PDA

View Full Version : The Howling Arena: Site 3 [IC]

dirigibee
2015-02-09, 03:56 AM
http://i.imgur.com/kI7wElh.png
Today is a good day to go negative hp!

I'll introduce combatants, declare the winners and clear the arena after matches.

Your first post should contain your RP introduction and your initiative roll - and no other mechanical actions.
After both combatants have rolled initiative you can take your turns as normal. If you use the central glyph to summon a creature, roll initiative for it, and I will control the summon in the new turn order.

Please include relevant information about yourself and your minions in a stat block in the spoiler of every post.

[Player Name]
HP 1/1
AC (AC, F, T) 10, 8, 6
Saves (F, R, W) 1, 2, 3
DR 1/good
Resistances 5/fire
Weapon 1 Morningstar (+1 1d8+1 x2)
Weapon 2
Weapon 3
Active Effect 1 Evil Devotion (10rnd)
Active Effect 2
Active Effect 3
Location g1

Actions
[Player Name] Move to g3 (move)
[Player Name] Law Devotion to AC (swift)
[Player Name] Cast Cure Light Wounds on self (standard)
[Minion 1] to g3 (move)
[Minion 1] attacks [Opponent Name] (standard)
Corner to corner line of sight rules are in effect, and if things get contentious with bows we WILL break out Thorak's theorem (it's like pythagoreas' theorem, except you stab someone with your ruler afterwards). Please don't try and make any crazy flying attacks that mean we have to work out angles in 3D space, nobody wants to bring killonometry into this. The spaces on top of the walls are not directly lit, but as a sillhouette against the sky combatants gain no concealment.

Pay attention to what your character can and can't see. If you cast a fireball at a hidden opponent you had no way of seeing, you WILL attract Thorak's wrath. Anyone who feels like they're being cheesed or metagamed can make a short prayer to Thorak as a free action before using the summoning glyph. Thorak won't play favourites, but whatever comes out should at least have the ability to attack both combatants.

OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?396919-The-Howling-Arena-The-Stands-OOC&p=18775605) Recruitment Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?396792-3-5e-The-Howling-Arena-Sand-amp-Glory&p=18771637)

Arena Link

http://i.imgur.com/MOh9qRJ.png (http://i.imgur.com/7jZ2uAS.jpg)

Coordinates are case sensitive!

Low-Light Vision Version Link

http://i.imgur.com/Ztk7Y4Q.png (http://i.imgur.com/uRDKUOG.jpg)

Blue areas are shadowy to low-light vision.

Walls are 10 feet high and 5 feet thick, made from rough stone and flat topped. They can be climbed with a DC15 check and walked on as if on normal ground. The walls block line of sight and line of effect, but not telepathy. Nobody on top of a wall can benefit from concealment derived from the surrounding light level, but the inner edge of the wall is considered a low obstacle (grants cover from attackers within 30 feet)
The ground is made of smooth stone, but dusted with a layer of fine, dry sand. It's easy to walk or run on.
The air in the arena is still (no wind), and the arena is silent except for the occupants.
The arena is open to the sky, but the walls still block LoS and LoE even for flying combatants.
Leaving the arena for any reason is the same as yielding the match, apart from being unwillingly teleported out by your opponent, which will incur Thorak's wrath. Bull rushing your opponent out from the top of a wall is fine.
The large central glyph is the only light source. The marked areas are shadowy, and the blue areas are shadowy to low-light vision. Combatants can also bring or create their own light sources which work using a radius as normal. If the glyph is ever covered, damaged or deactivated, then the entire arena will become dark. The glyph has a hardness of 10 and a HP of 30, and can be deactivated with three non-consecutive DC20 spellcraft or arcane knowledge checks.

Walking or riding (not flying) over either edge glyph will heal the combatant for 5 hit points. Once a combatant has been healed by a glyph, that glyph will ignore them.
While standing or mounted on one of the 4 central squares of the centre glyph, a combatant can activate it as a standard action. This summons a creature to either point A or B (their choice). The aim of the creature will be to kill both combatants.
The match ends when one opponent is disabled and below 0 hit points.
If there is an obvious stalemate for 5 rounds (such as if both combatants are hiding from each other), Thorak will become enraged and activate the summoning glyph.
Diagonal movement is always 5 feet, not 5/10/5/10.
It is possible to move diagonally past a corner.

dirigibee
2015-02-09, 04:00 AM
The next match will be between Xorb The Mighty (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=88213), Human Warblade who will start at point A (e11),
and Olan Gray (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=1116117), a veteran of the arena, who begins at point B (z5).

