2007-04-05, 07:04 PM
Man-eater Spider
Large Vermin
HD 4d8+ 10 (28)
Speed 30 ft., climb 30 ft.
Init: +4
AC 16 (+3 dex, +4 natural, -1 size); touch 12; flat-footed 12
BAB +3; Grp +16 (+6 with middle legs)
Attack Slam +6 (1d4+4) or Bite +6 (1d6+4, venom)
Full-Attack Bite +6 (1d6+4, venom) and 2 slams +4 (1d4+4)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
Special Attacks Venom, Webs
Special Qualities 8 legged, darkvision 60 ft
Saves Fort +6 Ref +4 Will +1
Abilities Str 18, Dex 16, Con 16, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 6
Skills
Feats Power Attack
Environment Caves, thick forests
Organization Solitary, pair, or den (2 + 2d8 2HD young)
CR 5
Treasure Standard, but treasure is all in den
Alignment Usually Neutral
Advancement (5-10 HD large, 11-15 HD huge)

8 legged: As a well-coordinated 8-legged creature, Man-Eater Spiders have several special qualities. First of all, they can attempt to grapple with middle legs during a grapple. They can choose to grapple with only four legs. When trying to grapple with their middle legs they get a -5 on their grapple check. If grappling with middle legs the man-eater spider can still take partial actions as well as grappling, but it cannot climb. Man-eater spiders all have the stability ability, +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground, man-eater spiders also get this bonus when climbing. Man-eater spiders also gain a natural +5 on grapple checks when they aren’t grappling with only middle legs.

Venom: Man-eater Spider venom comes through their bite. The poison is DC 16 fort save, 1d3 str/1d4 con damage.

Webs: As a standard action the Man-eater spider can shoot webs from a spinneret on their abdomen. It functions as a Web spell. If someone is being grappled by the Man-eater spider’s middle legs when the spider shoots it’s web they are automatically hit by the web as if they had failed their reflex save. This ability can only be used once every 1d4 rounds.

Sandtrap Man-eater Spider
Large Vermin
HD 8d8+ 32 (68)
Speed 30 ft., climb 30 ft.
Init: +4
AC 19 (+4 dex, +6 natural, -1 size); touch 13; flat-footed 15
BAB +6/+1; Grp +19 (+9 with middle legs)
Attack Slam +9 (1d6+4) or Bite +9 (2d4+4, venom)
Full-Attack Bite +9 (2d4+4, venom) and 2 slams +7 (1d6+4)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
Special Attacks Venom, Webs, sneak attack +5d6
Special Qualities 8 legged, Camouflage, darkvision 60 ft.
Saves Fort +9 Ref +6 Will +3
Abilities Str 18, Dex 18, Con 18, Int -, Wis 14, Cha 6
Skills Hide +14 (10Camouflage +4dex)
Feats Power Attack
Environment Desert
Organization Solitary
CR 9
Treasure Standard, treasure in pit
Alignment Usually Neutral
Advancement (9-14 HD large, 15-20 HD huge)

Sandtrap Man-eater spiders hide in sandy deserts, half buried, waiting for someone to walk by. When they see possible prey, they burst out of the sand and make a bite sneak attack, using their powerful venom to weaken and slay their victims.

8 legged: As a well-coordinated 8-legged creature, Man-Eater Spiders have several special qualities. First of all, they can attempt to grapple with middle legs during a grapple. They can choose to grapple with only four legs. When trying to grapple with their middle legs they get a -5 on their grapple check. If grappling with middle legs the man-eater spider can still take partial actions as well as grappling, but it cannot climb. Man-eater spiders all have the stability ability, +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground, man-eater spiders also get this bonus when climbing. Man-eater spiders also gain a natural +5 on grapple checks when they aren’t grappling with only middle legs.

Venom: Sandtrap Man-eater Spider venom is extremely toxic, and comes through their bite. The poison is DC 20 fort save, 2d4 con/2d4 con damage.

Webs: As a standard action Sandtrap Man-eater spiders can shoot webs from a spinneret on their abdomen. It functions as a Web spell. If someone is being grappled by the Man-eater spider’s middle legs when the spider shoots its web they are automatically hit by the web as if they had failed their reflex save. This ability can only be used once every 1d4 rounds.

Camouflage: Sandtrap man-eater spiders are the exact color of a stretch of sand. They half bury themselves into the sand of a desert, then wait for someone to pass by. They get a +10 hide bonus and can hide without cover if they are on sand.

Sneak Attack +5d6: As the rogue ability.

This time WITH a poll that works correctly! woohoo!

Matthew
2007-04-06, 07:13 PM
Shouldn't these be Large, if they are Man Eaters?

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-13, 08:57 PM
Why does the sandtrap spider have a climb speed but not a burrow speed?

Demented
2007-04-13, 09:53 PM
Shouldn't these be Large, if they are Man Eaters?

Not necessarily.

The real question is, are Man-Eater Spiders eaten by Spider Eaters (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/spiderEater.htm)?

Matthew
2007-04-13, 09:57 PM
Heh. Maybe. I wish I had one of those, there's a frickin' huge Spider eluding me in my room at the moment...

Still, a Monstrous Spider (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/monstrousSpider.htm) with 4D8+8 HP strikes me as Large.

Demented
2007-04-13, 10:11 PM
I like to thwack spiders with the broad side of a hand saw. Though, that's not so helpful inside, since the big ones are a pain to wash off the wall and their guts go everywhere.

Though it seems you're right that 4 hit dice is rather meaty for medium-sized vermin.

Icewalker
2007-04-14, 12:44 AM
Why does the sandtrap spider have a climb speed but not a burrow speed?

Yeah, it doesn't really need a climb speed. But the sandtrap spiders don't really burrow as much...they just dig a hole into the ground and hide in it, they don't actually have an underground digging movement.

Well, everyone else is trying to convince me they should be large, so I guess I'll change em. The mechanics should be correct for a large creature now (thats +4 grapple, -1 AC and -1 hit right?) and I upped the con by 2 on each of em, considering the increased size.

Lord Iames Osari
2007-05-11, 02:35 PM
Bump. Keep voting, people!

DracoDei
2007-05-30, 05:13 PM
First you say the stability bonus only applies while they are standing on the ground... then you say they get it while they are climbing... confusing.

aaron_the_cow
2007-05-30, 05:35 PM
8 legged: As a well-coordinated 8-legged creature, Man-Eater Spiders have several special qualities.
you wrote this is sand trap spiders.

Icewalker
2007-05-30, 05:41 PM
What I meant by that is that 'man-eater spiders' is more of a general group, on the idea of possibly making more than these two.

As to the climbing part.

Those are two different things. When grappling with middle legs it cannot climb. The man-eater spiders also get the 'stability' bonus, completely independent of the middle legged grappling ability. That grants +4 against bull rush and trip checks, and the spiders get it when climbing too.