sorry Morgan, not all life is precious, we learned that in S2 if not before.