The air is still, and the sounds of the crowded spectators have been muffled into near silence by protective magics.

If you have familiars, minions or companions they must start in any of the squares adjacent to you (your choice) and act on your turn. Please roll for initiative, and begin.

AnonCastillo
2015-02-09, 06:59 AM
AnonCastillo/Olan Gray
HP 4/4
AC (AC, F, T) 14 10 14
Saves (F, R, W) 0 4 2
Weapon 1 Longbow (+4 1d8 20x3)
Weapon 2 Longsword (+0 1d8 19-20x2)
Light 1/1 Ray of Frost 1/1 Resistance 1/1
color spray 1/1 magic weapon 1/1 shield 1/1 mage armor 1/1

Initiative: [roll0]

JBarca
2015-02-09, 10:01 AM
Xorb the Mighty
HP 14/14
AC (AC, F, T) 16, 14, 12
Saves (F, R, W) 4, 3, -1
Weapon 1 Ranseur (+5 2d4+6 x3)
Weapon 2 Composite Longbow (+3 1d8+4 x3)
Weapon 3
Active Effect 1 Stance of Clarity
Active Effect 2
Active Effect 3
Location e11

Xorb smiles and waves as he takes his positions, twirling his weapon all the while.

[roll0]

AnonCastillo
2015-02-09, 08:31 PM
AnonCastillo/Olan Gray
HP 4/4
AC (AC, F, T) 18 14 14
Saves (F, R, W) 0 4 2
color spray 1/1 magic weapon 1/1 shield 1/1 mage armor 0/1
Active: mage armor 10 rounds

Move to w10
Cast mage armor on self

Olan moves to the entrance to the main arena and casts a protective spell, watching for his opponent.

JBarca
2015-02-09, 08:57 PM
Xorb moves forward at a run, clearly excited to enter the fray!

Xorb the Mighty
HP 14/14
AC (AC, F, T) 16, 14, 12 (all +2 vs Olan)
Saves (F, R, W) 4, 3, -1
Weapon 3
Active Effect 1 Stance of Clarity (Declared against Olan)
Active Effect 2
Active Effect 3
Location e11

Double move to l8, declare my opponent as the target of Stance of Clarity

AnonCastillo
2015-02-09, 10:30 PM
Olan steps back around the corner behind the wall and casts another defensive spell. He waits for his opponent to approach.

AnonCastillo/Olan Gray
HP 4/4
AC (AC, F, T) 22 18 14
Saves (F, R, W) 0 4 2
color spray 1/1 magic weapon 1/1 shield 0/1 mage armor 0/1
Active: mage armor 9 rounds
Active: shield 10 rounds

Move to x9
Cast shield
Immediate action to jaunt up to the top of the wall if he sees Xorb round the corner

JBarca
2015-02-10, 12:22 AM
Xorb moves forward and away from his opponent's area for a few steps, then nods. "Just as I suspected! Even the mighty veterans fear my prowess! No matter! I'll smoke you out!"

The warrior moves to the summoning circle and calls for Thorak to force a fair fight!"
Xorb the Mighty
HP 14/14
Saves (F, R, W) 4, 3, -1
Weapon 3
Active Effect 2
Active Effect 3
Location e11

Move to the center of the circle, Summon the monster!
Initiative for creature, summoned to side B [roll0]

dirigibee
2015-02-10, 01:23 AM
Ah, Xorb The Mighty doesn't like Olan hiding in his home area, he's used the summoning glyph. It's okay, Xorb. Thorak doesn't like hiding either, he doesn't care much for fairness though. He mostly just likes blood.

What will he send? Euuuh.. some kind of monstrous spider.

Click click.. tsst click..

The spider appears as if from nowhere at z5 at looks around sheepishly.

dirigibee
2015-02-10, 01:41 AM
In case you were wondering, the spider is known to his fellows as Hsster. If Hsster's spot beats Olan's Hide (please roll hide) then he'll attack, otherwise he scuttles up the wall to the west.

