PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next 5e Homebrew - DiBastet's Subclasses (of Alancia)

DiBastet
2015-02-09, 09:54 AM
Taken down for revision

Inchoroi
2015-02-14, 05:02 PM
I am eagerly awaiting the rogue subclasses.

Rfkannen
2015-02-14, 05:34 PM
I would totaly play a charm domain cleric.

DiBastet
2015-02-15, 09:51 AM
Well, that may take a while Inchoroi. Hope you don't reach maximum possible age before I get there.

Rfkannen
2015-02-16, 03:06 PM
Let see going through each archetype one by one.

Dervish dancer; a kind of thing that I was sad to not be able to do core wise. Pretty good implementation, I could see myself playing this. I am pretty sure there is a feat which is elabrote parry exactly. Improved reaction seems a bit op, you bassicaly never take full damage. Dance of blades seems rediculos, none? Ever?

Shaman, pretty cool, kind of weird they swich spellcasting stat. I would just keep it wisdom. Spirit of rage is realy awesome.

Dancer; I would change cloaked dance to a 1d4, just in case. Sidestep is actualy pretty balanced, if only because you have to be danceing. It is weaker than the dervish level 10.

Charm; I love true friends. This one may be my favorite, though I would limit anything you please to only be used once per short rest or something.

Creation; I am pretty sure that you dont need a spell prepared to cast it as a ritual, in fact I think thats the point. The last to abilities are realy cool, actualy all of them are but those two in particular.

Magic; Seems pretty good, whats a swift spell again?

Rebirth; seem spretty cool, kind of like a life cleric but as a druid. Twilight once again does the same thing as a feat, bypassing resistance, I would get rid of that part. Maybe treat imunity as resistance? Final words is very flavorful.

Witch; So you can change race but not gender? Why? Other than that very cool, might get me to play a druid.

DiBastet
2015-02-16, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the comments. Most of these were alread playtested, so I'll point out the results.

Dervish: Improved reaction is Rogue's Evasion feature but only when raging. Dance of Blades is Rogue's Elusive. That's actually the ability that I'm not sure yet since you expect the barbarian to be in the thick of melee more often than a rogue, but I still didn't have a chance to see this subclass at such a high level.

Dancer: Hm, it's actually the same ability... Both have to be dancing.

Charm: I had the chance to playtest this. it's actually an at-will Command spell against creatures already charmed. At such a high level, and with this limitation, this ability ends up mostly as cantrip-strenght; great for rp and exploration, not so much for combat (just like the knowledge domain ability). Also if you get to play it make sure to come back and tell me about the character's adventures!

Creation: That's actually a wizard-only advantage. Cleric and druid must have the spell prepared.

Magic: A spell that you can cast as a Bonus action, of course, since "A spell cast with a bonus action is especially swift". Heheh, that's actually a translation artifact. For my group's translation I marked all bonus action spells as "swift spells", because you know they are "especially swift".

Rebirth: The precedent is on the Death Domain, so that's covered. Also you can't choose necrotic for the Elemental adept feat.

Witch: Well, that's completly just for fluff reasons! The female witch that bewitches someone while disguised as a granny or pretty young lady; the male Stranger With no Name. It makes no difference balance-wise, but thank god this edition is full of fluff.

TL;DR: Thank you. I'm a little worried about the dervish capstone, even if this ability already exists in the game. I'm waiting my player's dervish to get to that level to know for sure.

Rfkannen
2015-02-16, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the comments. Most of these were alread playtested, so I'll point out the results.

Dervish: Improved reaction is Rogue's Evasion feature but only when raging. Dance of Blades is Rogue's Elusive. That's actually the ability that I'm not sure yet since you expect the barbarian to be in the thick of melee more often than a rogue, but I still didn't have a chance to see this subclass at such a high level.

Dancer: Hm, it's actually the same ability... Both have to be dancing.

