PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Gear for a T-rex

Qc Storm
2015-02-08, 10:43 PM
One of my players is a level 9 Cavalier Beast Rider with a T-rex mount. It currently has a Belt of Strength +4 and Adamantine Horseshoes of Crushing Blows (re fluffed as tooth fillings) as well as some basic armor.

He likes his T-rex a lot and tends to spend money on it. What should he buy next?

Invader
2015-02-08, 10:57 PM
Not sure if there's a PF equivalent but a beefed up healing collar could be good.

Troacctid
2015-02-08, 11:07 PM
Some manner of continuous protection from evil effect. The bonus to AC and saves is great, but the important thing is that you do not want your T-rex getting mind-controlled.

Oneris
2015-02-08, 11:12 PM
One of these
http://www.bacasafety.com/sys/img.aspx?w=220&h=220&pc=BR0169

Bob of Mage
2015-02-09, 12:12 AM
Maybe some way to feed it without having to kill large numbers of cattle each day. As far as options go the rules say a T-Rex can use anything that goes in the armor, belt, chest, eyes, headband, neck, ring, shoulders, or wrist slots. Maybe a Headband of Vast Intelligence to make the T-Rex smart enough to do more things (that is if he didn't invest in raising its INT up to 3 or more yet).

Just a silly side idea, but if he got powerful enough Headband and invested all the ability score increases into to INT the T-Rex might end up smarter then it's rider (at least by level 20 when it would have atleast 6 INT). Oddly I think the Awaken spell would still work and the T-Rex at that point might might a usable Wizard NPC cohort (would gain 3d6 to INT which would mean 9-24 INT). That's right a Wizard T-Rex cohort! Now it just needs a mount to ride on for itself.....

(Un)Inspired
2015-02-09, 01:16 AM
A platform with some of those lasers from the Tech guide. Pew Pew!

lsfreak
2015-02-09, 01:33 AM
Maybe some way to feed it without having to kill large numbers of cattle each day.

What If? XKCD (https://what-if.xkcd.com/78/) answered something about this, and most of the murderhobos I've seen could actually support a small pack of T-rexes.

Qc Storm
2015-02-09, 02:44 AM
Not sure if there's a PF equivalent but a beefed up healing collar could be good.

Some manner of continuous protection from evil effect. The bonus to AC and saves is great, but the important thing is that you do not want your T-rex getting mind-controlled.

We're not too heavy on the homebrew, so these are out. Unless there is an item that does grant such effects in pathfinder.

As for nutrition, I can guarantee our T-rex is very well fed with a varied diet consisting of basically anything that is alive. We're not extremely good-aligned either, and devoured victims leave no evidence behind.

Mostly looking for items with passive effects, since dinosaurs are obviously too dumb to activate them. Main problem seems to be will saves, as both the mount and rider are basically mind-control ragdolls. The rider's not so bad since we've worked on this weakness, but a T-rex is more difficult.

His feats are currently power attack, improved sunder, improved overrun and charge through. He and his cavalier are typically charging at dudes with lances and biting them and stuff.

M Placeholder
2015-02-09, 03:35 AM
2000 bottles of Bitterleaf Oil (to keep scales in tip top condition)
A polymorph collar (so he can be taken into a castle, and made smaller in the event that he gets mind controlled - make sure only your players know how to activate it)
Bag of holding (to put the T-rex in)

Fouredged Sword
2015-02-09, 01:51 PM
It needs some weapons to wield in it's teeny tiny arms. I'm thinking nun-chucks.

M Placeholder
2015-02-09, 01:56 PM
It needs some weapons to wield in it's teeny tiny arms. I'm thinking nun-chucks.

Nah, a glaive, for the reach :smallwink:

Telonius
2015-02-09, 02:00 PM
Artificer's Monocle. Because a monocle on a T-Rex is just too awesome to pass up.

Fouredged Sword
2015-02-09, 03:31 PM
Or maybe one of the items that grants use of a combat maneuver. Maybe sudden leap.

Troacctid
2015-02-09, 03:45 PM
We're not too heavy on the homebrew, so these are out. Unless there is an item that does grant such effects in pathfinder.

You don't need homebrew--just use the custom magic item pricing rules (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items#TOC-Magic-Item-Gold-Piece-Values), which estimate its value at 4000 gp.

Alternately, insert a clear spindle ioun stone (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/h-l/ioun-stones/clear-spindle-ioun-stone) into a wayfinder (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/wayfinder-standard). 4500 gp to protect it from all mental control (not just evil), and you also no longer need to feed or water it, which is also something you're going to want on a tyrannosaur. You can also get the effect for cheaper if you use a cracked stone.

Oddman80
2015-02-10, 03:59 PM
well, first off... I assume he has not traded away his "tactician" class skill. But if he had, a Horsemaster's Sadle would at least let him share his teamwork feats with the T-Rex.

Now, that said... two words: DIRE COLLAR!

at 1000 gp each, he should pick up between 2-5 of of them depending on how many encounters/day you tend to run.... then, switch out the collar after each battle. Time to get HUGE!

Oddman80
2015-02-10, 04:11 PM
Gloves of Arrow Snaring! because tiny arms that can somehow manage to catch arrows flying at it is hilarious!

Collar of the True Companion... let him where is for a weak, and become awakened?

Tentacle Cloak - yielding 2 more grab attempts per full attack.

Longarm Bracers - Increase Reach?

Qc Storm
2015-02-10, 10:36 PM
Thanks, these are great. Though Longarm bracers seem pretty specific about using arm-related natural attacks. Of which the T-rex is not... proficient.

The group also agrees that a mere animal is not intelligent enough to activate magic items. However the gloves of arrow snaring are a very original use of the item, and the Dire Collar is more than perfect. We'll be sure to buy the Greater one.

Oddman80
2015-02-11, 01:08 AM
Thanks, these are great. Though Longarm bracers seem pretty specific about using arm-related natural attacks. Of which the T-rex is not... proficient...

Well... Yeah.... Because he's got short little arms. Extend those bad boys an extra 5', now you can make some claw attacks!

Just joking - I totally spaced out with the long arm bracer recommendation... Not sure what I was thinking... though it would be cool if you could sacrifice the T-Rex's wrist slot and put the bracers on the tentacle cloak's tentacles.... Then those tentacles could really shoot out and grab an unsuspecting victim - MWUH HAH HAH HAH HAH!

Okay, now I am totally picturing a combo T-Rex / Omega Red...