Hsster's spot to see Olan: [roll0] (subtract 2 from this for distance)

If he can see Olan:
Move to y8
Hsster's hide, to see if Olan sees him coming: [roll1]
Hsster's move silently, to see if Olan hears him coming: [roll2]
Hsster's bite attack: [roll3]
Hsster's bite damage: [roll4]
If hit, roll a fort save (DC10) or take: [roll5] Strength damage from poison

If he can't see Olan:
Move & climb to w5.

Abrupt jaunt is immediate, so you can use it on Hsster's turn without readying it, but only if you see or hear him coming.

AnonCastillo
2015-02-10, 09:34 AM
Hide: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

I can't possibly make the spot check to see it coming, apparently.

Fort save if needed: [roll2]

Edit: It doesn't see me so I guess it moves to w5.

AnonCastillo
2015-02-10, 09:43 AM
Olan stands perfectly still in the darkness as the spider appears and skitters past him to climb up the wall. Once the spider is on top of the wall, he sighs in relief, amazed that his luck is so much better this time. He casts one more spell, enchanting his longbow, then ducks out and runs behind the stone enclave in the middle of the arena, hoping the spider will keep Xorb distracted just long enough that Olan can take him by surprise.

AnonCastillo/Olan Gray
HP 4/4
AC (AC, F, T) 22 18 14
Saves (F, R, W) 0 4 2
color spray 1/1 magic weapon 0/1 shield 0/1 mage armor 0/1
Active: mage armor 1 hour (I had the duration confused with shield in my last post lol)
Active: shield 9 rounds
Active: magic weapon 10 rounds

Cast magic weapon on longbow.
Move to r13
If either Xorb or a monster comes within 10 feet, jaunt up to the top of the wall (q12)

JBarca
2015-02-10, 10:14 AM
"There you are! Haha! You will fall now, for the glory of my people!"

Xorbs runs forward, hoping to corner his opponent.

Xorb the Mighty
HP 14/14
Saves (F, R, W) 4, 3, -1
Weapon 3
Active Effect 2
Active Effect 3
Location s13

Double move to s13 (following the opponent, stop when I see him, which should be here; can't do anything after that)

dirigibee
2015-02-10, 09:51 PM
Seeing a figure run in to the shadows south of him, Hsster scuttles along the wall and down its arena-facing side towards the two figures. Hsster usually liked to attack solitary prey, but he could tell the two humanoids were distracted with their own squabble.

Double move to t12.

AnonCastillo
2015-02-10, 11:48 PM
Olan disappears as Xorb approaches and reappears on the wall above him. With Xorb in close range but unable to reach him, Olan holds out a hand and speaks an incantation, and light assaults Xorb's senses.

AnonCastillo/Olan Gray
HP 4/4
AC (AC, F, T) 22 18 14
Saves (F, R, W) 0 4 2
color spray 0/1 magic weapon 0/1 shield 0/1 mage armor 0/1
Active: mage armor 1 hour (I had the duration confused with shield in my last post lol)
Active: shield 8 rounds
Active: magic weapon 9 rounds

Location is q12 due to jaunting during Xorb's turn.
Cast color spray at Xorb (DC 17 will save or unconscious for 1d4 rounds, then blind and stunned for 1d4 rounds, then stunned for 1 round)

JBarca
2015-02-11, 10:23 AM
I think you're still in my reach, meaning I'll take an AoO when that spell is cast (Option 1). And since you've already Jaunt'd this turn, you don't have an immediate action to get away from this attack. Either way, I'll roll that, but include the Will save in case I'm wrong (Option 2). I'll take my actual turn once I know whether or not I've won with this AoO.

Option 1: Xorb jabs his ranseur forward as his foe begins to cast a spell, hoping to disrupt him.
Attack Olan [roll0] (Crit if needed [roll1])
Damage [roll2]

Option 2:Xorb covers his eyes as the light flashes toward him, cowering away from the blast.
Will Save, using Moment of Perfect Mind [roll3]

Xorb the Mighty
HP 14/14
Saves (F, R, W) 4, 3, -1
Weapon 3
Active Effect 2
Active Effect 3
Location s13

dirigibee
2015-02-11, 10:59 AM
The way I read it, Olan is not within reach of Xorb.

