PDA

View Full Version : Fighter Sorcerer?

Fightmaster
2015-02-09, 05:56 PM
My party recently hit level 4 and I'm playing a monk and loving it. However, there's a chance that we might have a TPK over a dragon egg we "acquired". I wanted to make a Gish type as a back up and was considering fighter sorcerer. Can this be done effectively or should I consider other options for a gish?

CrusaderJoe
2015-02-09, 06:05 PM
My party recently hit level 4 and I'm playing a monk and loving it. However, there's a chance that we might have a TPK over a dragon egg we "acquired". I wanted to make a Gish type as a back up and was considering fighter sorcerer. Can this be done effectively or should I consider other options for a gish?

The one beautiful thing about 5e is that any character can work.

However, why not go Valor Bard?

But if you don't like the bard that much then going Fighter/Sorcerer works fine.

What sort of Gish do you want to make?

Fightmaster
2015-02-09, 06:08 PM
Realistically, I would like to do mostly melee and some buffing, with blasting when the situation calls for it

Dralnu
2015-02-09, 06:26 PM
Realistically, I would like to do mostly melee and some buffing, with blasting when the situation calls for it

What level are you starting at?

Bard could be good for this at higher levels. You'll be a bit squishy, mind you, so taking a quick dip in Fighter shores that up. If you go College of Valor you get that Extra Attack for good damage, and by 10th level you have access to things like Haste, very respectable damage. And the buffing part you've got in spades.

There's also Cleric! War domain cleric. These guys are powerful gishes right at level 1! Martial weapons, heavy armor, and starting at 1st level you get an extra swing as a bonus action a number of times per long rest equal to you WIS mod! Target out of smashing range? Guiding Bolt is one of the most powerful blasting 1st level spells, I'd say the best single target one in the game. Pretty terrific. Seriously check him out, all a war cleric's abilities are based around doing damage and buffing. I think it's perfect for you.

CrusaderJoe
2015-02-09, 07:13 PM
Valor Bard as suggested would be great.

Fighter 2 or 3/Valor Bard X

War Cleric would be great, as would really any other melee focused cleric. Nature is one of my favorites, you could go pure Wis (melee and spell attack and damage)/Con (HP!)/Dex (only for Dex saves). Shillelagh is really nice.

Healer Feat + Rogue 3 (Thief)/ Monk (Way of 4 Elements) could also get what you want. Human varient is nice for this.

rhouck
2015-02-09, 07:29 PM
Tempest Cleric + Sorcerer could be fun. I've always liked the flavor of Tempest more than War for a melee-focused caster anyway. You'd have a great spell list, and still have excellent AC and decent hp (albeit not great).

Zariel
2015-02-09, 07:40 PM
Warlock for the WIN :D

CrusaderJoe
2015-02-09, 08:06 PM
Warlock for the WIN :D

Tome pact, then yes.

Fightmaster
2015-02-09, 08:30 PM
We would most likely be starting at 4th level. Cleric would typically work best, however the party may end up with two clerics in the case of a TPK.

CrusaderJoe
2015-02-09, 08:39 PM
We would most likely be starting at 4th level. Cleric would typically work best, however the party may end up with two clerics in the case of a TPK.

Doesn't really matter, a party could have 5 clerics and still be diverse enough to not really notice.

Felvion
2015-02-09, 09:31 PM

Isn't this what eldritch knights do?
Mostly melee: You are a fighter so this part is double-checked. Action surge and the highest amount of attacks possible guarantee you gonna be awesome in melee. Free proficiencies with every armor and weapon helps you flesh out any fighting archetype you may wish. Fighting style, 2 extra feats/ASIs... You are one of the best (if not the best) melee combatant.

Buffing: Access to wizard's abjuration spells. Slow progression and not as many spell slots as a full caster but it's not your first priority anyway. Shield (the spell) makes great use of your reaction early and remains strong all the way till 20.

Blasting: Same as above. Slow spellcasting progression doesn't help you but any non full-caster class is doomed to blast less than the "actual" casters. Well, there's the 2 level warlock dip too but it's not ideal for the EK.

Typically the EK could do the job but it's your call.

