PDA

View Full Version : Help needed finding a roleplaying game

Kaiser Omnik
2015-02-09, 12:50 PM
Dear Playground,

Lately I've been thinking about several problematic aspects of various RPGs I used to play, trying to wrap my mind around an alternative take on roleplaying. I'm turning to the Playground to benefit from your expertise and experience with tabletop roleplaying games.

Does anyone know of tabletop RPGs that fit either one or several of the following criterias:

A game that focuses on social conflicts in its themes and mechanics while having the players manage individual (and relatively low-powered) characters exclusively, with their own emotional/personal stakes in those conflicts, and not countries or gods; that means no separate "turns" where players switch to another ruleset, controlling their kingdom's economy, politics, etc. like they were in a turn-based strategy game or giving commands to their chosen people from above.
A primarily relationships-based RPG; I already know of Golden Sky Stories, but I wonder if there are others where building/maintaining relationships is key to characters' progression/power.
A game that gives at least as much (but preferably more) importance to negociation, compromise and healing than it does to violent conflict resolution. However, unlike GSS, I'm looking for a game/setting involving high stakes for NPCs and characters alike (not just political but personal, emotional or spiritual) that could possibly explode into violence if all else fails, or at least end badly for the PCs/the PC's friends and allies, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Comet
2015-02-09, 12:54 PM
I haven't played Burning Wheel myself, but I've heard it described in pretty much those terms. Standing up for your beliefs and values is, in particular, is apparently one of the system's main focuses. Worth looking into?

Red Fel
2015-02-09, 01:21 PM
Does anyone know of tabletop RPGs that fit either one or several of the following criterias:

I'm not 100% sure I understand your criteria, but I'll try. I'm going to propose Ironclaw, which is a medieval-style RPG with a heavy emphasis on social roles. That's roles, not rolls. A few key elements that might be of interest to you: Combat is present, but highly lethal. As a result, it is discouraged as a means of conflict resolution. Many issues can be resolved by intelligence, planning, or social acumen; it's not uncommon to have entire sessions go by with no combat whatsoever. Magic is present, but hardly gamebreaking. I wouldn't even call the setting "high magic." Magic generally takes the form of a weapon, in that you load up a spell to fire, the way you would load a crossbow. Social roles and social awareness are key. Because it's a medieval fantasy style game, it's vitally important to be aware of one's station in life - merchant, noble, brigand, clergy, peasant. These words mean something. Even forms of address differ - for example, you would never address a peasant as "Sir." Due to these major social structures, emphasis is placed on relationships and interactions. There are different forms of interaction between lower-class and higher-class individuals, and benefits to having friends and affiliations in the clergy, the nobility, the military, the merchants, and so forth.
Now, let's look at your criteria specifically.

A game that focuses on social conflicts in its themes and mechanics while having the players manage individual (and relatively low-powered) characters exclusively, with their own emotional/personal stakes in those conflicts, and not countries or gods; that means no separate "turns" where players switch to another ruleset, controlling their kingdom's economy, politics, etc. like they were in a turn-based strategy game or giving commands to their chosen people from above.

Check. You manage your character. Even if you become a spellcaster, you'll never reach that demigod status common to some other *coughD&Dcough* games. If you really want power, you're better off cozying up to a king, general, or church. Social conflicts abound: class warfare, strife between nobles, international conflict, trade disagreements. Heck, you could play Game of Thrones in this system if you wanted. It's based on medieval Europe; you can guess how well it goes.

A primarily relationships-based RPG; I already know of Golden Sky Stories, but I wonder if there are others where building/maintaining relationships is key to characters' progression/power.

Sort of. Characters aren't powered by relationships, but in a setting where conflict is fairly lethal, it's much better to have powerful friends than to fight your own battles.

A game that gives at least as much (but preferably more) importance to negociation, compromise and healing than it does to violent conflict resolution. However, unlike GSS, I'm looking for a game/setting involving high stakes for NPCs and characters alike (not just political but personal, emotional or spiritual) that could possibly explode into violence if all else fails, or at least end badly for the PCs/the PC's friends and allies, etc.

Combat rules are fairly concise. Social rules are more extensive and nuanced. Entire branches of skills are dedicated to how you interact, and with whom; how you present yourself; your affiliations and your authority. For example, being an ordained clergyman gives you the authority, every once in awhile, to throw your weight around and make everyone shut up and do what you say because you wear the funny robe, dagnabbit! Personal stakes are present, too - rather than an alignment system, PCs have "mottos," guiding principles by which they live their lives. By abiding by their principles in difficult times, PCs grow stronger.

How does that sound to you?