If Olan were on the ground he would be within the 10ft reach of a medium ranseur. Because he's on top of a 10ft high wall, Xorb would need to be directly adjacent (up, down, left or right) to get an aoo here

JBarca
2015-02-11, 04:33 PM
The way I read it, Olan is not within reach of Xorb.

If Olan were on the ground he would be within the 10ft reach of a medium ranseur. Because he's on top of a 10ft high wall, Xorb would need to be directly adjacent (up, down, left or right) to get an aoo here

Right, but remember that diagonals do not add any extra distance with reach weapons, unlike normal.

Note: Small and Medium creatures wielding reach weapons threaten all squares 10 feet (2 squares) away, even diagonally. (This is an exception to the rule that 2 squares of diagonal distance is measured as 15 feet.)
Two diagonal squares from where I am (that is, r12 up as one square from my current position up and over diagonally, and q12 as one square diagonally up and over from there). Given, you asked to not deal with all sorts of strange height-based measurements in the arena, so if you'd rather just say "you can't reach," I suppose that's fine(ish).

IF I could not have gotten the AoO on Olan, then my save was sufficient, and I will take the following actions:

Xorb steps away from the spider and toward his opponent, then stabs upward, trying to catch Olan with his blade. He then turns and faces the vermin, readying himself.

Attacking my foe, then switching my Stance to defending against the spider.
Attack: [roll0]; Crit Confirm [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Also, I'm not sure if this is how Immediate actions work (and I'm reasonably sure Olan will Jaunt away), but if my attack is interrupted, do I still have my standard action? If so, I'd like to redirect the attack to the spider. If I have to do the same action, then the normal attack. If I am allowed to choose my standard action, then I'll use Stone Bones against the spider (if I hit, I get DR 5).
Sorry for all the "if this then" clauses... We're dealing with immediate actions, and those get tricky.

Xorb the Mighty
HP 14/14
AC (AC, F, T) 16, 14, 12 (all +2 vs Spider)
Saves (F, R, W) 4, 3, -1
Weapon 3
Active Effect 1 Stance of Clarity (Declared against Spider)
Active Effect 2
Active Effect 3
Location r13

Eloel
2015-02-11, 04:43 PM
Right, but remember that diagonals do not add any extra distance with reach weapons, unlike normal.

Two diagonal squares from where I am (that is, r12 up as one square from my current position up and over diagonally, and q12 as one square diagonally up and over from there). Given, you asked to not deal with all sorts of strange height-based measurements in the arena, so if you'd rather just say "you can't reach," I suppose that's fine(ish).

You don't get AoO against people who have cover against you. You may or may not have reach to him, but I'm 100% that he has cover.

dirigibee
2015-02-11, 05:00 PM

I didn't remember, thanks. I got hung up on the fact that in real space he's 20 feet away from you, and with a 10ft polearm that's a stretch, but happy to follow the rules. Ignore my last post, but not Eloel, he knows what he's talking about.

Immediate actions happen whenever the player wants, even on someone elses turn. If Olan does it on his turn it uses up his swift action, and if he does it on your turn it consumes his swift action for his next turn. He has 4? more uses of abrupt jaunt today, and can't use it to react to attacks he doesn't see coming, or at all if he's flat footed. Your actions aren't affected.

JBarca
2015-02-11, 05:41 PM
You don't get AoO against people who have cover against you. You may or may not have reach to him, but I'm 100% that he has cover.

Ah, good call. I'd forgotten about that.

Immediate actions happen whenever the player wants, even on someone elses turn. If Olan does it on his turn it uses up his swift action, and if he does it on your turn it consumes his swift action for his next turn. He has 4? more uses of abrupt jaunt today, and can't use it to react to attacks he doesn't see coming, or at all if he's flat footed. Your actions aren't affected.
Well, that's unfortunate. I guess it's just a game of dodge the spider until he runs out of Jaunts, then. Sounds fun.

AnonCastillo
2015-02-12, 08:13 PM
Olan fires an arrow down from his vantage point atop the wall and then takes a few steps back away from him, trying to keep Xorb between him and the spider.

