PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Multiweapon fighting

bradley.m.morto
2015-02-08, 11:38 PM
So, with multiweapon fighting does it matter whether or not the weapons are light? Also, I'm playing a Thri-Kreen; how would using two two handed weapons work?

BowStreetRunner
2015-02-08, 11:52 PM
All this feat does is reduce the penalties for fighting with multiple weapons. Wielding a light weapon penalty in your off-hand also reduces this penalty, and the two (Multi-weapon fighting feat and Light weapon in off-hand) both stack. Note that the Multi-weapon fighting feat will not stack with the Two-weapon fighting feat however.

bradley.m.morto
2015-02-08, 11:54 PM
So, if I have four shortswords what would my penalty be?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2015-02-08, 11:57 PM
The normal penalties for fighting with two or more weapons (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#twoWeaponFighting) are -6 to hit with the main hand, and -10 to hit with the off hand(s).

Multiweapon Fighting (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#multiweaponFighting) reduces this penalty by two for the main hand, and six for the off hands, for a total penalty of -4 to hit with every attack.

Using only light offhand weapons reduces all of your penalties by two points. If one or more offhand weapons are not light, then you take a -4 penalty to all attacks, if all of your offhand weapons are light, you take only a -2 penalty to all attacks.

A two-handed weapon as an offhand weapon is not light, so your attack penalty for fighting with more than one weapon is a -4 to all attacks. Two-handed weapons normally add half your Str bonus to damage in addition to the normal Str bonus. Offhand attacks normally only add half your Str bonus to damage instead of your full Str bonus, so if half your Str bonus is added again then your offhand attacks add your full Str bonus to damage when made with a two-handed weapon. However, consider the following:

Greatsword main hand at -4 to hit, 2d6 + 1.5x Str damage.
Greatsword offhand at -4 to hit, 2d6 + 1x Str damage.
Total 4d6 + 2.5x Str damage, at -4 to hit.

Greatsword main hand at -2 to hit, 2d6 + 1.5x Str damage.
Shortsword offhand at -2 to hit, 1d6 + 0.5x Str damage.
Shortsword offhand at -2 to hit, 1d6 + 0.5x Str damage.
Total 4d6 + 2.5x Str damage, at -2 to hit.

Using two light weapons for offhand attacks instead of a two-handed weapon deals the same amount of damage, but all of your attacks are more likely to hit.

So, if I have four shortswords what would my penalty be?

Four shortswords would be a -2 penalty to all attacks, just like it would be for a character using TWF.

Furthermore, four shortswords would deal damage identical to the above examples (4d6 for four weapons, 1x Str main hand, 0.5x Str three times for offhands) and have the same chance to hit as the second example above. If you use four Broadblade Shortswords from Complete Adventurer (and note the errata (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/errata) reduces the dodge bonus to +1) and fight defensively with 5+ ranks in Tumble, you would be taking an extra -4 to hit for +7 AC.

Solaris
2015-02-08, 11:57 PM
-2 to each, same as if it were just a pair of short swords on a two-armed character.

bradley.m.morto
2015-02-09, 12:07 AM
Thanks, guys.

Zanos
2015-02-09, 12:16 AM
-stuff-
Two handed Weapons add 1 1/2 str mod to damage, they don't increase the damage you add by 1/2 str mod. I'm fairly certain Wielding two greatswords with 8 arms would have each attack doing 2d6+1 1/2 str mod, not one at 1 1/2 str mod and the rest at 1 * str mod. I know that Diopsids specifically get 1 1/2 str mod to two handed weapons when they dual wield them, and I believe that is also the general rule.

Some other things:
Power attack returns are better when you are using two two handed weapons.
You're better at piercing DR.
Your DM might let you use the Oversized TWF feat to reduce the penalty, but YMMV.