Charm: I had the chance to playtest this. it's actually an at-will Command spell against creatures already charmed. At such a high level, and with this limitation, this ability ends up mostly as cantrip-strenght; great for rp and exploration, not so much for combat (just like the knowledge domain ability). Also if you get to play it make sure to come back and tell me about the character's adventures!

Creation: That's actually a wizard-only advantage. Cleric and druid must have the spell prepared.

Magic: A spell that you can cast as a Bonus action, of course, since "A spell cast with a bonus action is especially swift". Heheh, that's actually a translation artifact. For my group's translation I marked all bonus action spells as "swift spells", because you know they are "especially swift".

Rebirth: The precedent is on the Death Domain, so that's covered. Also you can't choose necrotic for the Elemental adept feat.

Witch: Well, that's completly just for fluff reasons! The female witch that bewitches someone while disguised as a granny or pretty young lady; the male Stranger With no Name. It makes no difference balance-wise, but thank god this edition is full of fluff.

TL;DR: Thank you. I'm a little worried about the dervish capstone, even if this ability already exists in the game. I'm waiting my player's dervish to get to that level to know for sure.

On dervish and dancer, yep, your right. I was wrong. I misread the dervish my first time through

Can't the charm thing be used to tell the teraraque to kill things for you?

Creation, your right, I forgot.

magic; I get you. So you can cast two bonus action spells? Have you play tested this? I could see it being pretty balanced or rediculy op, no idea.

Rebirth, another mistake on my part.

witch; WOOT FOR FLUFF.

edit; what else you planeing?

DiBastet
2015-02-16, 04:58 PM
Well, I guess if you are a high priest of the goddess of love and managed to make the tarrasque (or any other big guy by that) ensorceled by you, you deserve being able to tell him to Fetch!, Roll!, Come! and other single words commands! Your earned it charm cleric, you earned it!

Magic: I don't think it's possible actually... Yeah it makes sense to allow you to cast a Bonus Action spell using your action instead of your Bonus Action, but I don't know if RAW that's possible... A good point... And nah, magic cleric is waiting in line... I guess it's the 4th in line.

Edit: I guess it would be pretty decent on my part posting what subclasses I plan to translate. I'm going to do that now.

Inchoroi
2015-02-17, 07:03 PM
Well, that may take a while Inchoroi. Hope you don't reach maximum possible age before I get there.

I just want the Gunslinger. Because Gunslingers are cool.

DiBastet
2015-02-19, 08:25 AM
Well, you got what you asked. This one was created at the same time as the artificer and because of that it had the third most extensive playtest of them all. Enjoy man.

Inchoroi
2015-02-19, 07:14 PM
Well, you got what you asked. This one was created at the same time as the artificer and because of that it had the third most extensive playtest of them all. Enjoy man.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Dares and Deeds both require the expenditure of your Grit, essentially limiting their use to once or twice per short rest?

DiBastet
2015-02-20, 08:28 AM
Actually no. Deeds are active (you spend your grit) requiring some actiong, but Dares are passive effects. You coul in theory just use deeds when they recharge per short rest or when you get a lucky critical, but the subclass "thing" is about trying to regain Grit by doing heroic actions.

The player that playtest it had already played the pf gunslinger, so she was used to it. She woudld basically use one of her deeds at the beggining of an encounter and then every turn try to gain grit by doing badass and dangerous actions for the sake of coolness. Roll under the monster's legs and shoot it from behind, kick the door and flip a table for cover, climb an ogre's back to "garrote" him with his own skull necklace, throwing the room's curtains over the enemy's head , that sort of thing. Many times she would spend her non-action interacting with the background, and wouldn't shy away from spending her whole action to give her comrades some bonus and to gain grit in the process. Of course, outside of combat her character would act in a daring way too, granting her a grit use so she could be ready for the next "showdown" as the character said.

Of course, there were times that she would just multi-attack + twf + action surge to just gun the opposition down, but I can atest that besides a lucky crit she would regain grit at least once per encounter.