AnonCastillo/Olan Gray
HP 4/4
AC (AC, F, T) 22 18 14
Saves (F, R, W) 0 4 2
Weapon 1 Longbow (+5 1d8+1 20x3)
Active: mage armor 1 hour
Active: shield 8 rounds
Active: magic weapon 9 rounds

Attack Xorb with longbow, attack: [roll0] damage: [roll1]
Move to n12

Sorry for being away for a couple days. It doesn't look like the spider moved so I feel like I'm jumping the gun but there hasn't been a reply in over a day.

Eloel
2015-02-12, 08:28 PM
AnonCastillo/Olan Gray

Fixed that for you

JBarca
2015-02-12, 09:17 PM
Olan fires an arrow down from his vantage point atop the wall and then takes a few steps back away from him, trying to keep Xorb between him and the spider.
Does this mean you're not Jaunting away from that last attack? Because in that case, I hit you. Which KO's you.
EDIT: Oh. Cover again, I guess.

AnonCastillo
2015-02-13, 12:19 AM
Fixed that for you

Thanks.

Does this mean you're not Jaunting away from that last attack? Because in that case, I hit you. Which KO's you.
EDIT: Oh. Cover again, I guess.

Yeah. I figured I had a better chance at range.

JBarca
2015-02-15, 04:47 PM
So I've been waiting on the little arachnid to act... Should I continue doing so, or ignore it and continue the fight without it?

dirigibee
2015-02-17, 08:31 AM
Sorry, chaotic weekend. I'll move the spider this time, in future, if I don't move the summon in 24 hours you can take your turn if you want (or wait, if its to your advantage). I feel bad about holding things up, I'll clarify this in the OOC thread too.

Seeing a figure clearly sillhouetted against the sky on top of the wall, Hsster scuttles forward, scaling the wall after it.

Spider moves to r12.

JBarca
2015-02-17, 03:17 PM
Xorb runs forward, aiming to skewer his foe.

[roll0]
Damage: [roll]2d4+6
Crit? [roll1]

Swift Action: Switch Stance to Olan.

EDIT: My bad on the roller. Didn't matter, though.

Xorb the Mighty
HP 14/14
AC (AC, F, T) 16, 14, 12 (all +2 vs Olan) (Temp -2 for charging)
Saves (F, R, W) 4, 3, -1
Weapon 3
Active Effect 2
Active Effect 3
Location o13

AnonCastillo
2015-02-19, 09:30 AM
Olan steps back carefully and disappears down to the other side of the wall, hoping the spider will choose to pounce on Xorb instead of him. He readies his bow in case Xorb comes after him first.

AnonCastillo/Olan Gray
HP 4/4
AC (AC, F, T) 22 18 14
Saves (F, R, W) 0 4 2
Weapon 1 Longbow (+5 1d8+1 20x3)
Active: mage armor 1 hour
Active: shield 7 rounds
Active: magic weapon 8 rounds

5 foot step to m11
Jaunt to l9
Readied action to shoot Xorb if Olan sees him, attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Additional d20 in case of crit confirmation or whatever else: [roll2]

JBarca
2015-02-19, 04:11 PM
Move to l11, attack Olan
[roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Xorb growls as he sees his foe disappear. "Coward! Stand and fight me!"

He move around the corner to attack Olan, sidestepping the incoming arrow and jabbing low with his blade.

Xorb the Mighty
HP 14/14
Saves (F, R, W) 4, 3, -1
Weapon 3
Active Effect 2
Active Effect 3
Location l11

AnonCastillo
2015-02-19, 08:21 PM
I believe that takes me down.

JBarca
2015-02-19, 08:32 PM
Which ends the match, right? I don't need to exterminate the spider? I'll post assuming that's the case.

Good match. Basically came down to dodging each other (and the critter) after that failed Color Spray. I enjoyed it, and hopefully you did too.
Should be a bit more... lopsided if we meet later on in the tourny, though, so I'll enjoy my win while I can :smalltongue:. Best of luck in future matches.

As Xorb fells his opponent, he lifts his ranseur in the air and spins it once, holding a fist above his head in triumph for the crowds.

He then bows quickly to his fallen foe, waves again at the crowd, and waits to be escorted out of the arena.