PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Sneak Attack Silliness: How to get the highest possible amount of sneak attack die.

Michael7123
2015-02-09, 05:36 PM
Pretty much exactly what the title says. I'm not actually going to use this for a build, but I'm curious what the highest amount of sneak attack dice is on a level 20 character by multitclassing.

(Un)Inspired
2015-02-09, 05:40 PM
Most sneak attack die on one attack or most sneak attack die in one round?

Zaq
2015-02-09, 05:43 PM
As per usual, the casters do it best.

You want the Hunter's Eye spell, from PHB2. Find a way to beef your caster level up to ridiculous levels (nested Greater Consumptive Fields, Circle Magic, whatever), find a way to Persist it (DMM, Incantatrix, whatever), and go to town. That will get you farther than just dipping around for Rogue 1 / Sneak Attack Fighter 1 / Spellthief 1 / etc.

Michael7123
2015-02-09, 05:43 PM
Most sneak attack die on one attack or most sneak attack die in one round?

In one, gloriously OP attack.

EugeneVoid
2015-02-09, 06:21 PM
Yeah, Hunter's Eye is the best way to go about this.

Just Boost Caster Level. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9983)

(Un)Inspired
2015-02-09, 06:26 PM
Yeah, Hunters Eye coupled with an Infinite CL trick gets you infinite sneak attack die.

Thrice Dead Cat
2015-02-09, 06:55 PM
While Hunter's Eye shows up a lot in Unseen Seer discussions, here, it'd probably be better served on an archivist using the aforementioned caster level tricks. Plus, this way you can do silly things with greater many-shot and dread secret to daze your opponent before unleashing sneak attack hell.

On a semi-related note, I'm still annoyed that Hunter's Eye scales off of half caster level. The one class list it's actually on can't use it worth a damn.

Chronos
2015-02-09, 07:37 PM
There are a lot of spells that seem to be specifically designed to work only for sneaky minmaxers using optimization tricks, and to do absolutely nothing for ordinary players.

Kraken
2015-02-09, 07:41 PM
Wizard5/rogue1/unseen seer2/incantatrix4/mindbender1/wyrm wizard2/halruaan elder5

Unseen seer gets you hunter's eye, wyrm wizard gets you consumptive field (let's not assume it stacks with great consumptive field for an easy infinite CL trick), Halruaan elder for circle magic, and incantatrix for persist shenanigans. And mindbender because mindsight is awesome. Circle magic takes you CL to 40, then add ring of arcane might, create magic tattoo, and so forth on top of that, and even node spellcasting if it's in play. You should be able to get to +30 dice from hunter's eye without much trouble.

Darrin
2015-02-09, 07:54 PM
Pretty much exactly what the title says. I'm not actually going to use this for a build, but I'm curious what the highest amount of sneak attack dice is on a level 20 character by multitclassing.

Ok, spitballing here...

Rogue 5/SA Fighter 5/Dragon Devotee 4/Unseen Seer 4/Nightsong Enforcer 1/Ronin 1
Feats: Martial Study, Martial Stance: Assassin's Stance, Dragonfire Strike

That's... 15d6 without spells. Toss a Practiced Spellcaster on there, and hunter's eye at CL 9 brings it up to 18d6.

A Factotum maxing out Font of Inspiration and spamming Cunning Strike could probably outdo it in a single round, but I'm feeling too lazy to work out the particulars.

oldkingkoal
2015-02-09, 10:58 PM
Might have some interesting tricks in the rogue hand book (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?156350-3-5-The-Rogue-Handbook-A-Fistful-of-d6).

Nibbens
2015-02-10, 10:35 AM
If you're allowing pathfinder...

While this is not "the highest amount of sneak attack die" it will make every single attack you ever make ever again into a sneak - and that counts for something. 1 level in Monk of the Open Hand, feat - Catch Off Guard" and take the rest of your levels in rogue (or any class that gets sneak damage) and voila! Now every attack you make ever again will have sneak damage.

Elricaltovilla
2015-02-10, 11:01 AM
Adding to the Pathfinder suggestions, the Sap Master (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/sap-master-combat) feat doubles your sneak attack dice against flat-footed opponents (damn you paizo) so long as you stick to nonlethal bludgeoning damage. So add that on top of Hunter's Eye CL shenanigans for double infinite sneak attack dice.

Spore
2015-02-10, 02:33 PM
Adding to the Pathfinder suggestions, the Sap Master (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/sap-master-combat) feat doubles your sneak attack dice against flat-footed opponents (damn you paizo) so long as you stick to nonlethal bludgeoning damage. So add that on top of Hunter's Eye CL shenanigans for double infinite sneak attack dice.

Which brings me to the question: If I deal twice the amount of the target's HP as nonlethal damage, does it still die?