Inchoroi
2015-02-20, 05:01 PM
Actually no. Deeds are active (you spend your grit) requiring some actiong, but Dares are passive effects. You coul in theory just use deeds when they recharge per short rest or when you get a lucky critical, but the subclass "thing" is about trying to regain Grit by doing heroic actions.

The player that playtest it had already played the pf gunslinger, so she was used to it. She woudld basically use one of her deeds at the beggining of an encounter and then every turn try to gain grit by doing badass and dangerous actions for the sake of coolness. Roll under the monster's legs and shoot it from behind, kick the door and flip a table for cover, climb an ogre's back to "garrote" him with his own skull necklace, throwing the room's curtains over the enemy's head , that sort of thing. Many times she would spend her non-action interacting with the background, and wouldn't shy away from spending her whole action to give her comrades some bonus and to gain grit in the process. Of course, outside of combat her character would act in a daring way too, granting her a grit use so she could be ready for the next "showdown" as the character said.

Of course, there were times that she would just multi-attack + twf + action surge to just gun the opposition down, but I can atest that besides a lucky crit she would regain grit at least once per encounter.

Mkay. It wasn't specified that Dares were always-on passive effects, that I could see, anyway.

Wartex1
2015-02-20, 05:49 PM
These are great.

Slightly disappointed that you aren't planning on doing some sort of trap-focused subclass. That would be fun.

Amnoriath
2015-02-20, 05:51 PM
For the most part things are good except for 1. The Magic Domain's Dual Casting is just an absolute no. This is one of the key advantages of a Sorcerer which has to use a limited resource or expend more slots to use so doing this is just insane and needs something more flavorful to replace it. One could copy the Bard feature.

Inchoroi
2015-02-21, 12:05 AM
My next request is the Warlock subclasses....

DiBastet
2015-02-21, 07:26 AM
This is one of the key advantages of a Sorcerer which has to use a limited resource or expend more slots to use

I'm gonna pay attention to the dual casting when I got to see a player in action with the magic domain, however I'm not so afraid of it. It's not pure quicken spell, being limited to cantrips only and as capstone to bonus action spells. The sorcerer gets to cast a normal spell as a bonus action, the magic domain gets to cast a cantrip as bonus action after a spell. Of course, everything is great on paper, but if it turns out to be op it will become magical secrets, that's for sure.

My next request is the Warlock subclasses....
Then you're kinda out of luck my friend, it's the second to last class!

Amnoriath
2015-02-21, 09:51 AM
I'm gonna pay attention to the dual casting when I got to see a player in action with the magic domain, however I'm not so afraid of it. It's not pure quicken spell, being limited to cantrips only and as capstone to bonus action spells. The sorcerer gets to cast a normal spell as a bonus action, the magic domain gets to cast a cantrip as bonus action after a spell. Of course, everything is great on paper, but if it turns out to be op it will become magical secrets, that's for sure.

Okay, lets look at it this way. People have been using the Quicken Spell to cast cantrips to save slots. If they would substitute the spell for a cantrip this cleric has become a better consistent damage dealer than other martials.

Inchoroi
2015-02-21, 01:41 PM
Then you're kinda out of luck my friend, it's the second to last class!

...can't make an exception, huh?

Wartex1
2015-02-21, 01:56 PM
Quick question: Is Stagger an action or a bonus action?

DiBastet
2015-02-21, 06:32 PM
Bonus. "As a bonus action you may spend your Drunken Ki point to use one of the following abilities."

Rfkannen
2015-02-21, 07:13 PM
Just wondering, what language are you translating these from?

Ghost Dragon
2015-02-22, 12:55 AM
Di these all seem great, love the fluff and most seem balanced on paper, though the magic cleric casting twice even though it's a cantrip might be a little op but you said you we're play testing so all good. I love the death knight man, really cool wow conversion, I love playing that game too. I am gonna offer some of these to my players next campaign I run and will let ya know of there adventures if they choose them ;)

Thanks again, keep up the great brewing.

