PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Need help calculating this encounter.

Ketiara
2015-02-09, 07:32 PM
So Ive Dm'ed an encounter that was the end encounter to finish off a long awesome day of gaming. We play the Fortress of Yuan-ti module, and they reached Zoldathra, Master of the word. (HD9 half fiend yuan ti abomination)

Now my group is a:

half minotaur: 1barbarian/Fighter 7: But he is gimped as a net and trident fighter. So he is really using feats on that and thus isnt as powerfull as he could be.

A catfolk Wizard/fighter/abjurant champion lvl 8 with a spiked chain.

A assimar cleric/radiant servant lvl 8

A ...(the name eludes me) human warlock lvl 8 (the human is a drag mag +1 template with some ability boosters and some psionic)

So they all have a +1 template of different powerlvl, and they are all lvl 8.

So they meet this guy, and ive prepared the floor with an invisible wall of smoke, along with caltrops with a DC 21 save. Along with a descrated area with an altar.

The guy apart from his normal abilities has 150 hp and dmg reduction 5/-

and then I gave him two more spells/abilities because they fit so well into the entire plot. Wall of Limbs and something to enlarge him from large to huge. (as the enlarge person spell)

So this was a truely difficult encounter, where one person got to -19 hp (-20 would have killed him, home brew) one also got very low and bought a few rounds by trying to join forces with the baddie... as for the others they were also struggling, but at the end they won and felt really good about it! It was a truly epic fight, but I only rewarded them for an encounter lvl 12, buffed from EL 9...

It feels like more, but my problem is also I would love to learn how to go about rating abilities that I feel is really cool go give to my big baddie... and of course reward my players accordingly when they succeed.