I wonder why hasn't anyone brought up the paladin yet. Awesome gish with a completely different theme. Also he qualifies easier for the aforementioned warlock 2 dip which can add great blasting (and possibly minor battlefield control through repelling blast).

FyreHeart
2015-02-10, 12:17 PM
Have to agree with the person above who said Warlocks. I currently play a Tiefling Warlock-Bard and it works beautifully.

As Tiefling you get resistance to fire typing damage which is one of the most common in the entire game plus spells as you level up.

As a Warlock your hit die isnt terrible, a respectable d8. Even though you can only wear light armor you can always take feats later on that let you wear heavier types. Even go Valor Bard which allows that as well plus more weapon proficiency.

As far as Pacts go, a spell-slinging Warlock would want the boon of Tome while a hack-n-slasher wants Blade. I was weird and went Chain which gives you a familiar. Got to love tiny friends!

Fightmaster
2015-02-10, 12:54 PM
It looks like either paladin or eldritch knight/wizard would be my best option for this party. I think paladin/sorcerer could make a cool magic knight, but how would an eldritch knight/wizard fair just for reference?

CrusaderJoe
2015-02-10, 01:51 PM
It looks like either paladin or eldritch knight/wizard would be my best option for this party. I think paladin/sorcerer could make a cool magic knight, but how would an eldritch knight/wizard fair just for reference?

All combos do well enough, you won't be left behind no matter what you do. However the Fighter/Wizard does quite well.

Fighter 3 to 6 can be a good jumping point into wizard.

Forest Gnome EK Fighter/Diviner Wizard would be a strong combo.

Marcelinari
2015-02-10, 02:07 PM
For a Fighter/Sorcerer specifically, it could work quite well (especially if going the Dex-fighter route).

My own build for a sorcerer/fighter starts with 3 levels of Dragon Sorcerer, netting you
13+Dex armor class, without spell slots expended
+1 HP/level, one of the most important consequences of extra CON
Free Draconic
Proficiency with CON and CHA saves
2nd level spells
One metamagic (my preference is Quicken, for in-melee spells)

Then go 5 levels of Fighter, which gets you
More HP/level
Proficiency with martial weapons (and med. armor, but who cares)
Fighting style (Duelling for preference, works nicely with a rapier)
Second wind
Action surge at EL5, keeping you on par with other melee for a little bit longer
Eldritch knight at Fighter 3, helping to keep your Caster Level up to snuff
ASI at EL7
Second attack at EL 8

Then another 6 levels of sorcerer, getting you
ASI at EL9
+CHA to spell damage (based on heritage, fire is nice)
ASI at EL13
Loads of Metamagic points
5th level spells

Then do the nextt 6 levels of Fighter, resulting in
ASI at EL15
ASI at EL17
Effectively 3 extra levels of sorcerer, for the purposes of spell slots
3 attacks/action at EL 20, which feels like a nice capstone

That's effectively 12 levels of sorcerer (with up to 5th level spells), permanent mage armor and +Cha to fire damage (especially cantrips, castable with Quicken for 1 metamagic point), 9 metamagic points, 3 attacks/round and Action Surge, as well as Duelling and 5 ASIs. As well as the Eldritch Knight Bonded Weapon and... I think you would get the 'attack as bonus action after cantrip cast' feature too, but whatever, that's what quicken is for.

Fightmaster
2015-02-10, 03:28 PM
Using sorcery points for quicken sounds preeeeetty great to me. What would I want my INT at though for eldritch knight/sorcerer?

CrusaderJoe
2015-02-10, 04:44 PM
Using sorcery points for quicken sounds preeeeetty great to me. What would I want my INT at though for eldritch knight/sorcerer?

Anything, take defensive/utility spells on that side. Misty Step, Shield, and others like that. Don't take offensive spells and you can have an Int of 8... Which makes sense. You dropped out of wizardry school, picked up a sword, and then learned you were suited for magic through your blood.

Mad Puppy
2015-02-16, 02:14 PM
I too have been toying with a backup character that is fighter/Sorcerer
Though many above post are more optimized I'm basig mine on the Saxon warriors of middle aged Europe.