DiBastet
2015-02-22, 07:15 AM
Rfkannen: From portuguese man.

Ghost Dragon: Well, that's the second person saying that, and while I dislike the idea of changing it before I had the chance to playtest (specially because I had a player call dibs on it), I'm gonna run some as npcs next session (that would be today). I have an alternate idea to try to keep with the same theme... let's see how it goes.

grimm1989
2015-03-26, 06:59 PM
Just curious if these are still in the works, i have loved your previous works including your artificer. So i was excited to see these completed :D

Inchoroi
2015-03-29, 06:06 PM
I, too, would like the rest of them...

Inchoroi
2015-05-16, 09:47 PM
Wanted to bump and see if anything's been updated...

Inchoroi
2015-06-22, 05:14 PM
I hope you didn't drop this project, DiBastet...I really want most of these. Even if you posted them in your native language, at least then the forum can go through and try to translate them...

DiBastet
2015-06-26, 06:30 PM
Omg i'm sorry. I was just too caught up with my campaign ending, savage worlds and my own classless skill-based hacks for 5e that I totally even forgot these forums. I actually came to the forum to fish for classes and subclasses to steal interesting abilities and add to the pile of my classless hack and saw my thread.

I'll totally translate the rest Inchoroi, beggining tomorrow.

Inchoroi
2015-06-26, 11:46 PM
Omg i'm sorry. I was just too caught up with my campaign ending, savage worlds and my own classless skill-based hacks for 5e that I totally even forgot these forums. I actually came to the forum to fish for classes and subclasses to steal interesting abilities and add to the pile of my classless hack and saw my thread.

I'll totally translate the rest Inchoroi, beggining tomorrow.

You are a gentleman and/or woman and a scholar!

Inchoroi
2015-07-31, 02:01 PM
Don't forget about us, @DiBastet...

Arracor
2015-08-07, 04:31 PM
Just thought I'd mention that I made a Druid using the Circle of Witchcraft as a sort-of antagonist for the party. I was making the character and came to the realization that the base subclasses sucked, so I went online to look for options and that one looked the most interesting to me, at least for this character. It actually added another dimension to her character through the abilities it's giving her access to, which should make things very, verrrrry interesting when the party catches on to what she can do...

Inchoroi
2015-09-15, 03:00 PM
I hope you haven't forgotten about us again...

I'd really like to see the Life Sorcerer.

Arkhios
2015-11-25, 10:33 AM
One thing about the Death Knight... I would tune down the maneuvers based on cantrips just a little bit. Common cantrips scale at levels 1st, 5th, 11th, and 17th. So, for example Blood Boil (which I assume to be one of those cantrip-esque maneuvers) would be better to scale from 1d6 at 1st, then by +1d6 each level after. The effect forbidding reactions is rather powerful, so the damage needs to go down, especially if Death Knight can spam this maneuver whenever it's his or her turn. Likewise I'd change the scaling curve for other cantrip-esque maneuvers to that of presented above.

EDIT: I just came to realize that it might not actually be a cantrip-esque ability, and instead requires the Death Knight to expend his or her Runic Power, in which case it seems to be just fine as it is. Maybe you should clarify which maneuvers cost Runic Power and how much. Currently it doesn't really say it, only a vague notion about Runic Power usage.

Other than that, amazing work with the sub-classes. (And the Artificer of Alancia; I'm definitely going to use it on my low-to-no-magic campaign!)

Tormakir
2015-12-10, 03:56 AM
Need a bit of clarification regarding the Dervish Dancer's elaborate parry.

Is it really only a +2 AC as long as you are dancing, wield no shields, and have the other arm free while wielding a slashing weapon in one hand?

Cause that seems like an option no one would touch.

Bruno Carvalho
2015-12-10, 01:29 PM
DiBastet, se precisar de ajuda com a tradução, manda aí!