Kaiser Omnik
2015-02-09, 08:31 PM
Thanks, those games seem very interesting!

aspekt
2015-02-10, 11:14 AM
I recently picked the Deryni rpg based on the FUDGE rule system. It is very relationship friendly. The game discusses whole campaigns based on intrigue alone.

One of the benefits of the FUDGE system here is that it is a very meta rule set. It would take minimal effort to create more/fewer stats related to social interaction.

Also REIGN might have some good options for you. I've heard Ars Magica can do some fun things with character development related to town/village building along with managing the equivalent of DnD hirelings. (The previous edition, 4th, is available as a free pdf download.)

neonchameleon
2015-02-10, 12:17 PM
Dear Playground,

Lately I've been thinking about several problematic aspects of various RPGs I used to play, trying to wrap my mind around an alternative take on roleplaying. I'm turning to the Playground to benefit from your expertise and experience with tabletop roleplaying games.

Thanks in advance!

OK. Some suggestions I think you'll like:

1: Monsterhearts (http://buriedwithoutceremony.com/monsterhearts/) - a game about supernatural teen drama where you play the teenaged monsters. Negotiation and compromise? You're all a group of teenagers. And Lashing Out Physically normally works about as well as it does in high school - although sometimes staking the vampire is the best choice. Social conflicts? Oh hell yes. Simple rules and the most emotionally engaging RPG I've played.

2: Smallville (http://www.amazon.com/Smallville-Roleplaying-Game-Cam-Banks/dp/1931567891) (or the generic Cortex+ Drama rules (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/117419/Cortex-Plus-Hackers-Guide)) Smallville is all about social conflict with the two primary stats being your relationship (with whoever's involved) and your values, and challenging the relationships and values so you aren't sure being the most powerful thing you can do. You can keep the power levels down amazingly easily.

3: Hillfolk Dramasystem (http://www.pelgranepress.com/?cat=222) - a game where pretty much your only mechanical values are your relationships. Possibly not enough violence for you - there are no separate mechanics.

4: Apocalypse World (http://apocalypse-world.com/) - the "parent game" of Monsterhearts (and of Dungeon World). The setting is post-apocalyptic although any apocalypse from zombies onwards works. Most of the classes are built on the 'Mo People, 'Mo Problems principle so the Hardholder (local town boss) really needs help from everyone else to deal with subtle problems (the Gunlugger - a.k.a. the biggest badass around can sometimes duck the polticking. And combat when it happens is fast and brutal so people try to avoid it. (No separate turns).

The first two I think both fit all three of your criteria - and the third and fourth each miss one but not by very much.

mikeejimbo
2015-02-12, 05:40 PM
There's always the Wuthering Heights Roleplaying game, although it doesn't have rules for relationships, it definitely has a focus on them. Though particularly romantic relationships and violent ends are assumed.

Geostationary
2015-02-12, 06:02 PM
Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/128212/Chuubos-Marvelous-WishGranting-Engine--EOS7000-ePub-only)! It's a game all about the internal landscape and your interactions with other people in a very similar (and diceless) vein as GSS. Further, the system doesn't differentiate between how compromise, murder, going shopping, or what have you are resolved, but generally speaking you don't want to deal with violent combat because it's not generally a very productive thing to do.

I could probably describe it better, but I'm at a loss for how to do so at the moment; there's a pretty active thread over on rpg.net if you want more resources or in-depth answers.

Vitruviansquid
2015-02-12, 06:12 PM
I haven't played it myself, but Maid RPG actually seems to fulfill all your criteria other than the one where you want to play multiple characters.

sakuuya
2015-02-12, 06:19 PM
I haven't played it myself, but Maid RPG actually seems to fulfill all your criteria other than the one where you want to play multiple characters.

Yeah, but if "sketchiness" isn't a requested characteristic, Maid is probably not the way to go. :smalltongue:

I was gonna suggest Smallville and Monsterhearts, but neonchameleon beat me to it. Those have my vote, though.

dream
2015-02-13, 08:56 AM
Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire: Game of Thrones Edition (http://greenronin.com/sifrp/) is a strong choice. Fits what you're searching for almost perfectly.

kyoryu
2015-02-14, 12:59 AM
Cortex+ (esp SmallWorld)
AW/MonsterHearts
You could absolutely run Fate that way.

aspekt
2015-02-14, 01:08 AM
Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire: Game of Thrones Edition (http://greenronin.com/sifrp/) is a strong choice. Fits what you're searching for almost perfectly.

I've actually been reviewing the diplomacy rules in this game and it's a pretty straightforward system while still allowing for some twists. So far I like it.

Zavoniki
2015-02-14, 02:56 AM
I'm pretty sure the RPG you describe as wanting is A Dirty World so check that out. It's really cool, though pretty centered on doing Film-Noir.

Better Angels is another version of that system, focused on being Super-Villains.