PDA

View Full Version : Artifacts to give to a player

Crake
2015-02-09, 10:43 PM
Ok, so one of my campaign's is nearing it's climax, and the players have pooled their money into the party fighter dude (actually a warblade//psion gestalt) and are looking to buy an artifact. Partly because, well, who doesn't like artifacts, and partly because it's a disjunction deterrant. So I've started wondering, what artifacts out there might possibly be for sale, the players have around half a million GP that they can blow. No nuclear artifacts, like the annulus that can just pop even gods, since those kinds of things would be locked away, not for sale, and I think the player would preferrably stay away from evil/good aligned artifacts, if at all possible. Oh, and preferrably not ones that are known to be "owned" by another entity, like the wand of orcus or the ruby rod of asmodeus.

For reference, they are going to my setting's equivilent of sigil, so yes, artifacts of decent power would be available for sale, despite what the DMG says about them being priceless.

CGNefarious
2015-02-09, 11:32 PM
Does your fighter have a weapon preference? I'm quite partial to Blackrazor, and depending on which version you use it could be very powerful. If you're looking for more powerful than that, I have no idea. I've never even gotten close to epic levels.

Crake
2015-02-10, 12:09 AM
Does your fighter have a weapon preference? I'm quite partial to Blackrazor, and depending on which version you use it could be very powerful. If you're looking for more powerful than that, I have no idea. I've never even gotten close to epic levels.

I'm aware there's one in White Plume Mountain, are there other versions out there?

Edit: Ah, found the one in the arms and equipment guide. Both are a little tame for what i'm looking for though.

Flickerdart
2015-02-10, 12:17 AM
A paltry 500,000gp won't buy you an artifact, but it might just get you a sliver of information that starts an entire campaign leading to its acquisition. I mean hell, a +11 weapon (a puny +1 more than a regular sub-epic stick you can buy in a store) is 2,420,000.

Crake
2015-02-10, 12:30 AM
A paltry 500,000gp won't buy you an artifact, but it might just get you a sliver of information that starts an entire campaign leading to its acquisition. I mean hell, a +11 weapon (a puny +1 more than a regular sub-epic stick you can buy in a store) is 2,420,000.

Yeah, I know, but for the purposes of this campaign, I'm willing to let them acquire one for that cash, since they sold one earlier, the blade of fiery might from lord of the iron fortress, for roleplay purposes (I say sold, I really mean gave away and got a reward in return for it). I wasn't running the module as part of the original adventure path, but instead incorporated it separately into my game, where they sold it to the genie who originally destroyed it, since it was going to be used against his city, the same city where they're going to buy another artifact, so think of it as the players getting a discount for their services. That's why i'm looking for more generic artifacts, ones that this genie may have collected over time, but not anything that he couldn't get his hands on (like demon princes' and demon lords' artifacts), or things that might be used against him (like a sphere or anihilation or the annulus).

Flickerdart
2015-02-10, 12:35 AM
Ah, so it's really more like a trade than anything.

Golem Armor is very cool, especially for a psion (who doesn't care about ASF). You should also consider building an Epic Intelligent Item and just calling it an artifact, because most artifacts are actually hella lame and these at least have decent powers someone will care about.

Frankly you should make whatever item you give them be intelligent, anyway. These are always great fun.

Crake
2015-02-10, 02:15 AM
Ah, so it's really more like a trade than anything.

Golem Armor is very cool, especially for a psion (who doesn't care about ASF). You should also consider building an Epic Intelligent Item and just calling it an artifact, because most artifacts are actually hella lame and these at least have decent powers someone will care about.

Frankly you should make whatever item you give them be intelligent, anyway. These are always great fun.

Golem armor actualy looks pretty cool, though the lack of healing could present a problem. I'm wondering if I should at least allow the repair damage spells to heal, since I'm guessing it's supposed to mimic a golem's inability to be healed, but they can still be repaired.

As for just giving him an epic item, a ring of epic psionics IX could be good, netting him a total of 147 extra power points, which is a hefty bonus for him.

Worst case scenario, I suppose I could just go ahead and design a custom epic item for him, but I'd rather save that for last case, and use something pre-published.

Baroknik
2015-02-10, 04:52 AM
The answer is always the same...
End your campaign by handing them a deck of many things.

Crake
2015-02-10, 06:12 AM
The answer is always the same...
End your campaign by handing them a deck of many things.

as funny as that would be, at the level they're at, they would have no problem with any of the cards drawn, short of the ones that give permanent ability score losses

Edit: re-reading it, they aren't even permanent, idiot is drain, so it can be fixed with restoration

Flickerdart
2015-02-10, 10:24 AM
Golem armor actualy looks pretty cool, though the lack of healing could present a problem. I'm wondering if I should at least allow the repair damage spells to heal, since I'm guessing it's supposed to mimic a golem's inability to be healed, but they can still be repaired.
It just takes an hour to take it off, and then he can be healed. Unless your PCs are on a tight "8 hours rest, 15 minutes to prepare spells, 15 hours 45 minutes of back to back face crushing" schedule they should be able to spare this.

SimonMoon6
2015-02-10, 10:38 AM
I like the Ring of Gax.

First, it gives fairly mediocre abilities. And they're random each day, so it's hard to plan around.

But the best part is, if anybody else takes the ring, the person who used to own it is screwed and might as well make a new character. :) And if the party tries to "share" the ring, well that's just about a TPK right there.

Zaq
2015-02-10, 01:59 PM
I like the Ring of Gax.

First, it gives fairly mediocre abilities. And they're random each day, so it's hard to plan around.

But the best part is, if anybody else takes the ring, the person who used to own it is screwed and might as well make a new character. :) And if the party tries to "share" the ring, well that's just about a TPK right there.

Why you gotta be that guy, Gax?

Crake
2015-02-10, 03:59 PM
I like the Ring of Gax.

Yeah, probably not...