Starting with Human Fighter1/Sorcerer 3 you get a fun Mele Sorcerer:
I have Chain Armor and shield (18AC)[stated as fighter so all armor proficiencies]
Battle Axe with Duellist fighting style (+2 damage equal to 2 handed damage)
2nd wind is a nice add on to HP in a desperate situation.
Throw in the Warcaster Feat for ability to cast while weapons and shield are in hand, thus in combat.

I'm using the Dragon soul from sorcerer and ignoring the 13AC+dex (dumping DEX), but you are essentially a d8 sorcerer with this bloodline (+1 HP/level)
I ended with the following stats from a standard array variant human:
STR: 16 (+1 var human)
Dex: 12
Con: 14
Int: 8
Wis: 10
Chr: 14 (+1 var human)

I chose Lightning as my element for flavor purposes but Fire would be an optimized choice.
I'm also trying to avoid spells with component requirements (like Chromatic orb that requires a 50gp diamond)

Cantrips:
Shocking Grasp (advantage on attacks to armored opponents, and along my lightning flavor)
Blade Ward (handy in combat)
Firebolt (great spell)
True Strike (helps my mele attacks)
Acid splash

1st level spells
Thunderwave (again the Lightning/Storm flavor)
Witch Bolt (lightning,does require a component though)
Burning Hands (in case of multiple attackers, if my DM allows reflavor this to a static charge) also considered magic missile

2nd level spells
Misty Step (teleport 30')
or WEB (with opponents locked down, hit them with Witchbolt or a fire spell and burn them!)
Scorching Ray is an good optimization option

Metamagic:
Empowered Spell (more damage)
Twinned spell (witchbolt, shocking grasp, firebolt)

Moving forward I'd likely take another level in Sorcerer and buff Charisma with the 2pt. stat bonus, maybe one more level of fighter but for the most part Sorcerer the rest of the way.

CrusaderJoe
2015-02-16, 03:12 PM
I too have been toying with a backup character that is fighter/Sorcerer
Though many above post are more optimized I'm basig mine on the Saxon warriors of middle aged Europe.

Starting with Human Fighter1/Sorcerer 3 you get a fun Mele Sorcerer:
I have Chain Armor and shield (18AC)[stated as fighter so all armor proficiencies]
Battle Axe with Duellist fighting style (+2 damage equal to 2 handed damage)
2nd wind is a nice add on to HP in a desperate situation.
Throw in the Warcaster Feat for ability to cast while weapons and shield are in hand, thus in combat.

I'm using the Dragon soul from sorcerer and ignoring the 13AC+dex (dumping DEX), but you are essentially a d8 sorcerer with this bloodline (+1 HP/level)
I ended with the following stats from a standard array variant human:
STR: 16 (+1 var human)
Dex: 12
Con: 14
Int: 8
Wis: 10
Chr: 14 (+1 var human)

I chose Lightning as my element for flavor purposes but Fire would be an optimized choice.
I'm also trying to avoid spells with component requirements (like Chromatic orb that requires a 50gp diamond)

Cantrips:
Shocking Grasp (advantage on attacks to armored opponents, and along my lightning flavor)
Blade Ward (handy in combat)
Firebolt (great spell)
True Strike (helps my mele attacks)
Acid splash

1st level spells
Thunderwave (again the Lightning/Storm flavor)
Witch Bolt (lightning,does require a component though)
Burning Hands (in case of multiple attackers, if my DM allows reflavor this to a static charge) also considered magic missile

2nd level spells
Misty Step (teleport 30')
or WEB (with opponents locked down, hit them with Witchbolt or a fire spell and burn them!)
Scorching Ray is an good optimization option

Metamagic:
Empowered Spell (more damage)
Twinned spell (witchbolt, shocking grasp, firebolt)

Moving forward I'd likely take another level in Sorcerer and buff Charisma with the 2pt. stat bonus, maybe one more level of fighter but for the most part Sorcerer the rest of the way.

Fighter 2 delays your spells a bit but Action Surge MetaMagic spells can get insane.

Do note that you only need the 50gp diamond. It doesn't get destroyed in the casting and you can keep using it as the component for chromatic orb.